Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the Pfizer vaccine this afternoon. It was extremely well organised.
And I have had a slightly raised temperature, BGs and BP and an arm that is sore when I touch it. I was exhausted yesterday evening, but have been OK on that front today.

Edit: Not complaining at all, these mild side effects are nothing compared to one day with Covid19

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca 2 days ago. A sore arm (bruised feeling) is all I got and bgl just a little higher than normal still.

Max68

I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca 2 days ago. A sore arm (bruised feeling) is all I got and bgl just a little higher than normal still.

Same here, had same vaccine yesterday and had sore arm about 5 hours later for 10 mins. Most bizarre how it came and went that quickly. Slightly stiff neck last night and quite tired this evening but no idea if that's the vaccine. Oddly I woke up with a slight white spot on tongue like I'd burnt it on something hot. Talking to my sister she had same morning after vaccine so may be a side effect. Dab of bonjela sorted it.

Max68

Well an interesting message from my Universal Credit account today stating that I have a phone consultation on Wednesday stating -
Take part in your work search review by phone This is to check what you're doing to meet your commitments and agree next steps to increase your chances of getting work or earning more.
Are we out of lockdown yet?! Still only had the first jab but it seems they are pushing us back out there already! Back to the anxiety!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well an interesting message from my Universal Credit account today stating that I have a phone consultation on Wednesday stating -
Take part in your work search review by phone This is to check what you're doing to meet your commitments and agree next steps to increase your chances of getting work or earning more.
Are we out of lockdown yet?! Still only had the first jab but it seems they are pushing us back out there already! Back to the anxiety!

A condition of UC is that unless you are exempt, you must be actively seeking work.

Max68

Getting back to the main basis of the thread I notice in the news they say that The UK's R number has increased slightly to between 0.6 and 0.9, according to the latest official data. Coincidence that the schools opened again last week, and they said the kids didn't spread it!

Reactions: HSSS

JRT

Getting back to the main basis of the thread I notice in the news they say that The UK's R number has increased slightly to between 0.6 and 0.9, according to the latest official data. Coincidence that the schools opened again last week, and they said the kids didn't spread it!
I think the rest of the year will be interesting. I think they will continue to open up with assumption vaccines mean lower death rates/hospital admissions.
Fingers crossed!

Max68

I think the rest of the year will be interesting. I think they will continue to open up with assumption vaccines mean lower death rates/hospital admissions.
Fingers crossed!

Indeed you are right. In fact when I spoke to my "work coach" from the DWP they clearly assume that vaccines will mean lower death rates/hospital admissions. Once I have had my second vaccine I have some tough decisions to make as many of us will. Interestingly I am getting sent many emails re school vacancies and a lot more of them than I received prior to Covid. I wonder if it is possibly suggestive that a lot of school staff have jumped ship.

Reactions: JRT

JRT

Indeed you are right. In fact when I spoke to my "work coach" from the DWP they clearly assume that vaccines will mean lower death rates/hospital admissions. Once I have had my second vaccine I have some tough decisions to make as many of us will. Interestingly I am getting sent many emails re school vacancies and a lot more of them than I received prior to Covid. I wonder if it is possibly suggestive that a lot of school staff have jumped ship.
I've noticed on indeed that most frequent vacancies have been school and supermarket related. The school ones have been quieter though,maybe they filled the abandoned posts!
Yes,I feel safer after my first shot and maybe more so after the second. Despite that I feel it will be a while yet,especially when look at Europe at the moment. I suppose my biggest concern would be a new variant the vaccine cant protect against but they may be a risk we all have to learn to live with. At least I feel I have a fighting chance,unlike last year!

Max68

Hope all of you are ok?

Quite amusing this afternoon. Was expecting a call from the National Careers Service for an appointment to discuss my CV arranged by the Job Centre. The sort of appointment you have to agree to unless you want to get sanctioned. Didn't get a call, despite two reminder texts sent to my phone yesterday. Contacted DWP via online journal and no reply from them either. Assume that they will be sanctioning the Careers Service for not keeping their appointment! :banghead:

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Contacted DWP via online journal and no reply from them either. Assume that they will be sanctioning the Careers Service for not keeping their appointment! :banghead:

My husband has had similar issues with DWP. He recently completed a New Enterprise scheme in order to start a self-employed business. He completed the scheme and was advised to await a call from the DWP and that he couldn't start self-employment officially until he'd been signed off by them. Do you think that call came? He doesn't have an online journal (was only eligible for JSA), so had to go around the houses to get hold of someone. It took 3 weeks in total. 3 weeks of missing work opportunities.

Max68

My husband has had similar issues with DWP. He recently completed a New Enterprise scheme in order to start a self-employed business. He completed the scheme and was advised to await a call from the DWP and that he couldn't start self-employment officially until he'd been signed off by them. Do you think that call came? He doesn't have an online journal (was only eligible for JSA), so had to go around the houses to get hold of someone. It took 3 weeks in total. 3 weeks of missing work opportunities.

That's dreadful, they can be impossible to contact. I'm still waiting over a day later for a reply to my journal messages about the Careers Service not calling. Thing is if you don't do something they want you to do asap you get penalised for it.

Max68

Thought I would just place this question on here. Does anyone take Ramipril and suffer any side effects? Recently I have found I have been sweating a lot more, especially my morning walks and when I got on the golf course, so very little activity and I seem to be burning up even when it's chilly. Really uncomfortable. Had a couple of nights where the pillow ends up damp but it's not every night, more once in a blue moon. Seems odd and I am partially worried it could be the diabetes but have looked online and it turns out that it is down as a side effect of Ramipril and I have only been on it a month or so. Have suffered occasionally the cold clammy feeling when you sweat and feel hungry and weak, but eating something sorts that out, but not experienced perspiring when I am not doing much before! Rang the GP but they are closed for staff training!!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you got this sorted out at the drs @Max68. My mum was on Ramipril and had type 2 diabetes, but she never had those sort of side effects from it.
How is your mum doing? Hope she's ok, and you've been able to get back to your usual visits.

Max68

Hope you got this sorted out at the drs @Max68. My mum was on Ramipril and had type 2 diabetes, but she never had those sort of side effects from it.
How is your mum doing? Hope she's ok, and you've been able to get back to your usual visits.

Thank you.... GP has ordered some blood tests on Wednesday including a new HBA1C. Mine was an unbelievable 70 back in January after being pretty stable for years around the 48 mark so I was shocked to say the least. Probably my fault as I lost my way a bit last year with what I was eating but since January, albeit with the odd slip up, I have really cut down on carbs. No rice all, no white bread, no pastries and very rarely any potatoes. Still have the odd dark chocolate toffee, bag of crisps and a few black grapes but I tried "no carb" and it was driving me mad. So the improvements along with walking two miles a day every day hopefully will have brought it down. If it hasn't I'll be shocked. So I guess the GP might think the diabetes is causing it but it seems odd that it's been generally since I started the meds.

It may be just because there is still a cold wind because if you exercise when it is warm and sweat you don't really notice it, but with a cold wind you obviously feel it more on the skin. Walking through the winter I was wearing several layers to build up a sweat so that was deliberate but as it got a bit warmer the layers came off and that's why I was surprised I was still over heating even in a cool breeze!

Not sure what I will do if the HBA1c is still high because this ball of the foot problem is agony and obviously walking two miles a day won't help. Seeing a consultant on Wednesday with that as well.

Mum is ok. Last few weeks we have visited and it has been pretty brutal with her being extremely upset, frustrated and angry. Then last week she suffered four falls in 24 hours and was taken to hospital (against all her written wishes) with a suspected stroke. All scans were clear but when we saw her yesterday one side of her face was black and blue. Think she fell face first into a wall. She didn't seem in any pain and remarkably yesterday was our best visit and she was quite bright. Don't know how she does it, but she is one tough lady. We are going to continue visits where both my sister and I visit at the same time. She seems to be worse when only one of us goes as she wonders where the other one is and constantly queries it.

Last edited:

Max68

Well got the bloods back. HBA1c has dropped to 59 from 70 back in February. Not brilliant but at least I've got it down a bit. Bar HBA1c other abnormal readings were Lymphocyte count 5.3, Total White Cell Count 11.8, Mean Corp Haemoglobin 33.4 and Serum Calcium at 2.54. All just out of range rather than sky high. Everything else like Liver function etc all normal. To be fair my Lymphocyte's, White Cell Count and Mean Corp Haemoglobin fluctuate from normal range to just out of normal range all the time for some reason. The haemoglobin has only ever been in the green once in years but GP never says anything so assume it's not a problem. Only one that I have never seen out of range before is the Serum Calcium but I've read this can happen if you are dehydrated and it was a fasting blood test. So unless these "abnormals" are anything to worry about it could well be the Ramipril that's causing the sweating? Was in Sainsbury yesterday talking to someone (at distance) and I suddenly came over all hot and sweaty, really uncomfortable and strange. Came off Ramipril last night and switched back to Amlodipine until I speak with the GP. Maybe us males have a sort of menopause as I am 52!!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you.... GP has ordered some blood tests on Wednesday including a new HBA1C. Mine was an unbelievable 70 back in January after being pretty stable for years around the 48 mark so I was shocked to say the least. Probably my fault as I lost my way a bit last year with what I was eating but since January, albeit with the odd slip up, I have really cut down on carbs. No rice all, no white bread, no pastries and very rarely any potatoes. Still have the odd dark chocolate toffee, bag of crisps and a few black grapes but I tried "no carb" and it was driving me mad. So the improvements along with walking two miles a day every day hopefully will have brought it down. If it hasn't I'll be shocked. So I guess the GP might think the diabetes is causing it but it seems odd that it's been generally since I started the meds.

It may be just because there is still a cold wind because if you exercise when it is warm and sweat you don't really notice it, but with a cold wind you obviously feel it more on the skin. Walking through the winter I was wearing several layers to build up a sweat so that was deliberate but as it got a bit warmer the layers came off and that's why I was surprised I was still over heating even in a cool breeze!

Not sure what I will do if the HBA1c is still high because this ball of the foot problem is agony and obviously walking two miles a day won't help. Seeing a consultant on Wednesday with that as well.

Mum is ok. Last few weeks we have visited and it has been pretty brutal with her being extremely upset, frustrated and angry. Then last week she suffered four falls in 24 hours and was taken to hospital (against all her written wishes) with a suspected stroke. All scans were clear but when we saw her yesterday one side of her face was black and blue. Think she fell face first into a wall. She didn't seem in any pain and remarkably yesterday was our best visit and she was quite bright. Don't know how she does it, but she is one tough lady. We are going to continue visits where both my sister and I visit at the same time. She seems to be worse when only one of us goes as she wonders where the other one is and constantly queries it.
Sorry i haven't replied before Max. No carb would drive me mad too!
Hope the consultant was able to help with your foot problem, you've been doing well to walk 2 miles when you're in so much pain.
I don't have any suggestions with the sweating sorry.
I feel for you when you've visited your mum and she's been upset, frustrated and angry, that must be so heartbreaking, seeing someone you love react in that way, even though you know it's her dementia causing it. I hope you and your sister visiting together will work out better. Sending hugs.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well got the bloods back. HBA1c has dropped to 59 from 70 back in February. Not brilliant but at least I've got it down a bit. Bar HBA1c other abnormal readings were Lymphocyte count 5.3, Total White Cell Count 11.8, Mean Corp Haemoglobin 33.4 and Serum Calcium at 2.54. All just out of range rather than sky high. Everything else like Liver function etc all normal. To be fair my Lymphocyte's, White Cell Count and Mean Corp Haemoglobin fluctuate from normal range to just out of normal range all the time for some reason. The haemoglobin has only ever been in the green once in years but GP never says anything so assume it's not a problem. Only one that I have never seen out of range before is the Serum Calcium but I've read this can happen if you are dehydrated and it was a fasting blood test. So unless these "abnormals" are anything to worry about it could well be the Ramipril that's causing the sweating? Was in Sainsbury yesterday talking to someone (at distance) and I suddenly came over all hot and sweaty, really uncomfortable and strange. Came off Ramipril last night and switched back to Amlodipine until I speak with the GP. Maybe us males have a sort of menopause as I am 52!!
Well done on the reduced Hba1c, it's heading in the right direction.
When you've had a reaction like you had in Sainsbury's, have you ever done a blood test, or could it be a 'false hypo' if your bloods are now lower than before, especially if you've not had any carbs.
Hope the GP can shed some light on it for you, as it sounds unpleasant, or being back on the Amlodipine stops it happening.