dmacdonald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I hope you’re all well.

Over the past couple of months I have been working on producing a video for newly diagnosed type 1 diabetics where myself and 4 other fellow diabetics talk about our experience with type 1 diabetes and the achievements we have gained whilst managing the condition.

The video was released today and I would love it if you could check it out, or share it with someone you know who has been recently diagnosed so they can see that type 1 diabetes won’t put an end to their fun, ambitions and positive mental health.

I decided to make this video as I found it very difficult to accept the huge changes to my life when I was diagnosed. A couple of months before I was diagnosed, I lost a friend to pericarditis and found it really difficult to deal with my diagnosis on-top of the sadness from my friend passing away. Being diagnosed can be a very overwhelming time, so it is very important for those newly diagnosed to be aware of the amazing diabetic community out there as well as looking at the condition in a positive way.

The link to the video is:

Thank you!
Duncan

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I hope you’re all well.

Over the past couple of months I have been working on producing a video for newly diagnosed type 1 diabetics where myself and 4 other fellow diabetics talk about our experience with type 1 diabetes and the achievements we have gained whilst managing the condition.

The video was released today and I would love it if you could check it out, or share it with someone you know who has been recently diagnosed so they can see that type 1 diabetes won’t put an end to their fun, ambitions and positive mental health.

I decided to make this video as I found it very difficult to accept the huge changes to my life when I was diagnosed. A couple of months before I was diagnosed, I lost a friend to pericarditis and found it really difficult to deal with my diagnosis on-top of the sadness from my friend passing away. Being diagnosed can be a very overwhelming time, so it is very important for those newly diagnosed to be aware of the amazing diabetic community out there as well as looking at the condition in a positive way.

The link to the video is:

Thank you!
Duncan

Hi Duncan,

You are right. It shouldn't throw you off your stride. Just a little forward planning.
T1 for nearly 45 years here. I just cracked on with life.

Some of the vids I've done sort'of promote my current band, so I keep em off the forum.
Look downs we all needed "something" to keep us going. Lol, so I continued writing songs with Internet driven collaborations & invested in a green screen.

I lost a fellow long term T1 of over 50 years friend & bass player a while back.

Live life to the full or die trying..

dmacdonald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee,

That’s amazing that you have been a type 1 diabetic for nearly 4 years, I aspire to be in your position when I’m older!

Lockdown has been tough and having a hobby really does get you through it, it’s good to hear that you are part of a band, I’ve been playing the piano for around 10 years now and love playing in groups.

Sorry for your loss, that must’ve been really hard for you. You’ve highlighted a really important point there, thanks for commenting.

Duncan

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee,

That’s amazing that you have been a type 1 diabetic for nearly 4 years, I aspire to be in your position when I’m older!

Lockdown has been tough and having a hobby really does get you through it, it’s good to hear that you are part of a band, I’ve been playing the piano for around 10 years now and love playing in groups.

Sorry for your loss, that must’ve been really hard for you. You’ve highlighted a really important point there, thanks for commenting.

Duncan

No Internet when I was diagnosed.
"Stiff upper lip," my folks knew I had no option than to live my life as an independent at some point..

The story still has yet to be written for me. Still having some fun. Lol, you don't know the half of it. :)

My advice to you as a young guy. Do what's right for you. Don't compromise because of insulin dependency.
It's life choices in this game. Diabetes don't actually come into it.. In my experience the non Ds are never concerned. ;)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
40 years for me , Diabetes shouldn’t really stop you doing anything you want to , all I will say is set your sights high and you will achieve , diabetes needs to be respected but it shouldn’t feel like a jail sentence , there are bound to be ups and downs as in life , having diabetes is such an individual thing what works for one doesn’t work for another , and living with diabetes is a journey of experience of what works for you . Obviously there a a few certain rules you have to follow, but you have to live too . I know from personal experience how hard it can be , but it doesn’t stop me doing anything in fact it probably makes me prove to myself I CAN to anything . Anyone who has had diabetes as long as I have knows about life without technology , and we’re still here , so there is hope for everyone , technology has made diabetic treatment far better , so longevity and diabetes can now go hand in hand , so it’s only up to the individual to decide what they do with it ,
“ Do it and regret it , Never regret not doing it “