Fish and Chips for Type 2

Bigcam665

Very recently Type 2 diabetes, and I was wondering how to order at fish and chips to make it more diabetes friendly, scrape a bit off batter off?, pie instead of fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had cod in batter with no chips and attempted to leave most of the batter which is very difficult. The fish man told me he could do the fish without batter but I have yet to try it.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Very recently Type 2 diabetes, and I was wondering how to order at fish and chips to make it more diabetes friendly, scrape a bit off batter off?, pie instead of fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated

What I do - order a large cod, remove all the batter, chuck it away - sacrilege I know - and not order chips...as my BG would beat SpaceX into orbit. Some chippies near us, also grill and poach the fish to order too.

On the pies, I'd suggest the crust is likely to be knee deep in carbs. Maybe a non battered sausage might work as a treat?

Here on the forum, there's fantastic ideas on replacements for chips which are lower carb and tasty using celeriac.

There's also a school of thought on here which suggests a little of what you fancy from time to time would sate the pangs - as managing diabetes is a marathon not a sprint...

I believe @Goonergal @MrsA2 @KK123 may have some far more lateral thoughts too.

All the best!

Reactions: Trio1 and EllieM

Bigcam665

What I do - order a large cod, remove all the batter, chuck it away - sacrilege I know - and not order chips...as my BG would beat SpaceX into orbit. Some chippies near us, also grill and poach the fish to order too.

On the pies, I'd suggest the crust is likely to be knee deep in carbs. Maybe a non battered sausage might work as a treat?

Here on the forum, there's fantastic ideas on replacements for chips which are lower carb and tasty using celeriac.

There's also a school of thought on here which suggests a little of what you fancy from time to time would sate the pangs - as managing diabetes is a marathon not a sprint...

I believe @Goonergal @MrsA2 @KK123 may have some far more lateral thoughts too.

All the best!
I need to ask, I as newly diagnosed, I’m really struggling where to draw the line between health and treating myself, I sometimes have some batter, or have some chips and feel generally ok, but some people swear it off like the plague, I really don’t know where the line to draw is

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
I need to ask, I as newly diagnosed, I’m really struggling where to draw the line between health and treating myself, I sometimes have some batter, or have some chips and feel generally ok, but some people swear it off like the plague, I really don’t know where the line to draw is

I'm only 2 months into the diabetes journey too...so not far behind you!

I guess it's down to individual choice but the crucial part as I've found out, if you haven't already got one, is a blood glucose meter so you can monitor your levels before eating and 2 hours after finishing the meal. That way you can be the judge of the effect it's had on you...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a meter? Most of us test before and after a suspect meal and find out for sure how bad it is. Then make a decision if it’s something we want to repeat or not.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It’s not easy, especially when first diagnosed, but I think we set our own rules. The reality is as adults, we can have whatever we want. The important thing is to make an informed decision and to be clear about what the implications may be, short, medium or long-term.

Where to draw the line is entirely your call.

Personally I wouldn’t order at all and haven’t had battered fish or chips since diagnosis just over 4 years ago. That’s not to say I’m perfect - there are plenty of low carb things I ‘treat’ myself with (dark chocolate, cream, nuts, nut butter), but I usually end up regretting it as they put me back in a place I’d rather not be: moderation is not possible for me, so going without is easier.

There are definitely members here who can eat a few chips or whatever and move on. It really is for you to decide.

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Use meter to test but chips and pie and battered fish will likely spike you, also the problem I find with such high carbs from the fish shop is that the blood levels remaining high for a lot longer than you would expect.

When I do have fish and chips, and in all honesty I still do, I will have higher bloods the morning after.

Personally i take the impact. I am significantly lower carbs but I also seem slightly more able to tolerate higher carbs than many can but whether that'll last is a good Question

As for diabetic friendly from the chip shop, scraping the fish maybe or seeing if they can cook without batter. Non battered sausage as has been suggested. But realistically, outside of cooking fish yourself, it's going to be tough

I appreciate the above sounds like I am excusing myself and part of that is I think. I know I am far from perfect but the occasional treat keeps me going

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

It seems that some people can genuinely tolerate more carbs than others. There are folk on here taking les than 20g of carbs a day, others can get by on 100g or more. The meter will tell you what your individual limits are.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that some people can genuinely tolerate more carbs than others. There are folk on here taking les than 20g of carbs a day, others can get by on 100g or more. The meter will tell you what your individual limits are.

I'm one of the luckier ones who seem to get away with larger amounts of carbs.
Potatoes, chips etc. don't seem to move my meter.
I've tested after a few McDonalds (Big Mac & Fries) & been in the low 5s or even 4s at 2 hours.
The fat component seems to dull my spikes completely.

My kryptonite appears to be pizza, where I can see high 6s @ 2hours & take 3 to 4 hours to come back to fasting levels.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Personally,

I go an 80:20 approach.

This means occasionally, I treat my self with Pizza (usually for me). It does give me a spike but by the morning I am fine. If your good most the time a little spike wont do any harm. It also help keep sane, I think I would have lost the plot. If I could have the odd sweet or Junk food.

Balance does work, It is not a spirt it is marathon. One meal wont hurt as long as it is one.

Also a good hack, if you want fish and chips is miss lunch or breakfast that day. Then you will deplete your BG levels any way. So the spike wont be as bad.

Reactions: BRSBRI

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even as a type 1 I just don't eat fish & chips, FAR too tricky to get the insulin right, the perfect combination of carbs & fat that makes dealing with it last for up to 24 hours (seriously). Same with pizzas and any meal that is high in both fat AND carbs equally. Type 1 or 2 there is always a price to pay I guess.

Reactions: zand

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I very occasionally (a couple of times a year) have chippie fish & chips (usually if we have a day out at the seaside) but not a huge fish supper like I had before the big D - maybe just a smallish piece of fish which I scrape maybe half the batter off and a handful of chips. The only way is for you to test and then decide what you want to do - for me personally I am happy enough with a couple of times a year rather than not at all - and probably the days before and after I would be really really good. I have been known to "steal" (it was the smell me Lord) an end of someone in the houses fish if they have take-away here but for me a little is better than not at all. Once you start testing you will see what you can/can not get away with and weigh up yourself if you think it is really worth it or not. Again I am ok with a slice or two of pizza but no more.

Bigcam665

I very occasionally (a couple of times a year) have chippie fish & chips (usually if we have a day out at the seaside) but not a huge fish supper like I had before the big D - maybe just a smallish piece of fish which I scrape maybe half the batter off and a handful of chips. The only way is for you to test and then decide what you want to do - for me personally I am happy enough with a couple of times a year rather than not at all - and probably the days before and after I would be really really good. I have been known to "steal" (it was the smell me Lord) an end of someone in the houses fish if they have take-away here but for me a little is better than not at all. Once you start testing you will see what you can/can not get away with and weigh up yourself if you think it is really worth it or not. Again I am ok with a slice or two of pizza but no more.
Thank you Mrs T, and thank you all guys so much, really struggling to come to grips and understand the science behind controlling blood sugar

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and KK123

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

As a lawyer I have heard it said if you have three lawyers in the room you will have 4 different opinions.lol

The answer to your question is very individualistic. It comes down to a number of factors. One of them is how many carbs can your body tolerate. This may vary depending on your exercise and your stress at the time. Another factor is your personality type- I'm an all or nothing sort of person so find moderation difficult. I do have treats but they tend to be diet jelly and cream or peanut butter and cream- the nature of these means I can have a second helping without too much worry. Another factor may be the occasion- if it's your birthday it may be okay to have something as long as you can say it's only once a year. I think it is very easy to carb creep. Another factor may be your age. I'm mid 50s so not old but not young. If I was in my 30s I may want to be even more strict as I will have it for longer. I may not be nearly so strict in my 90s if I live that long. another is your comfort level with your levels. My HbA1c went to 5.2% then 5.3% I'm trying to get it back down. This may be lower than needed but I have a competitive streak even if it's only with myself.

I'm sure there are other factors. I think it can be useful people giving their perspectives but that is all they are there is no one right answer.

Good luck.

Reactions: BRSBRI and zand

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Fish without the batter, grilled is good I find. Depends on the fish being eaten too.