Diabetes Resolved - What Does This Mean?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sounding like a broken record here on these forums lately, we truly are our own practitioners in this disease, I feel for you dealing with this.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-this-cast-to-the-wolves.179097/#post-2355060

The good news is you are proactive & already ahead of your doctor on this.
Believe your meter & keep on testing so you know what your body can tolerate.
Exercise & weight loss can greatly increase insulin sensitivity in many T2s.
If you've been taken off the diabetic register you may not get the yearly rentinopathy checkups so you might want to schedule a private check with specsavers & the like.

Reactions: Eurobuff

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sounding like a broken record here on these forums lately, we truly are our own practitioners in this disease, I feel for you dealing with this.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-this-cast-to-the-wolves.179097/#post-2355060

The good news is you are proactive & already ahead of your doctor on this.
Believe your meter & keep on testing so you know what your body can tolerate.
Exercise & weight loss can greatly increase insulin sensitivity in many T2s.
If you've been taken off the diabetic register you may not get the yearly rentinopathy checkups so you might want to schedule a private check with specsavers & the like.

I was 52 kgs on diagnosis and the same weight now. I am 5ft 2in tall. I want to challenge to doctor to change it to remission so at least I’ll get the checks. I am thinking about getting a libre to use for 2 weeks to see what that shows. I’m trying to navigate their website and i think it looks like you need a pc to get the best info from the results which is a problem. One part says as long as your phone is ios11 and up it works, but another says only compatible up to iOS 13 and iPhone 11. Mine is a 12 on iOS 14. I think I’m going to have to contact them. I was thinking it might put me in a better position if I had this info first before I spoke to the doctor.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so now I’m confused. As it’s a weekend I sleep later/longer. I ate at midnight (6.5 grams of carbs). Went to bed at 2 am. Woke at 11.20am and tested my blood, it was 4.1. Decided to wait for an hour to see what my sugar would be without eating. So while I was waiting (this might have been a mistake??) I decided to have a bath (which are always hot). At 12.20 (just getting out of the bath) my blood sugar was 5.1. Tested again at 12.45 in case it was a dodgy result (still feeling hot after the bath) but still no food and it was 5.3? Not sure if the bath has messed things up?

Tested again at 1.35pm -4.9.
Hot baths effect different people differently. So it might be that. Also having fasted for some time you might have had a glucose dump from your liver if your body thought you needed a boost having it eaten in a while. Sorry. testing these things individually a few times might clarify which it was.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d like to thank everyone for their help. I have contacted my GP surgery to challenge the doctors decision about “diabetes resolved”. So my next post might be “does anyone know how to find a new doctor when you’ve been struck off” I have also sent off for the freestyle Libre sensor , which I’ve been told will work on my iPhone 12. I’m hoping to get an idea of what’s going on. Yesterday I had 2 chicken breasts, 6 roast potatoes, a dozen walnuts and a diet 7up (20 grams of carbs). Pre meal was 4.9, 2 hours after 5.1, 2 1/2 hours after 5.9, 3 1/2 hours after 5.5. So all non diabetic readings. The day before 2 hours after a 20g carb meal it was 8.7, but had not done a pre meal reading. Although I was more active on the Saturday as I was doing my grocery shop and doing other errands, so would have assumed it wouldn’t have been high. Hopefully this sensor might highlight something

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d like to thank everyone for their help. I have contacted my GP surgery to challenge the doctors decision about “diabetes resolved”. So my next post might be “does anyone know how to find a new doctor when you’ve been struck off” I have also sent off for the freestyle Libre sensor , which I’ve been told will work on my iPhone 12. I’m hoping to get an idea of what’s going on. Yesterday I had 2 chicken breasts, 6 roast potatoes, a dozen walnuts and a diet 7up (20 grams of carbs). Pre meal was 4.9, 2 hours after 5.1, 2 1/2 hours after 5.9, 3 1/2 hours after 5.5. So all non diabetic readings. The day before 2 hours after a 20g carb meal it was 8.7, but had not done a pre meal reading. Although I was more active on the Saturday as I was doing my grocery shop and doing other errands, so would have assumed it wouldn’t have been high. Hopefully this sensor might highlight something
Exercise has unpredictable short term effects on various people (obviously long term fitness is a good thing for both body and bloods). And different intensity exercise can do opposite things short term (24hrs). So something to watch for with your libre.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dont your go do yearly health chevks which include blood tests, so if you go back ovef it will be caught?

I have been having yearly checks for everything (cholesterol, kidney function etc) and twice yearly HbA1C. My last review and blood tests was December. I’ve had the call last week from my GP, who has now put diabetes resolved on my notes. My next HBA1C would have been due this June , and my review this coming December, but I am assuming because he’s put resolved and not in remission that I won’t get called back for checks anymore. My last 3 HBA1C’s have been slightly higher than all my ones before that, but he’s still put resolved

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Eurobuff, I only mention this because you are experimenting with carb counting and the results, but are you saying your 6 roast potatoes & walnuts came to 20g carbs? Were they very small? 1 'medium' roast potato is 20 carbs all on its own? x

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Eurobuff, I only mention this because you are experimenting with carb counting and the results, but are you saying your 6 roast potatoes & walnuts came to 20g carbs? Were they very small? 1 'medium' roast potato is 20 carbs all on its own? x

That’s maybe misleading the way I put it. I get I small-ish potato, and then cut that into small potatoes and roast them.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update. My doctor said that diabetes resolved & remission mean the same thing, but that I would still get the screening either way. He said he will alter my diagnosis back to type 2 diabetes. He said he thought he was doing me a favour. He has put my test strips back on repeat BUT he said I still can only request them every “6 months or so”.

In the meantime I had sent for a Libre 2 sensor which I activated yesterday evening. I’ve done a couple of finger prick vs sensor test (15mins later) and they seem to match up. What’s worrying though is when I woke up and looked at this graph at what’s been happening through the night. The lowest reading was 2.9. When going to bed the app said my average blood sugar was 7.9, when I woke up the average was 5.3 after the lows. Im assuming this is why my hba1c is coming out as “normal”. I’ll see what happens overnight tonight. But is this “normal” to have lows like this? I have been waking up feeling groggy and sometimes have a headache, is this why? I always assumed it was because I mustn’t have slept well.

IMG_5324.jpg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you have a meal at 6pm?
Did you have any food before bed and at what time?

There have been many threads about low blood glucose levels during the night, because of how you sleep.

Keep safe

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update. My doctor said that diabetes resolved & remission mean the same thing, but that I would still get the screening either way. He said he will alter my diagnosis back to type 2 diabetes. He said he thought he was doing me a favour. He has put my test strips back on repeat BUT he said I still can only request them every “6 months or so”.

In the meantime I had sent for a Libre 2 sensor which I activated yesterday evening. I’ve done a couple of finger prick vs sensor test (15mins later) and they seem to match up. What’s worrying though is when I woke up and looked at this graph at what’s been happening through the night. The lowest reading was 2.9. When going to bed the app said my average blood sugar was 7.9, when I woke up the average was 5.3 after the lows. Im assuming this is why my hba1c is coming out as “normal”. I’ll see what happens overnight tonight. But is this “normal” to have lows like this? I have been waking up feeling groggy and sometimes have a headache, is this why? I always assumed it was because I mustn’t have slept well.

View attachment 47002
Quite a few Libre users have reported "compression lows" this happens when you lie on the sensor when asleep.
Looks like you might get them too.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a few Libre users have reported "compression lows" this happens when you lie on the sensor when asleep.
Looks like you might get them too.

I woke up at 3.51 (I’m always waking up a few times in the middle of the night) and did an actual scan that came out at 2.9? When I woke up I was laid on my opposite side (but don’t know if I’d just turned over or had been laid a while like that

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have a meal at 6pm?
Did you have any food before bed and at what time?

There have been many threads about low blood glucose levels during the night, because of how you sleep.

Keep safe

I had my evening meal between 6 & 7pm 23g of carbs, with one gin (honest). I had lacto free milk (half carbs of normal milk) before bed (11.30pm) 5.4grams of carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up at 3.51 (I’m always waking up a few times in the middle of the night) and did an actual scan that came out at 2.9? When I woke up I was laid on my opposite side (but don’t know if I’d just turned over or had been laid a while like that
Might be worth doing a finger prick test just to verify the Libre reading..or prove it wrong of course..

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be worth doing a finger prick test just to verify the Libre reading..or prove it wrong of course..

I agree, I always do and 99% of the time when the libre reads 2 point something, it's always around 4 on the prick test which I know is 15 minutes ahead of the libre, so I double check with the libre again 15 minutes later to see if it matched the blood test 15 minutes before!!!!

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Although by the time I get that result on the sensor that is time lagged by 15 mins-ish, so would have to do it before I knew it was low?

I did a test today. 6.1 finger prick, 15 mins later on sensor 6.0, 20 mins later 6.1.

I also scanned the sensor at the exact time of the finger prick and it was 7.3

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, I always do and 99% of the time when the libre reads 2 point something, it's always around 4 on the prick test which I know is 15 minutes ahead of the libre, so I double check with the libre again 15 minutes later to see if it matched the blood test 15 minutes before!!!!

And does it? And If it does is the 2. Something right? Or is it because you were laying on it?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had my evening meal between 6 & 7pm 23g of carbs, with one gin (honest). I had lacto free milk (half carbs of normal milk) before bed (11.30pm) 5.4grams of carbs.

You spiked at around the hour mark. From normal levels.
It was just over ten mmols.
It seems quite high for 23g carbs.
Have they tested you for insulin resistance?
I would definitely recommend you use your libre as a test for a few days. Enjoy the carbs and see what happens. Don't forget to write down everything.

Stay safe

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You spiked at around the hour mark. From normal levels.
It was just over ten mmols.
It seems quite high for 23g carbs.
Have they tested you for insulin resistance?
I would definitely recommend you use your libre as a test for a few days. Enjoy the carbs and see what happens. Don't forget to write down everything.

Stay safe

The only test I’ve had is the hba1c. That originally was 63mmol,. I was eating 150g a day of carbs then. I dropped my carbs to 50 per day and was getting HBA1C’s in mid 30’s. Now I’m eating 55-60g per day as a few of the foods I was eating are no longer available, and my hba1c is 40. I did have one of 42. I originally was diagnosed as diabetes type 2. But a week ago my doctor had put “diabetes resolved “ on my notes saying that 40 is in the non diabetic range. I didn’t agree, so I thought I’d try the sensor to see what it showed. I’m also concerned about the lows too