Type 2 Newly diagnosed

A12345

Hi Fellas,

Based in Sydney, I have recently been diagnosed for type 2 and it has shattered my world completely. Everything that I am doing now revolves around my blood sugar :(

My doctor has put me on Metformin 1000+Gliclazide. Since I have started the dosage, the fasting sugar is between 4.3 - 5.2 mmol. I once missed to take the dose and the fasting one was 5.4 mmol. My initial Hb1Ac was 8.2.

My question is that I am dying to get some alcoholic. What do you think would be a good choice; A low carb beer like Pure Blonde or Scotch and soda? And how much can I drink..Please any helpful comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Have a lovely day and stay safe!
A

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @A12345 and welcome

I don’t drink alcohol so can’t comment, but am tagging a couple of friendly Australians who may have information, including any country-specific brands.

@VashtiB @Mike d

Reactions: A12345

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Thanks @Goonergal for the tag.

I'm another alcohol drinking Aussie. I live in rural/regional NSW so not too far from you. I'm not a beer drinker so not really able to recommend any- I'll have a bit of a google and let you. know if I find any. My husband has found Burleigh Bighead no carb beer which I've never heard of but you could try it out.

Other options do include clear liquor with diet mixers- eg Diet Coke with Bundy or vodka. I have also found sugar free breeders but they may be a bit girly for you. There is Smirnoff Black ice the sugar free version.

You can also try dry red wine- I now drink dry Shiraz (actually made by a friend of mine who runs a vineyard).

Let me know a bit about your preferences and I will see what ideas I can find.

You need to work out how many carbs you can tolerate- I'm on less than 20 grams a day which limits my choices. You also need to make sure that any alcohol consumption won't lead to increased carb consumption in food.

My diagnosis devastated me but my life is now fine. I found it a bit difficult going very low carb but my b blood sugars are under control and well within the normal range. I've lost weight and am [probably healthier than before. But the best thing is this site- stick around it is an amazing place full of really great people willing to offer support and advice.

good luck- let me know what of my suggestions might work and I'll try to find some others.

A12345

Hello and welcome,

Thanks @Goonergal for the tag.

I'm another alcohol drinking Aussie. I live in rural/regional NSW so not too far from you. I'm not a beer drinker so not really able to recommend any- I'll have a bit of a google and let you. know if I find any. My husband has found Burleigh Bighead no carb beer which I've never heard of but you could try it out.

Other options do include clear liquor with diet mixers- eg Diet Coke with Bundy or vodka. I have also found sugar free breeders but they may be a bit girly for you. There is Smirnoff Black ice the sugar free version.

You can also try dry red wine- I now drink dry Shiraz (actually made by a friend of mine who runs a vineyard).

Let me know a bit about your preferences and I will see what ideas I can find.

You need to work out how many carbs you can tolerate- I'm on less than 20 grams a day which limits my choices. You also need to make sure that any alcohol consumption won't lead to increased carb consumption in food.

My diagnosis devastated me but my life is now fine. I found it a bit difficult going very low carb but my b blood sugars are under control and well within the normal range. I've lost weight and am [probably healthier than before. But the best thing is this site- stick around it is an amazing place full of really great people willing to offer support and advice.

good luck- let me know what of my suggestions might work and I'll try to find some others.
Thanks a lot Vashtib, I am definitely gonna follow the suggestions. Have an amazing day!

Cheers
Ash