Starting out.

Ruthiecbrown

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read so much on this site and so many low carb books/ websites but I drive myself around in circles getting started. I usually get so hungry I give up.
Today is my new start ( again- roughly my 61000th new start!) I fasted until lunch. Did a 30 minute turbo trainer ride then lunch was an omelette with two eggs a blob of butter some grated cheddar three cherry tomatoes and basil leaves.
I have just got in from a walk with my kids and I am so hungry. Our dinner won’t be til 8pm when husband finishes work. Should I just try to tough it out or is it ok to have a low carb snack to keep me going til dinner? Also going forward how much should I worry about calories or should I just worry about carbs?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Ruthiecbrown

Sounds like you’re diving in head first before you’ve given your body time to adapt.

Not snacking is the ideal way to go, but it’s not always possible and it sounds like you haven’t eaten much at all today so I’d say if you’re hungry, eat!

If you’re using fasting, then I’d suggest making sure your meals are large enough to keep you satisfied between meals and definitely don’t worry about calories, focus on the carbs.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I have read so much on this site and so many low carb books/ websites but I drive myself around in circles getting started. I usually get so hungry I give up.
Today is my new start ( again- roughly my 61000th new start!) I fasted until lunch. Did a 30 minute turbo trainer ride then lunch was an omelette with two eggs a blob of butter some grated cheddar three cherry tomatoes and basil leaves.
I have just got in from a walk with my kids and I am so hungry. Our dinner won’t be til 8pm when husband finishes work. Should I just try to tough it out or is it ok to have a low carb snack to keep me going til dinner? Also going forward how much should I worry about calories or should I just worry about carbs?

First get your carbs sorted out, then, if you’re looking to lose weight, make small adjustments to calorie intake. If you dive right into both, you won’t know what your body is responding to.

its ok to snack, something like a handful of nuts and a tall glass of water is enough to take the edge off. Just pay attention to what your eating.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when I started out I did need a few snacks to help me through while my body was adjusting.
I used a few nuts, or a spoonful or 2 of full fat greek yoghurt, or a spoonful or 2 of double cream. Its fats that help you feel satisfied.

I'd also look at eating before 8pm. Most of us are better by keeping our eating times to a narrower window and leaving it overnight as long as possible, known as 16:8 fasting meaning you only eat in the 8 hour period and go 16 hours until you 'break fast.
As our body adapts and starts working better you can then make the eating window smaller and the fasting time longer.

It may mean hubby eating for one with you watching on, but you need to look after your helath