Dramatic changes in blood sugar pattern

anouser1

Hey everyone, I've been T1D for just over a year and until now I think I've managed it well. Suddenly this week, I can't get "low". I've gone from always being in range to having 12+ mmol 4 hours after almost every meal, even when I take corrections for the previous high. I've even raised my background insulin by 1 unit and still I'm getting highs. I'd usually go from 5mmol to e.g. 5.5mmol etc using 6 units and now suddenly I'm going from 5 to 11 using 6 units, and then when correcting I'm still going to 12s!

Any advice? I don't feel ill or anything, it's REALLY annoying me right now. This literally started one time and has continued since, not even a gradual increase of the problem.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Some possibilities
1) Up to now you've been in the honeymoon period where you still produce some insulin and it's just ended
2) Your basal and/or bolus has gone off. Try changing the vial.
3) You've got an underlying infection such as a UTI (or even asymptomatic covid).

There are probably others but that's all I can think of for now.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like Ellie says the 2 main things I'd look at was changing my insulin in case it had become compromised in some way or your honeymoon is coming to an end which is likely to be the case, perform a basal test if you can xx

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
could you have Covid, or have had the vaccination?
There are quite a few reports on here of elevated levels after either of those

anouser1

Hey everyone. thanks for all the replies. little update here:

On Thrusday and Friday I thought I was getting back to normal but then I had my vaccine and despite having no symptoms [other than shaking a bit for an hour 12hrs after it] I haven't felt unwell at all but my sugars have gone even worse now. After having a meal I'd usually use 9 units for, I took 12 [one because I was high again from the previous meal] and still ended up having to take 2 corrections after it. So 13 for a meal usually needing 9...

Is it possible that it was just a random blip for a few days, got back to normal and now the vaccine is causing these ones? I've used a new basal pen and didn't seem to help either.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be like you said a random blip, and now the vaccine has raised your blood sugar, it certainly did mine, after an initial crazy dip. I'd normally say do a basal check, but it's probably not going to tell you a lot at the moment, having had the vaccine. Maybe try increasing your basal a little bit more, if you're happy doing that, and correct with bolus during the day for a week, and then do a basal check.
What basal insulin are you using, and do you split it, or give it once a day?

anouser1

It could be like you said a random blip, and now the vaccine has raised your blood sugar, it certainly did mine, after an initial crazy dip. I'd normally say do a basal check, but it's probably not going to tell you a lot at the moment, having had the vaccine. Maybe try increasing your basal a little bit more, if you're happy doing that, and correct with bolus during the day for a week, and then do a basal check.
What basal insulin are you using, and do you split it, or give it once a day?
I'm on Tresiba and use it once a day. I usually do 14 and I'm currently on 15