Covid vaccine halted in other countries

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit different view on this -- but probably due to already having been diagnosed with DVT and PE once. I have to admit I am definitely a little apprehenive -- even if there is probably nothing to it. But maybe better safe than sorry.

So, if given a choice I would prefer one of the other vaccines like Biontech/Pfizer or Moderna. In Germany, AstraZeneca only makes up about 10% all all available vaccinations (due to production and delivery problems), so I hope this will be possible. Btw, vaccinations with AZ haven't been halted in Germany, but based on what I have read in the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Ireland, Iceland and parts of Italy.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you just get the vaccine that is there on the day. My hubby and I didn't have a choice. If I had had a choice I would have chosen Astra Zeneca, but I was given Pfizer. Hubby went to a different place for his and got the AZ

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you just get the vaccine that is there on the day. My hubby and I didn't have a choice. If I had had a choice I would have chosen Astra Zeneca, but I was given Pfizer. Hubby went to a different place for his and got the AZ

I agree with you, I probably won't be given a choice -- but from the looks of it, I might get vaccinated a my GP's practice and he knows of my prior DVT and PE -- so maybe there is a chance.

My major concern is that developing another thrombosis would have me stuck on blood thinners for life.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Hoping not to be a scaremonger - but reaching out to the community in case anyone knows more than the papers are stating...

I am due to get my vaccine on Tuesday (my gp has been quite slow on their roll out). I have been seeing reports of many countries pausing their use of the AZ vaccine because of incidences of clots in the under 50s.

The contraceptive pill increases the risk of DVT but is still prescribed significantly.

Honestly, this has frightened me a bit. I am super pro-vaccine, but as diabetics we are already at a higher risk of clots and strokes.

Most other folk that I know have had the Pfizer jab so I don’t know many that have had the AZ vaccine to chat about it with.

Is anyone else feeling the same?

Does anyone know what is actually happening in Norway? Should the UK be acting the same way or is this all a fuss over nothing?
I fully respect everyone to make their own choices. What that means is an invividual choice and the benefit of living in a democracy.

News will always sieze upon the worst case scenarios. The newspapers today are reporting that the instances are tiny

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ab-NOT-linked-blood-clots-scientists-say.html

(Accepted daily mail and bias, but isn't all news! So here's a totally different biased paper, but similar output https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...id-vaccine-suspended-blood-clot-b1817019.html)

Now... We are all adults and we have to make up our own minds. Every drug or vaccination has a risk. But so does Covid. Instances of blood clots occur anyway, my brother died from one related to diabetic and burn related complications and this was a few years ago, there are those in the population who may get it And the percentages are not necessarily meaning it is directly applicable to the vaccine

Different but applicable: Many women take the contraceptive pill daily even with a slightly increased risk of DVT. But I also read the risk of pregnancy blood clots are higher. Again, risk Vs alternative risk.

It might be, nothing is free from risk. Covid is killing people, buses kill people. Flu vaccine can but then so can flu... I have taken the vaccine and I knew there were risks, my partner after seeing what covid does, took the vaccine.

I suspect (my own opinion) that there is a political element to this. I am not a Brexiteer, far from it, but in this instance I am not supportive of the way the EU is acting.

Last edited:
Reactions: michita and lessci

Nomadathome

How convenient a lot of the countries stopping the vaccine due to concerns around blood clots forming, are also the countries who failed to pre order vaccines in advance and now their Governments are facing the wrath of the population for being inactive. Could it be self serving that they have halted the vaccines for now in that they can’t actually get them? Personally I am anti flu vac but having seen several co workers get immunised for Covid with no issues I got my first Asta Zenica about three weeks ago with no real ill affects other than a sore arm for about 36 hours (note to me: when I have my second dose ensure it’s not given on the side I sleep on).

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
there may, and I emphasise 'may' be a political agenda behind attempting to discredit the 'UK' vaccine. There is no statistical evidence for these claims, just as there was no evidence for claims about the safety of this vaccine for those over 65 years old.
What agenda has Iceland or any other country got, just please remember the EU paid a lot of money to help develop the AZ vaccine, I think the UK needs to stop thinking the whole of Europe is against them, They are not, most of Europe are happy to use AZ vaccine, but it was rushed through so a few countries may want further proof it is safe, I have had the Pfizer vaccine but I would have had the AZ vaccine if it was offerd me

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How convenient a lot of the countries stopping the vaccine due to concerns around blood clots forming, are also the countries who failed to pre order vaccines in advance and now their Governments are facing the wrath of the population for being inactive. Could it be self serving that they have halted the vaccines for now in that they can’t actually get them? Personally I am anti flu vac but having seen several co workers get immunised for Covid with no issues I got my first Asta Zenica about three weeks ago with no real ill affects other than a sore arm for about 36 hours (note to me: when I have my second dose ensure it’s not given on the side I sleep on).

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I hope you find it useful.
I must say I do find it slightly strange when first time posters appear on a thread, which is not directly related to diabetes.
It's probably me.
Pip pip.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update on what is happening in Europe. As to the news in the last three hours, Italy, France and Germany have also halted vaccinations with AZ pending further review of the evidence.

Personally, I don't believe that there is enough to go on to attribute these decisions purely to nationalism. In fact, a lot of effort has been invested in promoting the vaccine by Astra Zeneca in Europe since it is easier to handle and therefore easier for GP practices to administer.

@Nomadathome -- There have been some comparisons between EU and Britisch contracts for the AZ vaccine and they are virtually the same. Astra Zeneca themselves have cited export restrictions (probably from the US though they didn't really say) as the reason they are not meeting the numbers agreed upon in the contract.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am taking the view that every person who backs out of receiving the jab leaves that dose of vaccine for someone else - someone who has probably looked deeper into the actual risk (virtually negligible) and who will probably appreciate the benefits of it more.

Reactions: michita and Robbity

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am taking the view that every person who backs out of receiving the jab leaves that dose of vaccine for someone else - someone who has probably looked deeper into the actual risk (virtually negligible) and who will probably appreciate the benefits of it more.

I agree with you. The evidence seems to be that there is no proof that risk of DVT and PE is significantly elevated when receiving the AZ vaccine compared to what you find in the population at large. However, personally I still feel that a prior diagnosis of DVT and PE and thus probably a higher level of risk of suffering a similar fate, might be valid reason to prefer one of the other vaccines, at least at this point.

Edited to add: Sudden death, btw, is the first symptom of people suffering from DVT/PE is about 25% of people (https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/data.../PE,one-quarter (25%) of people who have a PE.)

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that's my view too. My asthmatic son in his 30s is wanting to get a jab, he has to wait until his age group are called.

Perhaps I should be joining the scaremongering to put more people off lol.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
France only delaying it till tomorrow, so not the great news the UK is makings it out to be, just a bit of extra imformation the blood clots that people who have had the AZ vaccine it is more to do with there plaquetes which changed which is not normal with normal blood clots

Last edited:

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spoke to my doctor this morning. We agreed that the effects of taking the vaccine before I can reassure myself would probably increase my anxiety.

I have cancelled my appointment this afternoon. I found it really emotional. I have been so excited to get this vaccine but my health anxiety is just making it too hard.

He says that I can rebook when I am ready.

SOPHIE2006

Hi everyone,

Hoping not to be a scaremonger - but reaching out to the community in case anyone knows more than the papers are stating...

I am due to get my vaccine on Tuesday (my gp has been quite slow on their roll out). I have been seeing reports of many countries pausing their use of the AZ vaccine because of incidences of clots in the under 50s.

Honestly, this has frightened me a bit. I am super pro-vaccine, but as diabetics we are already at a higher risk of clots and strokes.

Most other folk that I know have had the Pfizer jab so I don’t know many that have had the AZ vaccine to chat about it with.

Is anyone else feeling the same?

Does anyone know what is actually happening in Norway? Should the UK be acting the same way or is this all a fuss over nothing?
I'm 41 and received my Oxford Astra Zeneca jab 3 weeks ago and had no problems with it whatsoever

Reactions: hankjam

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke to my doctor this morning. We agreed that the effects of taking the vaccine before I can reassure myself would probably increase my anxiety.

I have cancelled my appointment this afternoon. I found it really emotional. I have been so excited to get this vaccine but my health anxiety is just making it too hard.

He says that I can rebook when I am ready.
This is good to hear. Do what is right for you. There will be other opportunities if you change your mind in the future.

Reactions: jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Report on my local news today 37 cases of blood clots out of 17 million vaccines given, in my humble opinion Europe messed up and are coverings up that they haven’t got enough vaccine in the first place

Reactions: jjraak

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Report on my local news today 37 cases of blood clots out of 17 million vaccines given, in my humble opinion Europe messed up and are coverings up that they haven’t got enough vaccine in the first place
Also there doesn't seem to be any data on the number of blood clot cases in people who have had the other vaccines.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, the video I posted above ^^^ crunches the numbers rather neatly.

Here it is again to save ppl scrolling to the first page of the thread

Blood clots happen all the time, throughout the population, and the incidence of them in people who have received the AZ vaccine is no higher than in the unvaccinated population.

No information source should be discussing the number of blood clots, without doing a comprehensive comparison with the number of blood clots in the unvaccinated population, and the number of blood clots in those receiving other vaccines. Otherwise the discussion is pointless and comes down to scaremongering.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovinglife

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am not a scientist but from what I have read, this vaccine has been developed so quickly because a huge amount of work had already been done on developing a vaccine for a SARS like virus after the last SARS outbreak, which is what Coronavirus is.
Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood.
Secondly, on the early news this morning it said that out of 17,000,000 people who have had the Oxford vaccine 40 people had later developed a blood clot, which is 0.00024%. I’m happy with those odds even if it turned out all cases were related to the vaccine.
I have had the Oxford vaccination and felt headachy for a few days but it didn’t stop me doing anything.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
According to the news this morning out of 17,000,000 people who have had the Oxford vaccine, 40 have subsequently had blood clots. This is 0.00024%. I’m happy with those odds even if the clots can all be related to the Oxford vaccine, which I’ve had.