Phobias around food

Luvly

Does anyone else have these or similar phobias. I have a huge phobias on wrigglies. ( childhood phobia ), ( Sorry I can't say the real word, because just seeing the word causes anxiety).
I also fear that some foods might give me the horrid C word. As 3 years ago my cat died of stomach C, and last year my X husband died from Stomach C too.
More times than not, I get extremely anxious when it comes to food, I literally crutinise and examine pretty much everything, and that's how I ended up eating junk foods and snacks. Crisps, chocolate, biscuits,cake etc.
I've gained over 7 stone in 7 years. I have to lose 10 stone.
It's not the food that I fear, it what could be in it
I love salad, I even grow my own in the greenhouse, during the summertime.I still I struggle to eat salads because of the phobia.
I like eating fish, but because of what I've seen on social media, wrigglies (autorun), I now fear that too, so I buy fish in breadcrumbs, so that I can't see the fish?
For some reason, I'm ok with junk food. So yeah, eating healthly is going to be double hard for me. I usually end up balling my eyes out and skipping eating meals, when the anxiety become too much around food.
Since being diagnosed, approximately 2 weeks ago, I've not had any junk food.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Luvly

Well, ditching the junk food for the past 2 weeks is a great achievement in those circumstances.

I suspect you’re going to need to do 2 things:

- Confront your phobias around food, with support either from those in a similar position or with professional help.
- Adjust your way of eating as best you can, and hopefully adding more as you deal with the first.

There are lots of workarounds with low carb ‘coatings’ / replacements for things like breadcrumbs, but they do rely on you making the coating / applying it yourself.

You don’t mention meat in your post. Are you happy with that? How about eggs? Tinned fish?

And what have you been eating the past 2 weeks? That might give us something to go on.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sorry about this: I saw an earlier post of yours, and guessed that the phobias ran along these lines. Goonergal has it right: tinned fish and eggs are wriggle free (GUARANTEED), and good for your diabetes. Please look into it, and fix yourself up with some healthy meals: I'm sure everyone is with me in wishing you all the best!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Frozen and cooked, or out of a tin, nothing is going to be alive after that.
Cats are very prone to problems with the stomach as they are fed carbohydrates when it is not their natural diet. They are carnivores by nature.

Reactions: Luvly

Luvly

Hi @Luvly

Well, ditching the junk food for the past 2 weeks is a great achievement in those circumstances.

I suspect you’re going to need to do 2 things:

- Confront your phobias around food, with support either from those in a similar position or with professional help.
- Adjust your way of eating as best you can, and hopefully adding more as you deal with the first.

There are lots of workarounds with low carb ‘coatings’ / replacements for things like breadcrumbs, but they do rely on you making the coating / applying it yourself.

You don’t mention meat in your post. Are you happy with that? How about eggs? Tinned fish?

And what have you been eating the past 2 weeks? That might give us something to go on.
Meat, that's a very difficult one. Some days I'm ok. I'm able to eat white meat and bacon. I often buy meat with confidence, then by the time I go to prepare/cook it, I feel the anexiety/ panic coming in, then I closely look at the meat, get all anxious again, and end up putting it in the bin. I know this might sound funny to some, but for me it's a real worry.
I used to be able to eat any kind of meat from the supermarkets, but now I'm just to frightened.
I've started eating rivitas, cottage cheese. And other cheeses, mixed nuts (about 2 handfuls), sun-dried tomatoes.
I can sometimes eat ready packed salad, but I literally have to examine every single piece of salad before eating it. As last year, I found a dead catapilar ( shudder even typing the word) in a packet of mixed salad.
I'm getting closer and closer to becoming a vegetarian, Even though I hate Quorn. And I like meat. My boyfriend is vegetarian. For the past 2 weeks I've been eating egg on toast ( multigrain bread ), plaice or haddock in breadcrumbs with frozen vegetables. And now I'm starting to get tired of the same things.

I like tinned fish, but of late, I won't buy it, for fear that I might see something.
My Doctor knows about these phobias, and has referred me to a psychologist. ( Waiting to hear from them ).
The food phobias started getting worse three years ago. I've even broke down in tears in the supermarket, because when I go to buy food, I panic.
So I started eating pizzas, which I don't really like, but had to eat something. But stopped them 2 weeks ago too.
If my boyfriend isn't in my home, I would not be able to touch these foods, until he comes over and I ask him to stand/sit next to me, while I'm preparing the salad.
I'm really trying hard, it's so difficult.

Last edited:

Luvly

I'm sorry about this: I saw an earlier post of yours, and guessed that the phobias ran along these lines. Goonergal has it right: tinned fish and eggs are wriggle free (GUARANTEED), and good for your diabetes. Please look into it, and fix yourself up with some healthy meals: I'm sure everyone is with me in wishing you all the best!
Thank you. I'm so glad that I've joined here.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm able to eat white meat
Are you ok buying cooked chicken say, from the rotisserie counter at the supermarket? That would be a good option.
I've started eating rivitas, cottage cheese. And other cheeses, mixed nuts (about 2 handfuls), sun-dried tomatoes.
Test after the ryvita, it may not be good for your blood sugars. Those other things sound good.
For the past 2 weeks I've been eating egg on toast
Ditch the toast! Add an extra egg.
plaice or haddock in breadcrumbs
Would your boyfriend be up for buying fresh fish and adding a coating - grated Parmesan cheese makes a great substitute, with or without seeds mixed in.

Just a few ideas. Sounds like you’re making a big effort and this won’t be easy, but hang in there!

Luvly

Are you ok buying cooked chicken say, from the rotisserie counter at the supermarket? That would be a good option.

Test after the ryvita, it may not be good for your blood sugars. Those other things sound good.

Ditch the toast! Add an extra egg.

Would your boyfriend be up for buying fresh fish and adding a coating - grated Parmesan cheese makes a great substitute, with or without seeds mixed in.

Just a few ideas. Sounds like you’re making a big effort and this won’t be easy, but hang in there!
I buy both cooked and raw chicken, with raw chicken, I flavour it with seasonings, that's when I'm feeling confident.
Next time I eat rivita, I'll test.
Coat fish with Parmesan cheese? That sounds nice. Aye my boyfriend would do that for me.
Thank you x

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Sorry you are having a tough time.

I agree that you need some help about the phobias but until my suggestions.

Are you able to eat bacon? That has basically no carbs. What about pork roast with lots of crackling? You can try cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash. I have a mixture of cauliflower nd broccoli mash- add some cream or cheese.

Have some cooked chicken in the fridge so it is easy to eat. Cheese is also your friend- many ways to eat all delicious.

What about crispy skin salmon? Olives instead of the nuts.

Good luck! and a virtual hug while you are working this out.

Reactions: Grannypat and Luvly

Luvly

Hello and welcome,

Sorry you are having a tough time.

I agree that you need some help about the phobias but until my suggestions.

Are you able to eat bacon? That has basically no carbs. What about pork roast with lots of crackling? You can try cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash. I have a mixture of cauliflower nd broccoli mash- add some cream or cheese.

Have some cooked chicken in the fridge so it is easy to eat. Cheese is also your friend- many ways to eat all delicious.

What about crispy skin salmon? Olives instead of the nuts.

Good luck! and a virtual hug while you are working this out.
Hi, I do like bacon and cracking. I've never heard of cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash. Never heard of crispy skin salmon either. Thank you for your suggestions