Is 4 ok

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So my sugars are great at the moment. Very rarely do I even go up as high as 7 which is fab.
Several times I hit the 4s. I still struggle with the 4s and can’t spend too long at that range.
I’m not on meds that cause hypos.

so is it ok to be in the 4s (I know hypos are anything less than 4) or is that classed as a bit low and 5s are better?

mid im in the 4s should I be working to put them up to 5?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my sugars are great at the moment. Very rarely do I even go up as high as 7 which is fab.
Several times I hit the 4s. I still struggle with the 4s and can’t spend too long at that range.
I’m not on meds that cause hypos.

so is it ok to be in the 4s (I know hypos are anything less than 4) or is that classed as a bit low and 5s are better?

mid im in the 4s should I be working to put them up to 5?

Unmedicated 4's are great and what you should be aiming for.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Given you say you're not on any meds that lower blood glucose, 4's are perfectly fine, you should not need to raise them.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Given you say you're not on any meds that lower blood glucose, 4's are perfectly fine, you should not need to raise them.
I am medicated but on trulicity so not a hypo causing one

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to this Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.3634.pdf
Trulicity can cause hypos:

‘Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) is common when dulaglutide is used alone, or with both
metformin and pioglitazone together, or with a sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor (SGLT2i) with or without metformin’

I’d therefore recommend discussing with your GP the strategy when you feel you are going low: while it’s true for those not on meds or my BG lowering medication that being in the 4s is not a problem, bearing in mind what the PIL says, I’d want to take medical advice.

Reactions: KK123

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
6C4CF366-0174-415C-B99A-D64B29347E1A.png
According to this Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.3634.pdf
Trulicity can cause hypos:

‘Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) is common when dulaglutide is used alone, or with both
metformin and pioglitazone together, or with a sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor (SGLT2i) with or without metformin’

I’d therefore recommend discussing with your GP the strategy when you feel you are going low: while it’s true for those not on meds or my BG lowering medication that being in the 4s is not a problem, bearing in mind what the PIL says, I’d want to take medical advice.
That’s weird.
In this paragraph about driving it says it’s when used with something I can’t spell and insulin. That kind of implies it’s if used with those you might get hypos.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The leaflet is not clear. There are 2 statements under side effects that talk about hypoglycaemia. One talks about Trulicity alongside other medications and the one I quoted mentions it in the context of using it alone.

Neither I, nor anyone else on here can clarify which applies to you and the safest option is to discuss with your GP.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The leaflet is not clear. There are 2 statements under side effects that talk about hypoglycaemia. One talks about Trulicity alongside other medications and the one I quoted mentions it in the context of using it alone.

Neither I, nor anyone else on here can clarify which applies to you and the safest option is to discuss with your GP.
Hi yes. Very confusing. I’ll talk to her. Well try. I know at the mo she is busy.
To be safe I’ll put in a couple more carbs tonight as I take meds tonight. Just in case