"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the idea of an "Oops I did it again "club. Is there a lifetime membership offer on? I think I might need it.:)

Woke this morning fbg 6.4, had a little cough and loads of yellow sputum came up. ***? Had a little breakfast of ff greek with seeds and raspberries. Felt sleepy so went back to bed and woke at 1pm!! *** again! Have been in bed since as no energy at all. No temperature, no more coughing and haven't seen anyone except hubby and live in son who has been home since 23rd Dec. Going to try getting up soon but not sure whats going on at all.
Feeling hungry so that's a good sign...isn't it?

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re dates, the Caldesi cookbook i was given for Christmas has several recipes where the sweetener element is just 2 medjool dates. I like the idea of them being natural BUT how on earth is one supposed to use just 2 then ignore the rest tha tcall out from inside the deepest darkest recesses of the cupboard constantly and loudly?
I tried giving the remainder to hubby but he moaned about the calories and left them so I had to eat them! I habent dared buy any since.
Anyone know where I can buy just 2 at a time?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love medjool dates. Trouble is stopping at one and even one is too much, so I try not to have them in the house at all. Too much temptation. Other dates don't do anything for me though, so it's safe to have them around for the odd occasion when Neil feels that he can eat a date.

Just had a bowl of porridge with double cream for my breakfast. Stomach seems to be holding up so far. Later I have some duck breasts to cook (fry, I imagine) and some Brussels sprouts. That might be a bit of a risk but I'll see how it goes.

Just waiting for a phone call from the GP to see if he has any other ideas about my lungs and/or what went wrong over Christmas and New Year. I think a big part of the problem was the high dose of Furosemide that I was told to take by a stranger doctor - not an overdose, but a bit too much for me (160 mg a day). I think the new ways of doing things are leading to problems with treatment/medication because the doctor isn't there to discuss what is happening, and then you can't get the same one again when you need to ask about what is happening.
My brother loved dates. I couldn't really take to them. I do hope they get to the bottom of your issues @Annb (although the way I've felt the last 2 days I think I ought to tell myself the same).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re dates, the Caldesi cookbook i was given for Christmas has several recipes where the sweetener element is just 2 medjool dates. I like the idea of them being natural BUT how on earth is one supposed to use just 2 then ignore the rest tha tcall out from inside the deepest darkest recesses of the cupboard constantly and loudly?
I tried giving the remainder to hubby but he moaned about the calories and left them so I had to eat them! I habent dared buy any since.
Anyone know where I can buy just 2 at a time?
Never going to be a problem for me but would this help?. Hemsley sisters do use dates so obviously well worth considering but aren't they ultra carby? Anyhow, enjoy them they always look enticing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsA2

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother loved dates. I couldn't really take to them. I do hope they get to the bottom of your issues @Annb (although the way I've felt the last 2 days I think I ought to tell myself the same).

@maglil55 Do you think all this repeated feeling unwell, from which we both seem to suffer, has anything to do with the "long covid" syndrome? Or are we just making excuses for some other conditions?

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never going to be a problem for me but would this help?. Hemsley sisters do use dates so obviously well worth considering but aren't they ultra carby? Anyhow, enjoy them they always look enticing.
Ooh, I hadn't thought about freezing them. Maybe I wouldn't hear them calling out from the freezer..especially if I use the one in the garage

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your best bet would be to throw a diabetics date party after covid, with exactly enough dates to let everybody eat just one!
I'd have to be very careful to explain what date I was offering!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recipes tend to use just 2 in 12 eventual portions. Its all about moderation ( says her with no self control at all!!)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 Do you think all this repeated feeling unwell, from which we both seem to suffer, has anything to do with the "long covid" syndrome? Or are we just making excuses for some other conditions?
No I don't. I suspect it's very much long covid. There's two facebook groups for long covid - one open to any long covid-er the other a Scottish Group. England is taking it quite seriously as they are reporting that they are setting up clinics that patients can be referred to for more specific treatment. Scottish group are rather miffed as there are no plans here. The big group has been quite reassuring as they ask about different symptoms and it certainly made me feel better to know there were lots more that had the same symptoms. Also interesting is the number that have had various tests but they reveal nothing. However, they are still finding ways to treat them. A lot are like us without a confirmed diagnosis as you couldn't get tested or it was too late after infection for antibody tests. I still think this is a bug although I'm floored with fatigue again. Thankfully I was only breathless one day.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh, I hadn't thought about freezing them. Maybe I wouldn't hear them calling out from the freezer..especially if I use the one in the garage

I wonder if freezing dates would reduce the effect of the carbs as it is said to do with potato. Also wonder what Medjool ice lollies would taste like.

Had my duck. I fried it for 5 minutes and then finished it in the oven. Used the last of the shredded Brussels sprouts fried in the duck fat with some already-roasted garlic. The duck was disappointing in size. I was hoping one piece would be enough and I would have one left for tomorrow. But they were tiny, so I sliced them up and just mixed them with the sprouts. It didn't look much, but it tasted fine. Baking a ham in the oven just now, for tomorrow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get 1/2 bottle glasses too!

Haha you’re as bad for my purse as @DCUKMod !
Did you ever have a shop called Tchibo?
It was a coffee shop which also sold an ever changing variety of kitchen and homeware. The stock changed weekly so you never knew what would be there. I don’t know if they still exist I think it was a German or Swedish group. I loved it. Coffee was great and the quality of the other stuff was really good and inexpensive. I bought our wine glasses there, they must be 25 yrs old but I still haven’t seen any I prefer. Very simple design and good shape ( I also bought a ton of other stuff there and had to stop myself going in every week!)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't. I suspect it's very much long covid. There's two facebook groups for long covid - one open to any long covid-er the other a Scottish Group. England is taking it quite seriously as they are reporting that they are setting up clinics that patients can be referred to for more specific treatment. Scottish group are rather miffed as there are no plans here. The big group has been quite reassuring as they ask about different symptoms and it certainly made me feel better to know there were lots more that had the same symptoms. Also interesting is the number that have had various tests but they reveal nothing. However, they are still finding ways to treat them. A lot are like us without a confirmed diagnosis as you couldn't get tested or it was too late after infection for antibody tests. I still think this is a bug although I'm floored with fatigue again. Thankfully I was only breathless one day.

It really is ‘long’ isn’t it? It’s been many months now and to still be wiped out by it is quite a worry.
I wonder if it’s exacerbated by stress/ anxiety like so many other things are? You certainly have an awful lot to deal with at the moment so it must be even harder when this bug resurfaces and lays you low.

Reactions: maglil55