"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w and @Goonergal you both mention evening exercise doesn’t cause such a spike, that’s interesting. I always go in the morning in a fasted state. I often feel a bit sick with some of the exercises so I’d be worried about doing them unless my stomach was empty!
I’ve tried doing the same thing at home in the evening and I don’t get the same sort of spike but I’d assumed that it was because I’m not working as hard without the PT telling me I’m ‘smashing it’ . Maybe it just because it’s evening.
@ianpspurs do you still have your home gym? I know you used to use the exercise bike a lot.
@DJC3 I still have all the equipment and it is set up but in very odd places. The garage conversion was to be a gym but is still a floor to ceiling warehouse. The exercise bike only fits in the 2nd bedroom for now. Initially that was fine but MIL is in a bubble with Julie and has used it a couple of times plus all the alterations have meant turmoil. I used the bike again Friday and must use the weight machine as well - not happy with it in a bedroom. The bike is also a little too heavy for my peace of mind especially when I sprint. That is a big factor in my disillusion with the move which in turn impacts on my disenchantment with this woe. Until we and the boys are vaccinated things won't change much. They can then move things and I will push for an A1c - well over a year now but that was impacted by treatment for cancer I think/hope. I know this is a long game but if it was a football manager it feels long past the time it would be sacked for poor results and dire tactics. I would put up with the manifold issues for good results - big pressure on next A1c. I need to force myself to take pleasure in other people's success rather than my current failure. I look at you for e.g. and bang my head against a wall in despair.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so I experimented with exercise bike and readings. Varied success. HIIT on exercise bike is a no no while it is in a bedroom. 2 flat out sprints and Julie was shouting stop, the door frame is shaking. Rest of sprint 8 faster for 30 secs but not flat out. Bg - after no food just cwc drop of ..5 at immediate finish then 1 within 10 mins. Shower raises bg significantly - anyone tested before or after an ice bath or similar?

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shower raises bg significantly - anyone tested before or after an ice bath or similar?

I think you’re using a Libre? Someone on here reported - can’t remember who, but @Antje77 might recall - that the Libre often shows a rise after a hot shower as the sensor is affected by the heat, but if you were to cross-check with a finger prick, there’d likely be no rise.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you’re using a Libre? Someone on here reported - can’t remember who, but @Antje77 might recall - that the Libre often shows a rise after a hot shower as the sensor is affected by the heat, but if you were to cross-check with a finger prick, there’d likely be no rise.
I did report a short rise and fall after a shower on my Libre, and my vague intention to double check with a finger prick if this truly happens or only on the Libre, but never came around to doing so.
anyone tested before or after an ice bath or similar?
I am very sure I'm not nearly curious enough to try that one!
Although swimming in cold water seems to make me drop faster than swimming in a swimming pool.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal you both mention evening exercise doesn’t cause such a spike, that’s interesting. I always go in the morning in a fasted state. I often feel a bit sick with some of the exercises so I’d be worried about doing them unless my stomach was empty!

That could just be the physical effort.

Most of my exercise is in a fasted state, but it’s only high intensity stuff that seems to have a higher rise in the morning than later in the day. Walking tends to bring it down, except when I overdo it and the liver panics and sends it up again. Swimming reliably drops it significantly, as does Pilates.

Pilates is the only one of those routinely done in the evening and therefore after food.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Another unintentional fast day. Stomach and the rest still playing up so I've spent most of the day slumped in the big chair or in bed. That big chair is too handy and too comfortable. Eventually (about 3 pm) I dragged myself up and washed and dressed. Feeling slightly less nauseous, but not prepared to risk anything other than water or tea.

Need to do something with those cold wings from yesterday and with the stock made from the chicken carcass. The rest of the chicken is in the freezer in little boxes of one portion each.

Health Centre not open until Tuesday, so will have to wait until then to try to get hold of a doctor. I did consider calling NHS 24 again last night (thought I was on the point of bowing out - breathless , dizzy and palpitations on top of the rest. BG was 4.8 at that stage so it wasn't a hypo.) but just decided to go to sleep and felt not quite so bad by this morning. BG currently 8.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another unintentional fast day. Stomach and the rest still playing up so I've spent most of the day slumped in the big chair or in bed. That big chair is too handy and too comfortable. Eventually (about 3 pm) I dragged myself up and washed and dressed. Feeling slightly less nauseous, but not prepared to risk anything other than water or tea.

Need to do something with those cold wings from yesterday and with the stock made from the chicken carcass. The rest of the chicken is in the freezer in little boxes of one portion each.

Health Centre not open until Tuesday, so will have to wait until then to try to get hold of a doctor. I did consider calling NHS 24 again last night (thought I was on the point of bowing out - breathless , dizzy and palpitations on top of the rest. BG was 4.8 at that stage so it wasn't a hypo.) but just decided to go to sleep and felt not quite so bad by this morning. BG currently 8.
Hug for the health issues. If I were to experience the breathlessness, dizziness and heart palpitations I would phone NHS just to be safe.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hug for the health issues. If I were to experience the breathlessness, dizziness and heart palpitations I would phone NHS just to be safe.

Actually - it's not a new thing. It's not a panic attack - I'm not the panicking type. But my heart has been checked several times - it will give out eventually, like my mother's but I've already gained 7 years on her. At present, apart from an "odd" pattern, there's nothing to worry about. The palpitations are something to do with my heart being a bit closer to the centre of my chest than normal - again like my mother. I'm hoping to last out a bit longer and, despite everything, feel quite robust. So I don't worry about it too much.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so I experimented with exercise bike and readings. Varied success. HIIT on exercise bike is a no no while it is in a bedroom. 2 flat out sprints and Julie was shouting stop, the door frame is shaking. Rest of print 8 faster for 30 secs but not flat out. Bg - after no food just cwc drop of ..5 at immediate finish then 1 within 10 mins. Shower raises bg significantly - anyone tested before or after an ice bath or similar?

I’m considering joining a group of open water swimmers who go out in the sea near me. I’ve heard there are tremendous benefits health wise, and met someone this weekend who belongs to the group. I hadn’t thought about the effects on BG though. It’ll be interesting to see.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I still have all the equipment and it is set up but in very odd places. The garage conversion was to be a gym but is still a floor to ceiling warehouse. The exercise bike only fits in the 2nd bedroom for now. Initially that was fine but MIL is in a bubble with Julie and has used it a couple of times plus all the alterations have meant turmoil. I used the bike again Friday and must use the weight machine as well - not happy with it in a bedroom. The bike is also a little too heavy for my peace of mind especially when I sprint. That is a big factor in my disillusion with the move which in turn impacts on my disenchantment with this woe. Until we and the boys are vaccinated things won't change much. They can then move things and I will push for an A1c - well over a year now but that was impacted by treatment for cancer I think/hope. I know this is a long game but if it was a football manager it feels long past the time it would be sacked for poor results and dire tactics. I would put up with the manifold issues for good results - big pressure on next A1c. I need to force myself to take pleasure in other people's success rather than my current failure. I look at you for e.g. and bang my head against a wall in despair.

I really sympathise with you about the physical and emotional upheaval of your move. I know how rooted you were in your old house. It was very similar for me when we moved. I’d grown up in our big W London house, and so had my children. It was a real wrench to leave. Our Cornish home is small and I can’t fit everything in comfortably. My exercise bike was in the sitting room initially so I could watch some **** tv while pedalling away. Now we have No 2 daughter and her partner with us ( this was originally supposed to be a little nook for just Paul and I ) there is less space and my bike is in the bedroom, barely accessible and used as a clothes horse.
I think you compare yourself unfavourably with others too much. We are all struggling with all sorts of stuff and we all got here by different routes. You seem to be doing a lot better than me by my estimation, and can’t be called a failure in anybody’s eyes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes - I've been in touch, even phoned NHS 24 and had a doctor come out to me. Trouble is, there seems to be no communication between one doctor and another and not convinced they read whatever notes there are. I will be trying again after the holiday (next week) to see if I can talk to the doctor I have seen most often. Whether he wants to see me again, I don't know. Lung problem seems to be coming and going - breathless one day and OK the next. Don't know about BP - I have no accurate way of telling, but all other signs seem to be OK.

Taking the wings off of the baking tray, one of them stuck and pulled apart so I had about 3 slivers of the meat. Some went to my stomach and set up my familiar burning sensation and some stuck in my throat. Drinking lots of tea to dislodge it at present.:rolleyes:
Wow! That was quite something getting a home visit. In the Central Belt it's like trying to break into Fort Knox to get into the surgery even when you do manage to get an appointment. Once in, there are no other patients there. I have no idea what is going on.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the commiserations, @DJC3. It was probably a combination of the kitchen cleaning and the lack of wine. Wine tends to dampen the spikes a little. I usually work out at night -- after dinner and wine, so spikes are usually very reasonable, often even stays below 6 mmol.

I see a difference between breaking down my half-hour routine into several smaller bits when it is only slightly raised (today played it safe and did 10 four- to five-minutes intervals and even then it only went up to 5.6) or larger intervals of exercise (15 minutes or more) when it goes higher.

What is your experience when exercising? What type of exercise raises your levels? What type lowers them?
I have come to the conclusion I need to drink more gin! One blackcurrant gin became 3 on Hogmanay and I woke up at 4.30 very thirsty and at 4.2. I now only have 2 blackcurrant gins left but I've since bought an orange gin. I have another two bottles but can't remember what they are. I know I bought one because it was a nice bottle??

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have come to the conclusion I need to drink more gin! One blackcurrant gin became 3 on Hogmanay and I woke up at 4.30 very thirsty and at 4.2. I now only have 2 blackcurrant gins left but I've since bought an orange gin. I have another two bottles but can't remember what they are. I know I bought one because it was a nice bottle??

Maglil55 you are my hero!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w and @Goonergal you both mention evening exercise doesn’t cause such a spike, that’s interesting. I always go in the morning in a fasted state. I often feel a bit sick with some of the exercises so I’d be worried about doing them unless my stomach was empty!
I’ve tried doing the same thing at home in the evening and I don’t get the same sort of spike but I’d assumed that it was because I’m not working as hard without the PT telling me I’m ‘smashing it’ . Maybe it just because it’s evening.
@ianpspurs do you still have your home gym? I know you used to use the exercise bike a lot.
Before all this started when I was gym then Aqua/swimming. I found I had to eat something pre gym otherwise my BGs rose which was disappointing even although they came down quickly and continued to fall. I didn't have to eat anything much. Something like a GF oatcake or a cracker just so long as there were a few carbs in it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That could just be the physical effort.

Most of my exercise is in a fasted state, but it’s only high intensity stuff that seems to have a higher rise in the morning than later in the day. Walking tends to bring it down, except when I overdo it and the liver panics and sends it up again. Swimming reliably drops it significantly, as does Pilates.

Pilates is the only one of those routinely done in the evening and therefore after food.
Liver panics. That raises strange pictures in my mind.
sad-suffering-sick-cute-human-260nw-1394915735.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually - it's not a new thing. It's not a panic attack - I'm not the panicking type. But my heart has been checked several times - it will give out eventually, like my mother's but I've already gained 7 years on her. At present, apart from an "odd" pattern, there's nothing to worry about. The palpitations are something to do with my heart being a bit closer to the centre of my chest than normal - again like my mother. I'm hoping to last out a bit longer and, despite everything, feel quite robust. So I don't worry about it too much.
I'm back to some breathlessness again but it is simply because I have another cold plus it has been very chilly out. Back on the hot showers and Vick again.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m considering joining a group of open water swimmers who go out in the sea near me. I’ve heard there are tremendous benefits health wise, and met someone this weekend who belongs to the group. I hadn’t thought about the effects on BG though. It’ll be interesting to see.
My niece (one who now lives in what was brother's house) did a half Triathlon (1/2 the distances on open water swimming, cycling and running). She's a very strong swimmer and runs at least 5k daily - a very fit young lady. She loves the open water stuff. Roger (my brother) was the same. He had all the life saving awards including the Cross that involved open water swimming too.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely love swimming in open water!
Not necessarily the very active kind but just playing around and perhaps swimming to 'that buoy' or 'the other ship' makes me very happy.
If I had to name a single thing where diabetes makes me most frustrated it would be this! (Ok, and crisps before bed, but let's not go into that.)
I don't trust I'd feel a hypo soon enough to safely treat away from shore/boat/inflatable toy when my senses are busy with the cold of the water, the swimming, sweating from exercise, joy of playing outside whenever I'm farther than say 30 meters from safety and a means to test. No problem treating a hypo in the water, but I'd be imagining hypo's all the time, making it even harder to determine if I'm approaching danger zone.

I thought I had found the solution with the Watlaa watch, which can communicate with the Libre sensor without a phone in between, allowing to see what my bg would be doing without somehow taking my phone for a swim, but it turned out the Watlaa isn't waterproof :banghead:
While my Libres tend to be off by a fair bit, I trust them enough to keep me safe on open water. So if anyone has ideas on seeing my bg while swimming, it would be very much appreciated! After all, it's only a bit over 4 months until swimming outside will be fun again :D

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely love swimming in open water!
Not necessarily the very active kind but just playing around and perhaps swimming to 'that buoy' or 'the other ship' makes me very happy.
If I had to name a single thing where diabetes makes me most frustrated it would be this! (Ok, and crisps before bed, but let's not go into that.)
I don't trust I'd feel a hypo soon enough to safely treat away from shore/boat/inflatable toy when my senses are busy with the cold of the water, the swimming, sweating from exercise, joy of playing outside whenever I'm farther than say 30 meters from safety and a means to test. No problem treating a hypo in the water, but I'd be imagining hypo's all the time, making it even harder to determine if I'm approaching danger zone.

I thought I had found the solution with the Watlaa watch, which can communicate with the Libre sensor without a phone in between, allowing to see what my bg would be doing without somehow taking my phone for a swim, but it turned out the Watlaa isn't waterproof :banghead:
While my Libres tend to be off by a fair bit, I trust them enough to keep me safe on open water. So if anyone has ideas on seeing my bg while swimming, it would be very much appreciated! After all, it's only a bit over 4 months until swimming outside will be fun again :D

Have you seen those waterproof ziplock type phone bags? I got one a couple of years back in Iceland when we were floating around in the blue lagoon. You can take photos on your phone through it but I don’t know if it’d scan your sensor through the plastic. Might be worth looking into. Definitely worth it if means you can go out in the water again.
Edit to add - there are plenty in Amazon but I couldn’t copy the link

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you seen those waterproof ziplock type phone bags? I got one a couple of years back in Iceland when we were floating around in the blue lagoon. You can take photos on your phone through it but I don’t know if it’d scan your sensor through the plastic. Might be worth looking into. Definitely worth it if means you can go out in the water again.
Edit to add - there are plenty in Amazon but I couldn’t copy the link
I have, but I have trouble getting my phone screen to do what I want through the plastic. I also haven't dared putting those bags to the test actually under water (as opposed to a bit of splashing on board or close to water).
Perhaps I should try again :)
I have an old phone laying about which might be coaxed into life again, if I try it with that one on the last day of a sensor...

I'll have to wait for the swimming pool to reopen (or the weather getting warm enough of course, but I do hope the pool will be sooner!) but you've given me new courage to try this!

Reactions: Annb and DJC3