Very high fasting numbers

singh1201

Hi everyone,

I am type 1 diabetic for 12 years now and currently using novarapid and lantus for my diabetes management. I always had bit of high fasting reading compared to my reading before sleep. However, for last 3 weeks atleast my fasting are all over place. Eg: Last night before bed i was 10.6 around 11:30pm and i had put extra insulin to bring it down for fasting. At around 3:30am i was 7.1, so i put 2 units novarapid to bring down as i do get bit of dawn phenomenon or something and i was worried of going higher. However , when i woke up at around 8am i was at 14.7. I couldn't believe it and this seems to be normal pattern . Somedays at night i will be at 5 and in morning i will be 9 for fasting. I always get high numbers compared to my overnight numbers . I am not sure if I do have bit of gastroparesis but not sure if it would kick in so late and i can remember this issue as long as i can remember but never this bad. What could be issue here ?Is my background insulin is working or adequate ? My lantus pen cartridge isn't broken so don't think thats an issue atleast in short term. Is it bad case of dawn phenomenon ?Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Singh

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @singh1201, sorry you’re having trouble with your morning high.
We’re not able to tell you what to do about it, and we’re all different so an analysis and solution that might work for one of us won’t necessarily work for others. It may be best if you consult your endocrinology doctor for ways to find a solution.
However, I can tell you what I’ve learned as a Type 1.
I, too, used to use Lantus and Novorapid but I had difficulty making the Lantus work for my needs: I either experienced night hypos or evening highs. I’ve now changed to Levemir. Some poeople take split doses of Lantus.
I’ve also found that if I have low blood sugars during the night then I can have a high in the morning as a result of hormones telling my body to correct the low with a burst of glucose.
One way you might be able to track what’s happened to you is to use a Libre sensor. It’s been a game changer for me; I’ve also got a miaomiao that sends my blood sugars to a watch that I can set alerts to tell me when it’s going too high or too low. Some people do this with an app on their phones.
I hope your endocrinologist can help you make things easier.

Reactions: xxrubywxx_

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My lantus pen cartridge isn't broken so don't think thats an issue atleast in short term.

Have you been on the same cartridge for all 3 weeks? Last time I had issues I changed over my lantus cartridge and all was well....

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another vote for basal testing. I also find my blood sugar can go high in the morning if I sleep in or have dinner late at night. I hope you work it out.

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Levimer works better for me and small dose of metformin. I struggled with bad morning highs of anywhere between 12-16 for a long time!