Help Required

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help Required
Hi guys,

I have a 12-year-old son who weighs roughly 60kg and is having so many hypos at the moment and will appreciate any advice if anyone has experienced the issue below.

I am awaiting for a call back from his diabetes team.

At present he is on 29.5 units of tresiba in the evening.
He wakes up within 5-10 mmol range which is fine.

At breakfast he is on 1.7 units of novorapid per 10g and is fine and within 4-8mmol at lunch.

At lunch he is on 0.3 units per 10g but he is going low soon after lunch (30 mins to a hour)& then keeps going low even after treating a hypo. He usually has to treat the hypo 2 -3 times before his glucose levels increase.

For his hypo treatment he either has 2 glucose tablets or 150 ml coke can or juice with a 10g biscuit

In the evening he is on 0.3 units per 10g and is fine up till bedtime but some days does go low

We are not sure what is causing so many hypos after lunch.
His blood glucose levels are fine during the night,when he wakes up and at lunchtime.

Is it possible that he does not need insulin during lunchtime ?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The first plan of action if it was i. Is look at what the long acting basal is doing..?
It seems to me like his Tresiba's working profile for your lad is most active the latter half of the day?
This link to basal testing may help him. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Best wishes.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Has his team offered him a pump? People do unfortunately have varying basal needs during the day so a pump can adjust for this. We're not allowed to give specific dosing advice but in my opinion if you don't want to lower his basal because it's working at night, the obvious thing to do is either decrease his lunchtime bolus or increase his lunchtime carbs (or some combination of the two). Or consider a mid afternoon snack???

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice guys.
We reduced his tresiba as per diabetic teams advice however he is waking up high but still going low in the afternoons with hardly any insulin being used at lunch.
Has anyone had to change from tresiba to another insulin due to tresiba not working great for them.

TypeZero.

Thanks for the advice guys.
We reduced his tresiba as per diabetic teams advice however he is waking up high but still going low in the afternoons with hardly any insulin being used at lunch.
Has anyone had to change from tresiba to another insulin due to tresiba not working great for them.

Switching to Levemir may be an option.

Levemir is a basal that is taken twice daily therefore you can adjust your insulin dose for Am vs Pm

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Switching to Levemir may be an option.

Levemir is a basal that is taken twice daily therefore you can adjust your insulin dose for Am vs Pm

Hi TZ,

Do you use Levey??

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could also try Lantus, i use to take it twice a day. Once first thing on a morning before breakfast & then again just before bed I think around 11pm. My AM & PM dose where both different which is something that could possibly work for your son.

Only reason I switched to tresiba was because I was gaining a lot of weight, my healthcare team thought it could of been because of the lantus but to be honest I was eating rubbish at the time.

Reactions: SueJB

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What time are breakfast and lunch? Any chance the tail of the breakfast novorapid is hitting as he eats lunch?

Exercising at all during the day? (Even a walk)

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast is around 8.30 & lunch is at 12.30.
He also has a mid morning 20g snack to stop him going low.

TypeZero.

Breakfast is around 8.30 & lunch is at 12.30.
He also has a mid morning 20g snack to stop him going low.

Call the diabetes hotline for your local area and ask them for suggestions. Most likely they will suggest either a basal or bolus ratio change