Nic97

I have finally be approved to get a pump and out of my options, I have narrowed it down to either the tandem t:slim or the omnipod dash.

I like the idea of the omnipod as it's tubeless and I like that I can do my bolus doses remotely. My worry is that the pod itself is bulky though and I will 'feel' it on my body, particularly when sleeping. I've also heard a lot about pod leaks that seem to happen quite often for a lot of people?

The other option of the tslim appeals to me because it has the option to be paired with the Dexcom G6 to create a closed-loop system, although I would have to fund the G6 myself. The tubes worry me, both getting in the way and issues with air bubbles, kinking, etc., although I think a small insertion site will be easier to sleep with. I also like there are multiple options for cannulas in case there is one you don't get on with. Oh and the fact the software is upgradeable, unlike any other pumps.

So my question is if you have used either of these I would love to hear your thoughts and pros and cons. I really feel 50/50 on them right now.

Should probably also mention this will be my first insulin pump as I have been on MDI's since diagnosis four years ago.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You can order a sample pod and wear it for a few days

I went tandem for g6.. Got used to it within a few days and have much better control due to closed loop

With the pod I would still need lots of blood tests and still wouldn't have as good control

Reactions: tircoed

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My worry is that the pod itself is bulky though and I will 'feel' it on my body, particularly when sleeping.
Whilst I have not used either of the pumps you mention, I have used both a tubed and patch pump.
My experience is that I found the tubed pump more of a problem at night. If I didn't tether it (strap it to my upper leg), it would always be where I turned over. In contrast, the patch pump is positioned away from boney areas and not somewhere I lie.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've used the Omnipod on a trial for 3 months but some years ago, its wasn't the Dash. I found siting it a big issue for me, less room for rotation due to size of pump compared to a wired cannula, but the actual wearing was fine. I'd hope they have sorted out the alarms by now, back then a faulty one could only be shut up by removing the pump and taking a hammer to it (it needed removing anyway), not nice if you were working or travelling etc. I use the t:slim and G6 and its great.

I would add that I put off my move to a pump for 10 yrs because I worried about carrying something and having it plugged into me - it was 10 wasted years tbh.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Whilst I have not used either of the pumps you mention, I have used both a tubed and patch pump.
My experience is that I found the tubed pump more of a problem at night. If I didn't tether it (strap it to my upper leg), it would always be where I turned over. In contrast, the patch pump is positioned away from boney areas and not somewhere I lie.

I have the tandem I don't tether it at night... I find it just follows me around the bed like a list puppy not had any issues

Only one thing is on a cold night I've had it dangle in the middle of my back and it's a metal body so gets a little cold for a few seconds

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I had omnipod eros for 5 years and 5 months and i switched to Dash about 5 weeks ago --- i have only good things to say about omnipod ...no tubes so it stays on when i shower , i can site it anywhere from forearm , upper arm , upper chest , upper stomach , lower stomach , love handles lower back and thighs. i almost always forget that i am even wearing it.

in the whole time i have been on omnipod I have had 11 failed pods out of a total of approx 665 pods so far -- which is a failure rate of 1.6% which i don't find high at all

I also use freestyle libre , miaomiao and xdrip so i have fully functioning CGM that helps keep my time in range at good levels for me

my 90 day time in range is ...........in range 90% above range 8% and below range 2% ( my range is 3.9 to 9.5 )

Nic97

I have the tandem I don't tether it at night... I find it just follows me around the bed like a list puppy not had any issues

Only one thing is on a cold night I've had it dangle in the middle of my back and it's a metal body so gets a little cold for a few seconds

Yes I don't move too much in my sleep so I think it would hopefully just sit nearby!

Nic97

I had omnipod eros for 5 years and 5 months and i switched to Dash about 5 weeks ago --- i have only good things to say about omnipod ...no tubes so it stays on when i shower , i can site it anywhere from forearm , upper arm , upper chest , upper stomach , lower stomach , love handles lower back and thighs. i almost always forget that i am even wearing it.

in the whole time i have been on omnipod I have had 11 failed pods out of a total of approx 665 pods so far -- which is a failure rate of 1.6% which i don't find high at all

I also use freestyle libre , miaomiao and xdrip so i have fully functioning CGM that helps keep my time in range at good levels for me

my 90 day time in range is ...........in range 90% above range 8% and below range 2% ( my range is 3.9 to 9.5 )

oh good to hear you haven't had too many pod failures. The way they scream does terrify me a bit though, can just vision it doing it in a very public quiet place!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
oh good to hear you haven't had too many pod failures. The way they scream does terrify me a bit though, can just vision it doing it in a very public quiet place!!
the first time it happened to me i was in a supermarket and for a good minute i couldn't even figure out that it was me making the racket....i just left my trolley in the aisle walked out to my car changed pods and went back in and carried on shopping......