Looking for suggestions/alternatives to cheese...

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those look delicious. Unfortunately they don’t ship to Canada. ;)
I do make my own similar to those.
Maybe a local ethnic store will stock them? Is there a Polish community anywhere nearby? The other jarred salads in the range are good too. Just add that bit of variety and crunch I miss

Hotpepper20000

Maybe a local ethnic store will stock them? Is there a Polish community anywhere nearby? The other jarred salads in the range are good too. Just add that bit of variety and crunch I miss
I will look in to it we have a few delis around and I’ll ask about the brand.
I’m trying carnivore January. So it will have to wait.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to Lidl's this afternoon and came back with this.....

upload_2021-1-6_20-28-38.jpeg

Once opened eat within 3 days!!

Reactions: lucylocket61

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Once opened eat within 3 days!!
I wouldn't believe that part, it's salami. Which is designed to keep meat for a long while without refrigerating.
How do they even manage to alter salami in such a way that it will go off in a couple of days instead of months?

Reactions: Robbity

Hotpepper20000

I wouldn't believe that part, it's salami. Which is designed to keep meat for a long while without refrigerating.
How do they even manage to alter salami in such a way that it will go off in a couple of days instead of months?
I don’t think it would. But there are food safety regulations that require it to be printed on the package in some countries.
I would just take it as a challenge.
Salami omelettes, salami lunch, then salami supper.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like a chunk of cheese wrapped in a slice of ham with maybe mustard or mayo! You can also buy in some supermarket snack packs of mini chorizo bites. Try baking slices of chorizo or salami and they are a good crisp substitute and good with a creamy dip. Or for something 'sweet', mix 1 tbsp peanut butter with 2 tbsp double cream and mix well - it forms a kind of fudge substitute.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Lidl today and saw these. Didn't realise how huge it is! How does it taste?
Not actually started yet, ploughing through some excess eggs at the moment.

I will report back when the day arrives. :)

Reactions: MrsA2

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I come from a country where this is staple food--air dried beef slices-they're very, very good-I found the equivalent method of air drying in bresaola (air dried italian beef slices) at Tesco's online. .Great for just having something in the fridge instead of cheese.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/304404829

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a bit like 350 million year old Himalayan salt, use by next Tuesday.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a lot of different cheeses and generally vary what other protein, salad stuff, olives, nuts, etc, I have with them, but I also buy packs of various cooked meats (beef, tongue, chicken, salami, ham - all with as few additives as possible!) or fish, prawns, smoked salmon on offer, and tinned tuna, crab. etc, as non cheesy options.

My lunches are always bought as part of my regular shopping and I try to get a couple of different options each week and with each order, so I don't get bored - I believe in plenty of variety. :hungry:

Reactions: hankjam