Type 2 on basal insulin

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been low carbing for 3 years (generally under 25 carbs daily). It’s certainly cut my dose of insulin down! But before my evening meal, I was 4.6 mmol, I had approx 15 carbs and 500 calories, but 4.5 hours later I was still 6.8 but this morning back to 4.6. Am I eating too many carbs at that meal? Difficult to do a family evening meal with lots of “good veggies” for much less. As I’m getting older it seems more difficult to get my blood sugar down after a meal. Any thoughts people?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Those levels aren't at all high.
Do you have a recent Hba1c result?

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I understand they aren’t high and my last hba1c was 43 which is fine and this time should be lower. It’s the length of time it’s taking to get back down as I thought it should be back to “normal” within a couple of hours, which for me is around 5.3. Any ideas?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand they aren’t high and my last hba1c was 43 which is fine and this time should be lower. It’s the length of time it’s taking to get back down as I thought it should be back to “normal” within a couple of hours, which for me is around 5.3. Any ideas?

Hi,

What basal insulin are you prescibed?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That isn't the usual thinking.
Testing by taking a reading just before starting to eat and another one two hours later is a standard routine, and the difference being no more than two whole numbers is what is considered good control.
I find that indicates how suitable the meal's carbohydrate content was, and how I am dealing with it.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, should have also asked this up thread. are you prescribed any other diabetes medication?
One forxiga tablet every morning. I only take 12 units of Lantus daily. If I have a meal with starchy carbs (rare) or sugar (also rare) I calculate and use a bolus to control that intake

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One forxiga tablet every morning. I only take 12 units of Lantus daily. If I have a meal with starchy carbs (rare) or sugar (also rare) I calculate and use a bolus to control that intake

OK, you are also prescribed a fast acting insulin like Novorapid, too?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK? I use Lantus & Novorapid.

Those numbers you are seeing are not alarming.. (Looks like you're doing pretty well.) Ideally, if you had access to a sensor you might see something that was missed with a meter?

Even non diabetics don't get a flat line in respose to food.

A basal bolus regime is designed for the reason.

You mentioned dropping back after a meal to 5.3 a little earlier after eating? Is that normally using Novorapid too?

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really don’t use the bolus, Novorapid, unless I go over 25 carbs by an appreciable amount. So I’m just talking about the time, just using a basal, Lantus, that it takes my body to get back to a “normal for me” reading after a meal. I eat around 6 and have a reading of, say, 4.6 just before I eat. Checked at around 10.30pm and it’s still up at 6.8 which I know is an ok reading but not what I would prefer to see. The following morning I’m back to 4.8. (Actual readings for the past 24 hours). Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really don’t use the bolus, Novorapid, unless I go over 25 carbs by an appreciable amount. So I’m just talking about the time, just using a basal, Lantus, that it takes my body to get back to a “normal for me” reading after a meal. I eat around 6 and have a reading of, say, 4.6 just before I eat. Checked at around 10.30pm and it’s still up at 6.8 which I know is an ok reading but not what I would prefer to see. The following morning I’m back to 4.8. (Actual readings for the past 24 hours). Thanks

When do you inject your Lantus?