Help gratefully received!

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
I have been T2 for about 8 years treated with Gliclazide. I came off of it about 5 years ago as LC got my HBA1c down. I needed to start it again about 2 years ago when it crept back up. Now I’m on 40mgx2 day. I also low carb.

last HBA1c was 43. I was told to ‘eat normally and don’t test’. Admittedly I indulged over Christmas my BG were off the chart... when I had a very modest amount of rice I went up to 31!!

Now I am back to strict LCHF for the last two weeks and my morning readings are still 12-15. It’s just gone wild.

I’m going in tomorrow for bloods and ketone check and the dr mentioned the possibility of insulin.

have I literally killed my pancreas over xmas?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
I have been T2 for about 8 years treated with Gliclazide. I came off of it about 5 years ago as LC got my HBA1c down. I needed to start it again about 2 years ago when it crept back up. Now I’m on 40mgx2 day. I also low carb.

last HBA1c was 43. I was told to ‘eat normally and don’t test’. Admittedly I indulged over Christmas my BG were off the chart... when I had a very modest amount of rice I went up to 31!!

Now I am back to strict LCHF for the last two weeks and my morning readings are still 12-15. It’s just gone wild.

I’m going in tomorrow for bloods and ketone check and the dr mentioned the possibility of insulin.

have I literally killed my pancreas over xmas?
I doubt you assassinated anyone over the holidays, least of all your pancreas. But it may have gotten a little overwhelmed and couldn't keep up with the sudden demand. And your morning readings could well be due to your liver having replenished its glucose stores. Give yourself some time. There's more people around here with the exact same issue, post-christmas, and the most they need is getting back o the wagon, emptying out that liver and getting back on track. Getting bloods etc done tomorrow might put you on a track to more meds than you require if you go back to low carb, so do discuss with your doc that you had a fluke over the holidays but are back to your previous diet, as it worked for you. May I ask how low carb you are at the moment? Maybe go over a day's meals and see whether there's some tweaking that can be done, temporarily or otherwise.
Good luck, in any case. Just know insulin for now is not a foregone conclusion, alright?
Jo

Reactions: KK123

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
I doubt you assassinated anyone over the holidays, least of all your pancreas. But it may have gotten a little overwhelmed and couldn't keep up with the sudden demand. And your morning readings could well be due to your liver having replenished its glucose stores. Give yourself some time. There's more people around here with the exact same issue, post-christmas, and the most they need is getting back o the wagon, emptying out that liver and getting back on track. Getting bloods etc done tomorrow might put you on a track to more meds than you require if you go back to low carb, so do discuss with your doc that you had a fluke over the holidays but are back to your previous diet, as it worked for you. May I ask how low carb you are at the moment? Maybe go over a day's meals and see whether there's some tweaking that can be done, temporarily or otherwise.
Good luck, in any case. Just know insulin for now is not a foregone conclusion, alright?
Jo
Taking walks help me to get things under control ............ Good Luck ..........

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much Jo for your reassurance! I didn’t realise that things could take a little while to settle after my wayward Christmas. Good to know that my assault on my pancreas is unlikely to have lead to its complete demise!

Jo
Jo

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm only just at pre Christmas levels now (particularly FBG), and the highest measurement I saw over Christmas was 7.9, i just saw some results in 7s every day for a week that i suspect recharged my liver.

AlfonsoJones

Max gliclazide dose is 160mg twice daily, you also have a host of other oral medication choices... insulin would only be normally considered if you were on 3x drugs ( unless these aren’t suitable for some reason) and still not to target