Type 2 Question on spike.

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I guess this is a question about absolute versus relative numbers.

I’m T2 and in remission via LCHF diet and exercise. The other day decided to check things:

Reading before lunch = 4.9 mmol/L
Reading after 1.5 hrs = 7.4
Reading after 2 hrs = 5.8

So here’s the question. In itself a peak of 7.4 (assuming that was the peak) is not that high. But relative to my pre-meal 4.9 reading, it’s an increase of 2.4.

Somewhere, I read that we should aim to limit the post meal spike to under 2 mmol/L. So is a spike of 2.4, even if within a reasonable range harmful?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

OptimisticT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
extreme heat...
these are great numbers..i wouldn't worry if i was you :)

we can't all have completely flat lines throughout a day!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People without diabetes see variations with their blood sugars when they eat and when they exercise.
For example, here are some graphs from a student using Libre. https://imgur.com/a/wLiNa He does not have diabetes but you see his numbers spike into the equivalent of over 9mmol/l/
So, I would not worry at all about your numbers @johnrubinstein

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I guess this is a question about absolute versus relative numbers.

I’m T2 and in remission via LCHF diet and exercise. The other day decided to check things:

Reading before lunch = 4.9 mmol/L
Reading after 1.5 hrs = 7.4
Reading after 2 hrs = 5.8

So here’s the question. In itself a peak of 7.4 (assuming that was the peak) is not that high. But relative to my pre-meal 4.9 reading, it’s an increase of 2.4.

Somewhere, I read that we should aim to limit the post meal spike to under 2 mmol/L. So is a spike of 2.4, even if within a reasonable range harmful?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

As a type two, your pre meal is important because that is your baseline figure.
It is not so much the spike but the reading at two hours. That should be less than two mmols higher than pre meal.