Yoghurt and fruit

Vmlat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am having a lot of yoghurt and fruit to satisfy the sweet urge.

Newly diagnosed so after advice.

What are the best yoghurts to go for, should I limit it?

Thanks

KayLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heyy,

I love yogurts but having a slight intolerance i swapped out the yogurts and when i have a sweet urge i like to eat the low calorie/low sugar pots of fruit jelly!

So i cant really give advice on yogurts.
There will be lots of people that can :)

Reactions: Vmlat

Vmlat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heyy,

I love yogurts but having a slight intolerance i swapped out the yogurts and when i have a sweet urge i like to eat the low calorie/low sugar pots of fruit jelly!

So i cant really give advice on yogurts.
There will be lots of people that can :)
Thank you! Good idea on the sugar free jelly

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
full fat unsweetened Greek or Greek style. The low fat ones are riddled with sugar.
Just add a few berries or nuts or even chopped dark chocolate

Reactions: Vmlat and lmsk

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely the best option is to choose plain full fat, preferably Greek, yoghurt. You can then, as already suggested, add berries or other very low carb fruit, chopped nuts. etc.

Keep well away from the reduced/lite/low fat type offerings as they are generally far higher in carbs. And if you want something slightly sweet then erythritol and / or stevia are acceptable sugar alternatives for diabetics - neither should raise your glucose levels.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not usually labelled full fat yoghurt but "natural" as with everything check the label. Natural Greek Style yogurt has something like 10g of fat and 5g of carbs per 100g. The greek style refers to the fact that it has been strained. Real Greek yogurt is the same but has to come from Greece.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Vmlat

Your profile hasn't been updated with information on the type of diabetes you have, and the medications you use (if any).

that is important information when discussing carb intake and food choices, because depending on medication, some people can eat far more carbs than others. A type 2 on no meds might find yog and fruit, with added sugar would create a high spike in blood glucose, whereas a type 1 diabetic, or someone on insulin might be able to compensate for the sugars and carbs with insulin, if they are able to tweak their doses appropriately.

Reactions: Vmlat and Dr Snoddy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure you read the labels carefully to check the Carb content. Avoid any with added sugar or 'fruit juice' added. I do have fruit yogurts but check the carb content to make sure it's just the added fruit. Also watch out for Starch thickeners. Obviously plain yogurts are usually very good. Ignore Calorie labelling and low-fat products

Vmlat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Vmlat

Your profile hasn't been updated with information on the type of diabetes you have, and the medications you use (if any).

that is important information when discussing carb intake and food choices, because depending on medication, some people can eat far more carbs than others. A type 2 on no meds might find yog and fruit, with added sugar would create a high spike in blood glucose, whereas a type 1 diabetic, or someone on insulin might be able to compensate for the sugars and carbs with insulin, if they are able to tweak their doses appropriately.
Thanks for the input.

Still waiting on confirmation of which type, but on metformin twice a day and gliclazide twice a dya currently.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the input.

Still waiting on confirmation of which type, but on metformin twice a day and gliclazide twice a dya currently.

Thanks :) that is useful information, and suggests that they are (for now) treating you as a type 2. You can enter those details onto your forum profile, and then you won't get people like me asking you for the info all the time :) :) :)

With gliclazide you are probably able to tolerate more carbs than someone on no meds, and you should have been given some testing equipment (a glucometer and test strips) so that you can monitor your blood glucose levels.

Little Fat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
running, balls
For yogurt avoid all low fat stuff, natural greek yogurt will do the trick (not greek style as those contains thickening agent) if you have lactose problem there are greek yogurt without lactose or you may consider coconut yogurt. The fat content is consider as good fat so no need for picking low fat.

For fruit need to be limited to low sugar one like berries, guava green banana and avocado. Sweet fruit contains loads for fructose which can only metabolised in liver causing NAFL (non alcoholic fatty liver) which may be a trigger to fatty pancreas and worsen your diabetes.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The one I have is SKYR natural yoghurt which is 3.7 carbs per 100g and 0 fat. I have it with some raspberries and blueberries on top and a little double cream drizzled over the top (yum)

Reactions: Vmlat and jjraak