Anxiety or diabetes issues?

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

I am a little different in that I am type 2 with pill control since diagnosed 3years ago. I suffer severe anxiety which my condition, lockdown & post partum (lb 19mo) didn't/doesn't help.

This may sound silly but I wondered how you guys differentiate between anxiety & diabetes symptoms as I find some similar & I'm confused. Eg bouts of fatigue, Nocturia...

To give background about a month or so ago I have started being more thorough about my eating habits & food choices as I noticed I was showing signs of high/fluctuating sugar.

Around that time I was weaned off my anxiety meds from my postpartum so though I feel I have got better with sugars I still battling some symptoms of anxiety about my levels as I am paranoid it's my diabetes meds not working & in turn paranoid about going on insulin. Now am wondering if its anxiety only diabetes or both hence question?

TIA

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

I am a little different in that I am type 2 with pill control since diagnosed 3years ago. I suffer severe anxiety which my condition, lockdown & post partum (lb 19mo) didn't/doesn't help.

This may sound silly but I wondered how you guys differentiate between anxiety & diabetes symptoms as I find some similar & I'm confused. Eg bouts of fatigue, Nocturia...

To give background about a month or so ago I have started being more thorough about my eating habits & food choices as I noticed I was showing signs of high/fluctuating sugar.

Around that time I was weaned off my anxiety meds from my postpartum so though I feel I have got better with sugars I still battling some symptoms of anxiety about my levels as I am paranoid it's my diabetes meds not working & in turn paranoid about going on insulin. Now am wondering if its anxiety only diabetes or both hence question?

TIA

Hi,

Do you have access to a BG meter? Regular testing could at least indicate what you Diabetes is doing in all of this..

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From my experience, uncontrolled blood glucose levels, rapidly rising and dropping quickly will exacerbate the symptoms you describe.
I have been through the mill in the last seven months and I'm in counselling.

Even the stress of every day life will cause higher blood glucose levels.

Get help if it's just too much, keep talking, it does help. My GP has been so understanding and helpful.

Stay safe

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Do you have access to a BG meter? Regular testing could at least indicate what you Diabetes is doing in all of this..
Hi there.

I don't have a monitor but I think it might be my eating habits. To give you brief background about 6 weeks ago maybe more I noticed I was napping a lot more in daytime so I reviewed my eating habits & have been extra wary about what I eat which seems to have worked as I no longer daytime nap.

But the worry has triggered my anxiety which on closer review of symptoms it may now be anxiety as now I worry am I not eating enough as I have reduced to 3 meals a day with little snacking & drinking 2L of water when I can) as though I feel better I do get random spikes after eating, specifically fatigue that resolves after closing eyes for 2mins then I'm fine like I have had a shock style effect.

during night I get symptoms I recognise as anxiety eg insomnia, lack of appetite etc. It was symptoms of headache, fatigue, Nocturia, tingling & the symptoms I don't really get like excess thirst or peeing that prompted me to ask my question

I think or hope it's, partly cos I made alot if changes in my eating quickly. I believe I just need to get balance on what & when I eat & get my anxiety under control. Am I wrong?

(sorry for long answer)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there.

I don't have a monitor but I think it might be my eating habits. To give you brief background about 6 weeks ago maybe more I noticed I was napping a lot more in daytime so I reviewed my eating habits & have been extra wary about what I eat which seems to have worked as I no longer daytime nap.

But the worry has triggered my anxiety which on closer review of symptoms it may now be anxiety as now I worry am I not eating enough as I have reduced to 3 meals a day with little snacking & drinking 2L of water when I can) as though I feel better I do get random spikes after eating, specifically fatigue that resolves after closing eyes for 2mins then I'm fine like I have had a shock style effect.

during night I get symptoms I recognise as anxiety eg insomnia, lack of appetite etc. It was symptoms of headache, fatigue, Nocturia, tingling & the symptoms I don't really get like excess thirst or peeing that prompted me to ask my question

I think or hope it's, partly cos I made alot if changes in my eating quickly. I believe I just need to get balance on what & when I eat & get my anxiety under control. Am I wrong?

(sorry for long answer)

Without a BG meter it's not easy to tell what's happening regarding your diet change.

When is your next diabetes appointment?

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's due soon just not sure when as not sure if it's been delayed due to lockdown (I'm in Scotland). If issues continue I'll call to chase or req blood test if needed. Dare I say better day today so far on my better eating (porridge for breakfast & salad for lunch but I used to skip breakfast before I started noticing the early signs).

Like many ppl I have had alot of stresses over year cos of covid including childcare, work & day to day life which doesn't help so that may be factor.

Last edited:

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From my experience, uncontrolled blood glucose levels, rapidly rising and dropping quickly will exacerbate the symptoms you describe.
I have been through the mill in the last seven months and I'm in counselling.

Even the stress of every day life will cause higher blood glucose levels.

Get help if it's just too much, keep talking, it does help. My GP has been so understanding and helpful.

Stay safe
Aw sorry to hear that. Yeah I think what I'm suffering is majorly due to Covid impact as I've had alot of stresses like many ppl, cos of it

Hope you are better soon. Remember you're not alone. Stay safe x