Covid vaccination

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had the covid vaccination and had any side effects? I'm type 1, have been for 44years, I took a reaction to my flu vaccination this year, it made my blood sugar very high for few days, I'm normally quite well controlled. I work as a health care assistant and I'm getting 1st vaccination on Tuesday and I'm nervous about any side effects that will affect my diabetes. Has anyone had it yet

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jazzyone Only my mum and step dad and both had sore arms for a couple of days but that was it, it’s a completely different mechanic to the flu vaccine and as we are all different it would be hard to say how it will affect you, I think I’ve had one bad flu jab in 9 years but it still doesn’t put me off getting it and looking forward to the possibility of having some immunity to COVID.

Reactions: jazzyone

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum has been called in for one.

My sister's father in law has had the two.. (He isn't in the best of health. Though non D.)
All seems good from the reports I've had from little sis regarding this..

Flu jabs. From my experience, it lessens the impact (at the very least should it be contracted.)
COVID? If/when the jab is offered up for me. I would still be wary till the R numbers abate..

Last edited:
Reactions: jazzyone

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know a few people who have had the vaccination, including some people with Type 1 diabetes.
Like any vaccination, the reactions have been varied. Most have had no reaction. One person with Type 1 has seen a slight increase in blood sugars but nothing significant.

I am looking forward to my jab - I would rather have the risk of a few days with higher blood sugars (or rather higher insulin doses) than covid.

Bear in mind the stress of worrying about the effect can effect your blood sugars.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had my first jab almost 3 weeks ago [Pfizer]. Next day had a little pain in the area of injection, similar to a Flu jab. My blood glucose readings increased significantly. I shall get the second jab on thursday and shall report back re the BG, if things remain the same, improve or worsen.

Last edited:

lgrenter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sprouts, broccoli,racism,arguing
My wife and I were lucky to have the Pfizer jab just over a week ago. We were contacted by our local council as we are foster careers ( I was very surprised as didn’t consider it to be a front line job tbh!). I’m 51 and been type 1 since I was 10 years old, have pretty good control so have been lucky with life so far. We both found jab to be painless, and wife had no side effects at all. I had a sore achy upper arm by that evening, that continued to the following lunchtime and I also gained a splitting headache when I got up that morning. Took paracetamol and felt fine by lunchtime and nothing further to report. I’m just so glad I had the jab as early as I have, now looking forward to number 2 at end of March. I had no change in blood sugars at all.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just guess you need to bear in mind that you are given a tiny tiny miniscule of the virus in the vax like the flu jab gives you flu and the poss elevated bs are your bodys response ... im having mine i can cope with an elevated bs for a day but cant cope with covid

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just guess you need to bear in mind that you are given a tiny tiny miniscule of the virus in the vax like the flu jab gives you flu and the poss elevated bs are your bodys response ... im having mine i can cope with an elevated bs for a day but cant cope with covid
The Pfizer vaccine doesn't work like that, it is a mRNA vaccine. Vaccination with small amounts of live vaccine is not used any more. If you are interested, this is a very good explanation of the types of vaccine.
https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/types-of-vaccine

Reactions: Lynz84

kborwick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone had the covid vaccination and had any side effects? I'm type 1, have been for 44years, I took a reaction to my flu vaccination this year, it made my blood sugar very high for few days, I'm normally quite well controlled. I work as a health care assistant and I'm getting 1st vaccination on Tuesday and I'm nervous about any side effects that will affect my diabetes. Has anyone had it yet

Hi Intoo have had type 1 for over 40 years. I’m a nurse and I had the vaccine a couple of weeks ago. It was absolutely fine with no side effects at all. My arm was sore to lie on in bed but otherwise I did not feel it.

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I got the vaccine on Tuesday, only side effects were swollen arm and sore head and maybe a bit more tired, it doesn't seem to have made blood sugars high like the flu one did. My hubby had it yesterday and all he's had is a slightly sore arm

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Pfizer vaccine doesn't work like that, it is a mRNA vaccine. Vaccination with small amounts of live vaccine is not used any more. If you are interested, this is a very good explanation of the types of vaccine.
https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/types-of-vaccine
Actually some vaccines are , but whether or not ..some of the side effects of either vaccine could make you feel ill with flu like symptoms inc headache , pyrexia , aches , drowsiness, and elevated bg ...to be aware i would say .

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
see my article today vic

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Healthy man dies after vaccination, due to auto immune disease
Following up on this discussion in an earlier topic:

One of the theories about how diabetes type 1 develops, is that your own immune system attacks your insulin producing cells. This could particularly happen after your immune system is triggered by a flu or by another disease.

I have no medical background, but I did some research on how RNA vaccins work. As far as I understand, a RNA vaccin makes some of your own cells look like the Corona virus, which triggers your immune system to destroy those cells. Afterwards your immune system should be able to tackle also real Corona virus parts, in case of an actual infection.

I don’t like the part that the Immune system is triggered by the RNA vaccin to destroy some of your own cells, after my immune system already decided to destroy my insulin cells. Could the vaccin not trigger the immune system of T1s to destroy more cells than we want?

btw I‘m not with those crazy anti vaxers, but I’m just a bit worried as this seems to be the first rna based vaccin and I wonder if the long term effects and effects on t1s (and possibly people with other immune diseases) are known well enough.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-t1d-what-are-your-views.178346/#post-2340140
——

Following up on this discussion, recent,y a healthy man died after his immune system started attacking cells of his own after the Pfizer jab. Causality is being questioned but to me it seems al a bit too coincidental..no mentioning of the guy having diabetes however. Only possibility is mentioned that he might have had a weaker form of the auto immune disease already before the jab.
Article is here:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/90917

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Healthy man dies after vaccination, due to auto immune disease
Following up on this discussion in an earlier topic:

One of the theories about how diabetes type 1 develops, is that your own immune system attacks your insulin producing cells. This could particularly happen after your immune system is triggered by a flu or by another disease.

I have no medical background, but I did some research on how RNA vaccins work. As far as I understand, a RNA vaccin makes some of your own cells look like the Corona virus, which triggers your immune system to destroy those cells. Afterwards your immune system should be able to tackle also real Corona virus parts, in case of an actual infection.

I don’t like the part that the Immune system is triggered by the RNA vaccin to destroy some of your own cells, after my immune system already decided to destroy my insulin cells. Could the vaccin not trigger the immune system of T1s to destroy more cells than we want?

btw I‘m not with those crazy anti vaxers, but I’m just a bit worried as this seems to be the first rna based vaccin and I wonder if the long term effects and effects on t1s (and possibly people with other immune diseases) are known well enough.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-t1d-what-are-your-views.178346/#post-2340140
——

Following up on this discussion, recent,y a healthy man died after his immune system started attacking cells of his own after the Pfizer jab. Causality is being questioned but to me it seems al a bit too coincidental..no mentioning of the guy having diabetes however. Only possibility is mentioned that he might have had a weaker form of the auto immune disease already before the jab.
Article is here:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/90917
You might like to read this mRNA vaccine explanation. No mention of cells being destroyed and although this mRNA vaccine is new, they have been studied for decades apparently.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

Reactions: oldgreymare

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ref my prior covid reaction fears ,
Today after yesterday was a bad day ref high blood sugars last night about 8 i changed cartridge and needle site after early needle site change by about ten in the evening blood sugars had zoomed down to normal indeed overnight range traded by FRRE STYLE LIBRE ava of 6 overnight so ai can only put it down to my tough skin sights today has been a lot less worried as does seem tone normal so my OF COVID VACCINE REACTION do not seem correct
so onward s and upwards to you'll all VIC 64 years on insulin

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had my first jab almost 3 weeks ago [Pfizer]. Next day had a little pain in the area of injection, similar to a Flu jab. My blood glucose readings increased significantly. I shall get the second jab on thursday and shall report back re the BG, if things remain the same, improve or worsen.

Now, well after the second Pfizer jab, and BG values are significantly higher than after the first jab.Even after a morning walk BG spikes of 2mmoles/l and more occur. In the past BG would fall or at least stay the same after moderate exercise.Maybe things will improve over the coming months ?, otherwise its off to see the endocrinologist and listen to what he has to offer.

Reactions: oldgreymare

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I’m supposed to have mine on Saturday this week. I might let you know once I have had it

Emmett7

Hello all - I'm T1 and had the vaccine yesterday. My BG have jumped big time today which could be a complete coincidence but....... My BG are usually pretty good (HBa1C - 50ish). Splitting head too - however it is a no brainer having the jab and I know my BG will settle.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mine last Saturday and apart from a loong sleep Saturday night, nothing to report. Some people have suggested taking paracetamol before and for a short while after the vaccination; I was coincidentally taking it for something else entirely. No idea whether it had any effect, but this vaccination had little impact for me - unlike my last two flu jabs.

Had mine done yesterday. It’s like being back in my old school corridor when someone punches you in the arm (went to an all boys school....)

bit fatigued to I guess but nothing major.

currently in the honeymoon period as a newly diagnosed and it has sent my blood sugars down so far if anything.