How long for BG to drop down

Farmerval

Hi all, I was diagnosed type 2 last June, not on any medication, diet only, have lost 3 stone since then, over Christmas I started using a Freestyle Libre, jut to see what worked and what didn't.

The thing is, over Christmas when I was not being good, I had high spikes and then GB dropped low, e.g. after a large dinner with wine I might spike to 12 - 13 after two hours and drop to 5 over the following hours. Daily average was in the low 6's

Now I'm gone low carb, spikes now are up to 9, but my BG rarely drops below 7. Daily average is around 7.4 or 7.5 for most days, even been up to over 8 on average. Is this normal??

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be normal for you. Your highest readings still seem to be a bit higher than are usually advisable - what are you eating, and when?

Farmerval

It might be normal for you. Your highest readings still seem to be a bit higher than are usually advisable - what are you eating, and when?

Hi Kenny,

I am generally open to trying anything to see will it work, Generally I eat something like;
Breakast is an omellette with some fried bacon, alternatively full fat greek yoghurt with seeds and nuts
Lunch a salad with salmon, home made dressing; alternatively a veggie curry
Dinner will be some fatty meat, beef, lamb, chicken and low carb veg.

I have several coffees a day 8-9 with either low fat milk or double cream.

I fasted for 36 hours from Monday night until Wednesday lunchtime, expecting a reduction but nothing happened, went from waking BG of 9.2 to a low of 6.9 in early evening to 9.7 at 10.30 p.m.

If it's only a case of a couple months low carb to let accumulated fat around the liver etc dissipate, I'm fine with that. Knowing is this normal would be good.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

My suggestion is to actually count the carbs in everything you eat or drink. Some things have a lot more carbs than you would think. For me it was cucumbers and tomatoes which I was just eating but have now given up. I keep to less than 20 grams of carbs a day- usually less than 10 grams. That has got my blood sugar levels well within the normal range.

Good luck.

Farmerval

Thanks VashtiB.

Will definitely try that. Milk in coffee is my main worry, the amount of carbs creep up quickly. I will try and will report back.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks VashtiB.

Will definitely try that. Milk in coffee is my main worry, the amount of carbs creep up quickly. I will try and will report back.
Thats why many of us stick to double cream fewer carbs anyway and you need less of it.. win win.
I have it in my tea now as well.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kenny,

I am generally open to trying anything to see will it work, Generally I eat something like;
Breakast is an omellette with some fried bacon, alternatively full fat greek yoghurt with seeds and nuts
Lunch a salad with salmon, home made dressing; alternatively a veggie curry
Dinner will be some fatty meat, beef, lamb, chicken and low carb veg.

I have several coffees a day 8-9 with either low fat milk or double cream.

I fasted for 36 hours from Monday night until Wednesday lunchtime, expecting a reduction but nothing happened, went from waking BG of 9.2 to a low of 6.9 in early evening to 9.7 at 10.30 p.m.

If it's only a case of a couple months low carb to let accumulated fat around the liver etc dissipate, I'm fine with that. Knowing is this normal would be good.

I stick with the cream and ditch the low-fat milk! My experience is that while the BG goes up and down within a range depending on food, exercise etc, it also came down in "steps" - I used to see 7 as my maximum, then 6, now it's around 5.5 after meals with most readings in the mid to high 4s. Not had a six or seven for some time. I've found that some veg spikes me a bit - and so do some legumes. Test and try.

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Caffeine can affect blood sugar, so that's one thing to consider if you're drinking 8-9 coffees a day. The Somogyi effect is another thing to look at if your BG is spiking when fasting. Most importantly, talk to your doctor, it might be that your medication needs adjusting.