Low carb but started putting on weight

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Looking for a little bit of advice if possible.

I have been low carbing since diagnosis last January. Lost near 3 stone but plateaued since September. I upped my daily walks and started doing HIITS when I can in my lunch hours. But have put on 10 Lbs over the past 2 months and not doing anything different with what I am eating.
I’ve not eaten bread potatoes rice pasta for over a year.
I have been using full fat not low fat and have been looking at maybe reducing my calories but confused with how a lot of low calorie foods are higher in carbs.

Is there anyone who is calorie counting and low carbing and losing weight who can share some well needed advice ?
Thank you

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi all

Looking for a little bit of advice if possible.

I have been low carbing since diagnosis last January. Lost near 3 stone but plateaued since September. I upped my daily walks and started doing HIITS when I can in my lunch hours. But have put on 10 Lbs over the past 2 months and not doing anything different with what I am eating.
I’ve not eaten bread potatoes rice pasta for over a year.
I have been using full fat not low fat and have been looking at maybe reducing my calories but confused with how a lot of low calorie foods are higher in carbs.

Is there anyone who is calorie counting and low carbing and losing weight who can share some well needed advice ?
Thank you

Their can be serval factors involved here.

As you loss weight, you body need less calories to do it what you use to do.

Say you weight 100 kg, your body has to move 100 kg around. But if lost say 20 kg, you weigh 20 percent less. There fore your body doesn't need the same amount of calories to move as you 20kg lighter. Also you body will have built muscle to move at 100kg. So at 80 kg your muscle will not need the same amount of energy as well.

This is why most diets even out and weight re gain happen.

Resistant training works wonders with this as you'll build muscle but your body will need the extra cals to repair and grow the muscles.
Also this will help wonders with blood glucose and insulin resistance.

Also your body is clever as it has an ideal weight it want to be and does what it can to remain there. So this is the pitfall of any eating plan style even low carb.

I find for me personally a 2 day fast once a month. Also helps almost like a reset.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps some of the weight gain is in fact muscle and not fat?

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Their can be serval factors involved here.

As you loss weight, you body need less calories to do it what you use to do.

Say you weight 100 kg, your body has to move 100 kg around. But if lost say 20 kg, you weigh 20 percent less. There fore your body doesn't need the same amount of calories to move as you 20kg lighter. Also you body will have built muscle to move at 100kg. So at 80 kg your muscle will not need the same amount of energy as well.

This is why most diets even out and weight re gain happen.

Resistant training works wonders with this as you'll build muscle but your body will need the extra cals to repair and grow the muscles.
Also this will help wonders with blood glucose and insulin resistance.

Also your body is clever as it has an ideal weight it want to be and does what it can to remain there. So this is the pitfall of any eating plan style even low carb.

I find for me personally a 2 day fast once a month. Also helps almost like a reset.

Hi Andy

Thank you for replying and explaining it in terms that I understand. So much online confuses me with so many different opinions.

I have actually ordered some resistance bands and have bought a kettlebell so will concentrate on them for the next few weeks and see how that goes whilst lowering my calorie intake.

On your 2 day fast do you literally just drink water ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Zand, oh I wish but I certainly can’t see any defined muscle yet

Waist measurements and looser fitting clothes are usually good signs of loss in size without loss of weight.

But you say you have been limiting calories?
Maybe you have slowed your metabolism too much which is what most calorie restricted diets do.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi Andy

Thank you for replying and explaining it in terms that I understand. So much online confuses me with so many different opinions.

I have actually ordered some resistance bands and have bought a kettlebell so will concentrate on them for the next few weeks and see how that goes whilst lowering my calorie intake.

On your 2 day fast do you literally just drink water ?

your right there. It is a mind field out there.

Also trying to find stuff that relates to being type 2 isn't always the easiest.

On my two day fast,

I drink Water, and black coffee.

You can drink black tea.

But I am not a fan of black tea.

Also on the those fast days, If i train it is light weights and walking is the only exercise I do.

I also have a protein Bar on standby just incase, my BG drops to much, Not likely but I have heard this happening to people.

For good resistance band work outs look up Tom Brady's T12 method. There is some good videos on you tube, for those.

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waist measurements and looser fitting clothes are usually good signs of loss in size without loss of weight.

Maybe you have slowed your metabolism too much which is what most calorie restricted diets do.

hi , my measurements haven’t changed really with the recent weight increase it’s just I find it hard to reduce the calories when following the LCHF . Will have to change it up now , thanks for replying ☺️

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your right there. It is a mind field out there.

Also trying to find stuff that relates to being type 2 isn't always the easiest.

On my two day fast,

I drink Water, and black coffee.

You can drink black tea.

But I am not a fan of black tea.

Also on the those fast days, If i train it is light weights and walking is the only exercise I do.

I also have a protein Bar on standby just incase, my BG drops to much, Not likely but I have heard this happening to people.

For good resistance band work outs look up Tom Brady's T12 method. There is some good videos on you tube, for those.

thank you, 2 days of just water a s black coffee etc sounds LONG haha, what does it do for you in terms of your BG ?
I shall have a look at the Tom Brady method, thanks for the tip

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it’s just I find it hard to reduce the calories when following the LCHF
But LCHF isn't really about calorie restriction but carb restriction.
If you have been restricting calories in the past that may be the root cause of your gain.

Reactions: rebowe1308

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would advise ignoring Calories as they have little scientific basis with regard to the food you eat and are merely a measure of energy and not a food group. To minimise weight gain you are right to control the carbs. A good target to start with is 150gm/day or less if you can; find what works for you. Have enough fats, proteins, veg and non-tropical fruit. Unfortunately the obsession by the NHS, dieticians etc with Calories has resulted in the (bad) Low-Fat advice as fats have twice the calories than carbs hence the calorie-based advice to reduce the fats. The fats you eat don't clog the arteries - speak to your liver to reduce arterial clogging! BTW you might want to ask for Metformin SR (Slow Release) as it's much kinder than standard Metformin.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @bulkbiker . Seven years ago I started a thread here to help me lose weight. One well meaning person advised me to count calories as well as carbs and that was my downfall. I lost weight initially then stalled for a very long time. I do count calories now, but to make sure I eat enough. I would personally never restrict calories again.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
thank you, 2 days of just water a s black coffee etc sounds LONG haha, what does it do for you in terms of your BG ?
I shall have a look at the Tom Brady method, thanks for the tip

It basically uses up all glycogen (sugars) that is in your liver, so it lower your blood sugars after an initial spike. As your liver dump the sugar out.

Once you use the sugar that liver has dumped out, any time between 18 to 24 hours. Your body will use fat as it main energy store.

This is why I like it a reset as it put my body into fat burning mood and clear out my glycogen levels.

So when your go back to eating low Carb high fat, the body will stick with the fat burning and therefore you will go back to losing weight.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi. I would advise ignoring Calories as they have little scientific basis with regard to the food you eat and are merely a measure of energy and not a food group. To minimise weight gain you are right to control the carbs. A good target to start with is 150gm/day or less if you can; find what works for you. Have enough fats, proteins, veg and non-tropical fruit. Unfortunately the obsession by the NHS, dieticians etc with Calories has resulted in the (bad) Low-Fat advice as fats have twice the calories than carbs hence the calorie-based advice to reduce the fats. The fats you eat don't clog the arteries - speak to your liver to reduce arterial clogging! BTW you might want to ask for Metformin SR (Slow Release) as it's much kinder than standard Metformin.

Yeah but you can still gain weight on low carb high Fat diets, if you only eat 3000 Calories of Chicken and you body only need 2000 calories for energy you ll gain weight.

Low carb high is great for blood glucose control but ignoring calories is not the way to lose weight.

The main reason a lot of people lose weight on Low carb High fat is the fact they have almost removed a food group and therefore cut there calories down.

To lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit. It is as simple and as difficult as that, as your body adapt to what we need energy wise.

Yes fats do contain twice the amount of Cals but with protein help keep you feeling fuller for longer, which stops snacking and therefore puts you in Calories deficit.

I do agree with you the clogging on the arteries.

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

hi Daibell
Thank you for the reply. I use my fitness pal to measure my carbs etc daily. I tend to have under 70g of carbs per day. Maybe I need to change things up as been eating the sad kind of things for the past year. Also need to increase the exercise. I haven’t taken metformin since June last year. I am Diet controlled now
Thanks again ☺️

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same issue a few months ago, i put 1.2kg on and couldn’t figure out how and it was down to consuming too much fat, i was going a bit to heavy on the double cream and nuts along with the fat in my meals.

Your body will use the dietary fat before your own and any left over will get stored, the last 6 weeks ive really cut back and the weight has gone back to where i want it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebowe1308

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same issue a few months ago, i put 1.2kg on and couldn’t figure out how and it was down to consuming too much fat, i was going a bit to heavy on the double cream and nuts along with the fat in my meals.

Your body will use the dietary fat before your own and any left over will get stored, the last 6 weeks ive really cut back and the weight has gone back to where i want it.

thank you yes I eat both so maybe I will try cut down on the high fat things for a bit and see if it starts coming back off. Thanks Zeeee