Covid vaccine

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Not sure if anyone has posted this so sorry if it has.
Has anyone had the vaccine? I’m not into all the conspiracy theories, I personally am worried because the vaccine hasn’t been out very long, with me been diabetic has it really been tested enough that they really know I won’t have a reaction or it won’t raise my big dangerously.
I’m lucky enough to be offered it and want to take it, just worried that if I ask doctor they will obviously tell me it’s for the best to take it. Sounds bad but I would feel better knowing ppl on here have had it and are fine or know of other diabetics that have had no issues, I know we are all different, and I know getting covid would be much worse, it’s just playing on my mind.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three family members have been vaccinated so far (one with T2)
One with the Pfizer, two with the Oxford AstraZeneca.
A 4th family member (with pre-D) should be in the next wave.
Thank goodness.
It is a huge relief to me that they are all going to get increased levels of protection.

so far, amongst the vaccinated 3 there have been 2 sore arms and 2 ppl feeling a little more tired than usual for a few days.

Small price to pay, I think. And what is more, the sore arm reaction is supposed to be a good sign that the body is kicking its immune system into gear and producing the antibodies and T cells that will protect from the virus. So as far as I am concerned, sore arms and fevers after the jab are to be seen as positive signs that the vaccine is doing exactly what it should be doing.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine today, no side effects so far. Over 11 million people have had the vaccine in this country alone, with no reported serious problems. A good proportion will have been type 2 diabetic particularly as it is more common in the older age groups.

Reactions: Dudette1

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Three family members have been vaccinated so far (one with T2)
One with the Pfizer, two with the Oxford AstraZeneca.
A 4th family member (with pre-D) should be in the next wave.
Thank goodness.
It is a huge relief to me that they are all going to get increased levels of protection.

so far, amongst the vaccinated 3 there have been 2 sore arms and 2 ppl feeling a little more tired than usual for a few days.

Small price to pay, I think. And what is more, the sore arm reaction is supposed to be a good sign that the body is kicking its immune system into gear and producing the antibodies and T cells that will protect from the virus. So as far as I am concerned, sore arms and fevers after the jab are to be seen as positive signs that the vaccine is doing exactly what it should be doing.
That's good to know that a sore arm is a positive sign that the vaccine is working. My arm was very sore.

I was so happy to have the vaccine and that my husband is having his tomorrow.

Reactions: Dudette1 and EllieM

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
with no reported serious problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55946912

Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 22.58.43.png

Had they died of COVID of course they would have been recorded as COVID deaths though..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please do not derail this thread with anti-vaccine derailment, or covid death toll commentary.

@Dudette1 asked a simple question in her post: has anyone had the vaccine, and what their personal experience has been?

If you haven’t had the vaccine, and have no intention of having it, then your post is off topic and deliberately derailing - and will be moderated as such.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm type 1 and had the Oxford/AZ vaccine a few weeks ago. My arm was a bit sore and my blood glucose rose but I just had to adjust my insulin. Was back to normal ratios within a few days.

As others have said, I took it as a positive sign that it had triggered an immune response because my blood glucose levels usually go up if I'm ill. There are a few other threads about people's experiences with the vaccine which should come up via the search function if you're interested.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter-in- law had the Oxford jab yesterday and is now in bed with symptoms similar to flu. She is reassured by this as it means the vaccine is working.
Edit: she had a sore arm yesterday.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

My daughter-in- law had the Oxford jab yesterday and is now in bed with symptoms similar to flu. She is reassured by this as it means the vaccine is working.
Although bear in mind that she could have caught flu or Covid or an ILI (influenza-like illness) in the days preceding the vaccine and the symptoms could be due to an actual infection. Hopefully, that is not the case.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although bear in mind that she could have caught flu or Covid or an ILI (influenza-like illness) in the days preceding the vaccine and the symptoms could be due to an actual infection. Hopefully, that is not the case.
Yes, that's true, but as an extremely vulnerable person who has been shielding and had the flu jab back in October, I doubt this is the case.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the vaccine is also working without any side effects as I haven't had even a sore arm since my jab yesterday.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
My wife had the Pfizer vaccine Friday.
Apart from a very sore arm Friday night through to this morning (now getting better) she has been absolutely fine.

Her elderly parents both had the Oxford vaccine last week - her dad is a Type 2 diabetic - and both have shown no adverse after effects whatsoever...so a huge relief

I hope that helps.

All the best!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My parents both over 80 had their Pfizer vaccines (1st shot) 3 weeks ago and neither of them had any issues with it except for sore arms for a day or so.
I am waiting for my turn when they get down to group 6.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She feels 100% well today, she felt wiped out and needed to be in bed for one day only. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had Oxford Astra Zeneca jab last week. No ill effects whatsover. Just a sense of relief that this could be the start of my road to freedom to be able to do something as mundane as go into a shop to choose my own groceries after almost a year at home. Oh and a slight tenderness at the injection site for less than 24 hours.

Was treated with care and compassion at the vaccine centre, by staff and volunteers who were very thorough in checking my health records and selecting the most appropriate vaccine for my needs.

Reactions: Hopeful34