Should I be worried?

KimberleyM04

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was feeling quite unwell the other day, I went really thirsty and had to urinate a lot, my mum is a type one diabetic so she had a blood sugar meter and she checked my blood sugars around two hours after dinner, they were at 14.7, the next morning I checked them as soon as I woke up and they were at 7.1 (no eating or drinking anything) and then this morning two hours after breakfast they were at 8.1. I’m not sure whether this is a one time thing or if I should get checked, my mums type runs in her genes and I’m also overweight. Any help would be appreciated :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was feeling quite unwell the other day, I went really thirsty and had to urinate a lot, my mum is a type one diabetic so she had a blood sugar meter and she checked my blood sugars around two hours after dinner, they were at 14.7, the next morning I checked them as soon as I woke up and they were at 7.1 (no eating or drinking anything) and then this morning two hours after breakfast they were at 8.1. I’m not sure whether this is a one time thing or if I should get checked, my mums type runs in her genes and I’m also overweight. Any help would be appreciated :)
I'd definitely take this up with you doctor. Let's hope it's a one off due to being unwell, but better safe than sorry!

Reactions: KimberleyM04

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
my mums type runs in her genes and I’m also overweight. Any help would be appreciated :)

T1 diabetes is influenced by genes, but the child of a T1 diabetes still only has a 1 in 30 chance of having it (or thereabouts), so it's not strongly genetic. (T2 diabetes is very strongly genetic but it's a completely different illness albeit with the same symptoms). One blood test certainly isn't enough to diagnose, but it's worth getting checked out. Also, if your mum has some ketone testing strips you could test with those. High ketones plus high sugar levels require immediate medical attention.

Good luck. As @Antje77 said, it's worth getting it checked out but it may well be a one off. But if you also have high ketones, ring 111 for advice.

(As a T1 daughter of a T1 mother I got paranoid whenever my children got thirsty. I used to test their urine with urine testing strips, as sugar passes into the urine once your bg goes over 10. I figures that I could then do a blood test if it came up positive, without subjecting them to endless blood tests. Luckily they never passed sugar, so their fingers stayed safe from my lancets :)).

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would give your GP a call and get tested - it's the only way you will know for sure - good luck

Dark Horse

T1 diabetes is influenced by genes, but the child of a T1 diabetes still only has a 1 in 30 chance of having it (or thereabouts), so it's not strongly genetic. (T2 diabetes is very strongly genetic but it's a completely different illness albeit with the same symptoms).
I would add that sometimes people with MODY (which is due to inheritance of a single gene) are labelled as type 1 so it is possible that's what the OP's mother has rather than true type 1.
https://beyondtype1.org/what-is-mon...genic diabetes is a rare,actually be up to 5%.