Vegetable Recipes for the Newcastle Diet

lostinwales

Hi,

I have just started the newcastle diet and I was wondering if there's varied recipes I can try with the vegetables?
I have tried to find some with no luck so some help would be greatly appreciated.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, :)

Good luck with your ND diet.
If you like recipes and good taste there could be problems ahead.

it’s essential that you consult your doctor before starting any weight loss plan, including one based on meal replacements, as your medication might need to be adjusted as a result.

Roy, :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to make an onion soup. Dead easy. Soften an onion, add some seasoning (I used to use barbeque seasoning) to the onions and fry for 1 min, and then throw in a pint of good beef stock. Simmer for 10 mins, then whizz up using a stick blender, leaving some chunks of onion. simmer 5 mins more, then enjoy.

Delicious, and satisfying.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Hi LIW

Last night I dry fried 250 gm of cauliflower and liberally sprinkled a nice curry powder over it (about a desert spoon). Then slow roasted it for about an hour. I think I'm going to do this much more often - fantastic flavour. Might even consider blending it down for a soup - but the texture was also really nice as roasted veg. Its bit more grown up.

I have also found some vinaigrettes at Waitrose - great to mask the bland taste of crunchy salads. But add this at the last minute - or it turns the salad soggy.

Another thing I have tried is garlic mushrooms. I just crush about 4 cloves of garlic over 250 gm of button mushrooms, then place them in a shallow dish and bake for about 30 minutes. Give them a stir as you go along - to circulate the garlic. It caramelises nicely and the juice released from the mushrooms helps the garlic coat the mushrooms. It has a really strong flavour and lovely texture - almost good enough to serve as a meat substitute.

I don't really like the soup idea so much - it feels like more of a starter than a main - but I did have a go at a simple sweet pepper and tomato soup. About 125 gm of each and 300ml of vegie stock (I have used a piece of a stock cube in plain water). The secret is to roast the veg first. This intensifies the flavour. You want to get it to the point where the colour changes noticeably. I leave skin on - but it has a smoother texture if you can take the skin off (I can be bothered!). I don't seed the tomatoes because the sweetness of the pepers counters the bitterness of the seeds - and the more texture the better - I say! Combine with the stock - blend and serve. I top it with shredded basil.

If anyone has any broccoli ideas I would be very interested. I don't think you can serve overcooked broccoli to humans. Cant be served cold or uncooked - there are rules! It needs to have some heat and yet crunch and texture for the flavour - but it needs help. A half a teaspoon of lemon juice will help keep it vibrant and fresh - and then into the mocro for about 1 minute. A complementary herb like fresh chives or sage (maybe even toasted sage leaves) over lightly microwaved broccoli will work. Maybe a very small sprinkle of salt. Don't use coriander - tastes like dishwater. (haven't made my peace with that herb yet!)

I love a roasted carrot. Again - not over done - leave some crunch to it - about 40 minutes at 180c. But the intensity of flavour is lovely. Just a small sprinkle of salt. To stop them drying out I roast them in a foil pocket - and then take them out for the last 5 minutes. These are good with water chestnuts. The flavours work - and you have good textures. Tinned are good - lightly heated in the micro - or just as they are. A more classic combination would be some fresh grated ginger added to the roasting bag (about a teaspoon). Yum!

My dirty secret is Brussel sprouts. I realise quite a few of you will be signing off round about now (if you made it this far!) - but like broccoli - these need to be done right. Nothing wrong with boiling sprouts - but there is a danger in overdoing them. I like to microwave them - more even cook. Half a teaspoon of lemon juice - enough to keep the vibrance - not enough to change the taste. Then I slice two large shallots (I prefer the taste to onions). These need to be dry fried to death - take them right down to a crisp if you can. Try not to burn them - they go bitter - but a really dark brown - get as much moisture our of them as possible. This should work if you don't have too much heat. Sprinkle these over the sprouts - lovely.

I would combine celery, leaks and carrots to make a lovely vegie stock. (this is about all that celery is good for!). Add some garlic and a bit of salt and some herbs you like (not corriander - no-one likes that!) - and roast them for about 30 minutes - then add 1 ltr boiling water. Keep it in the oven and reduce it by half. Then strain it off. Keep the stock - throw the veg. This makes a great base for a soup - or veg stew.

Ratatouille is easy to do - if you can deal with the texture. the main ingredients are aubergines, tomatoes, courgettes, shallots and peppers (50 gm of each). I add one crushed clove of garlic to the onion - but don't add it till the onion is almost cooked - or it will burn. I like to use cherry tomatoes. The secret to this dish is not to make it too wet. Dry fry off each off the veg. A teaspoon of olive oil may help. Get them to the golden brown stage (except the tomatoes - of course - just soften them in the frying pan). I do them one veg at a time - then put them onto a tray in the oven to keep warm. Spread them out on the oven tray - so they don't go too soft. Once you have done each of them - bring them together with half a teaspoon of lemon juice, loads of black pepper and some torn (not cut) fresh basil and a small pinch of salt.

Don't know what to do about cabbage? Again - this could be tricky. Too soft and you have to throw it away (this is law in some countries). Shred 250 gm and lightly boil - then strain. Then dry fry with half a teaspoon of lemon juice and a desert spoon of good curry powder. The lemon juice will help the powder to coat the cabbage and keep it vibrant. Just cook it off for about 1-2 minutes in the frying pan till the curry smell intensifies. Yum!

I see no problem with making larger quantities of things I like and then reheating smaller amounts for a more varied plate of food. I am not a veggie by choice so making food interesting without protein is tough.

Let me know how you get on! Or if you have any suggestions.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fennel roasted with a quick spray of oil.

Kale, spread on a baking tray, season with garlic, or paprika low oven heat for 20 mins until dry and crunchy. Good substitute for crisps when you want a snack.

Cumin sprinkled on courgettes or any veg.

Mushrooms in microwave 2 mins with garlic and lemon juice.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Hi Pip

Love the Kale idea - going to give that one a try.

Steve

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and look after your gallbladder to try and prevent stones
add at least a tablespoon butter/ oil 10g in one meal per day
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8781321

I think that ND is one, that should be done under medical supervision, as prof taylor said.., it's the only one I know where you can hurt yourself if you aren't initially suitable to do it, inc heart attack.
a healthy person on a whim going on a 800 starvation diet is one thing, for the rest of us need to be monitored

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also think about things that add a lot of flavour with no or very little carbs/calories. curry powders, stock cubes [also good for salt] herbs and general spices can turn a salad or a soup into a treat.
I find with lc and ND would be the same, it would good try to vary the evening salad/veg/soup flavour..
mexican night, avocado and lemon with spices to have with the remainder of the veg/salad..good fats but you would need to weigh it to make sure it fits into your calories
italian night, fry onion, tomato with garlic and oregano with a 1/2 the olive oil, use the other half to sprinkle over the top to keep it's flavour
indian, thai etc.
becareful with magie packet and pastes, they could have too many calories added

by the time you work your way around the world, the 8 weeks will be over :)

Seamisty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Refuse to give them power here
This link didn't work for me

Seamisty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Refuse to give them power here
Hello, @Seamisty . Welcome.
You have posted on a very old thread, so any link may be lost forever. What are you looking for?
I am just starting on this forum and on the Newcastle diet. I am looking for recipes.. Thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)