Unofficially official?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't really need to get an official diagnosis when I pop a reading like this one tonight, do I?

Before 5.6 mmol
30 mins 6.5 mmol
60 mins 11.2 mmol
70 mins 11.7 mmol
90 mins 10.2 / 11.3 / 12.3 / 11.3 mmol (yes, I wasted 4 strips)
105mins 9.9
120 mins 9.7
150 mins 8.5
180 mins 9.1 / 8.9
240 mins 6.5 mmol

Is that already full blown diabetes??

The only thing is this home carb fest, sorry, home test (it was a carb fest actually - to test), was also high in fat, as in, like pizza, but not exactly pizza - it was apple burek, layered flaky pastry, full of fat I'm certain, and I had enough that I was full this time, and now I am certain I have a big problem so I shall never ever do that again...

What's the worst result you've had after eating pizza?

I was reading about someone who is not diabetic testing themselves after a lot of pizza and they were also worried (unnecessarily perhaps) - they wrote:

"Unfortunately , I did not measure my blood sugar before the meal but it’s very likely it was in the 90s as usual . After that medium pie (6 to 8 slices) of pizza with extra cheese, sausage , pepperoni , and ham , at 1 hour , my blood sugar was 125. At 2 hours , the meter read 114 mg/dL. The problem is that after the first 2 hours , my blood sugar was not moving . It stayed between 119-129 mg/dL at 2.5 hours , 3 hours , 3.5 hours , and 4 hours . It finally started to come down to around 112 mg/dL at 4 hours 20 minutes and about 104 mg/dL at just under 5 hours after eating ."

But their reading, although it took 5 hours to return to base, never went above 7.1 mmol.

But I also read that a serious diabetic had a reading of nothing much in the first two hours but then over the next hours and into the next day shot up to 27mmol and took days to come down after eating pizza.

So I guess I'm on the lower end of bad, right? But there already. It's no longer just in the distance as some possible future problem. I'm already there.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you make it or buy it from somewhere?
The recipe seems to be sugar then more sugar with some extra sugar plus a hearty dose of pastry so even more sugar.. and apples.
Be interesting to see the labelling.. also of course the fats used if commercial might not have been very nice..

Reactions: oldgreymare

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you make it or buy it from somewhere?
The recipe seems to be sugar then more sugar with some extra sugar plus a hearty dose of pastry so even more sugar.. and apples.
Be interesting to see the labelling.. also of course the fats used if commercial might not have been very nice..

My husband brought it home from a Burek shop run by ex-Yugloslavs - no labels - just fresh like a pizza - and in a pizza box. Traditionally they would have used lard, like my grandmother did when she made her apple strudel, which tasted similar, but this is industrial stuff so I would say it was probably vegetable oil and sugar. It's been over 4 years since I tasted a piece and there it was in front of me, so I thought, well, the test is now or never.

It wasn't overly sweet - there was only a little bit of apple, so I think it was more the pastry that is lethal.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband brought it home from a Burek shop run by ex-Yugloslavs - no labels - just fresh like a pizza - and in a pizza box. Traditionally they would have used lard, like my grandmother did when she made her apple strudel, which tasted similar, but this is industrial stuff so I would say it was probably vegetable oil and sugar. It's been over 4 years since I tasted a piece and there it was in front of me, so I thought, well, the test is now or never.

It wasn't overly sweet - there was only a little bit of apple, so I think it was more the pastry that is lethal.

So pretty toxic food overall..
The results would seem to support that.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Highest blood sugar I've ever had after an 'eat fest'. Was 49.7mmol/l

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In order to test for diabetes using a glucose tolerance test, 75g of glucose, no fat, fibre or protein, is drunk rapidly, and the blood glucose readings are taken at 2 hours.
A low carber should be instructed to eat carbs every day for several days before the test to get their pancreas used to regular insulin demands, so that it can react to the sudden influx of sugar.

So, were you low carbing in the days before eating this? Or were you carbing up?
Unless you carbed up, it isn’t a fair test, and you shouldn’t draw conclusions from the results.

in addition, the fats in the pastry will have dramatically altered the speed the glucose reached your bloodstream, so that invalidates the results as a diagnostic tool.

I would urge you not to eat junk food, and to stick with low carbing, and enjoy your life.
If you are going to develop T2 following your gestational diabetes, then you can delay it with low carbing, and then control it with low carbing. So in my opinion it makes sense for you to low carb as an ongoing lifestyle.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Blimey, how the heck did you test that??? My meter goes up to 32mmol, then would just say 'hi' (and I don't mean hello)! My Mums, when she had been admitted to hospital in a hyperglycemic episode went up to the high 60s but they only knew that from some hospital equipment.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Blimey, how the heck did you test that??? My meter goes up to 32mmol, then would just say 'hi' (and I don't mean hello)! My Mums, when she had been admitted to hospital in a hyperglycemic episode went up to the high 60s but they only knew that from some hospital equipment.

Mine topped out at 33.3

I went to the GP as felt quite ill... They stuck me on an ecg and said I'd had a heart attack and called an ambulance

When in ITU being pumped full of morphine I told them I was diabetic and they did a test to give that reading

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine topped out at 33.3

I went to the GP as felt quite ill... They stuck me on an ecg and said I'd had a heart attack and called an ambulance

When in ITU being pumped full of morphine I told them I was diabetic and they did a test to give that reading

Gosh, did you mention the pizza!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Gosh, did you mention the pizza!

I find honesty the best.. Times were bad and I'm a comfort eater so yes I told them exactly

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find honesty the best.. Times were bad and I'm a comfort eater so yes I told them exactly

I don't mean as in you needed to cover it up (not a crime as far as I know), I just wondered what they said. Have you tried one since? x

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't mean as in you needed to cover it up (not a crime as far as I know), I just wondered what they said. Have you tried one since? x

No.. I know what you meant and how it was meant even if you did mean it any other way I wouldn't care ... Somethings I lie about but if you want proper health care the only thing you can do is tell the truth

I had more than pizza.. A lot more.. Extreme amounts more to be honest

I occasionally have pizza.. Still struggle with portion control and do suffer heighs for about 8 hours even though on a pump.. no matter what I do insulin wise so I tend I avoid pizza. But sometimes they just seem to call my name in a very seductive way

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Woah... that sounds serious!
In order to test for diabetes using a glucose tolerance test, 75g of glucose, no fat, fibre or protein, is drunk rapidly, and the blood glucose readings are taken at 2 hours.
A low carber should be instructed to eat carbs every day for several days before the test to get their pancreas used to regular insulin demands, so that it can react to the sudden influx of sugar.

So, were you low carbing in the days before eating this? Or were you carbing up?
Unless you carbed up, it isn’t a fair test, and you shouldn’t draw conclusions from the results.

in addition, the fats in the pastry will have dramatically altered the speed the glucose reached your bloodstream, so that invalidates the results as a diagnostic tool.

I would urge you not to eat junk food, and to stick with low carbing, and enjoy your life.
If you are going to develop T2 following your gestational diabetes, then you can delay it with low carbing, and then control it with low carbing. So in my opinion it makes sense for you to low carb as an ongoing lifestyle.

I'd been low carbing mostly for the last 2 years but just over a week ago it was my birthday and we went out to a restaurant and had a meal, with some carbs, and I didn't check what it did to me. Then I just kept going for the next week and let some carbs creep back in. I knew about needing to carb-up before a test and the last times I tried to prepare to test myself I would chicken out on the second day when I started seeing 9s at the one hour mark. So this way I just put the metre down for a week and enjoyed myself a little bit. I knew my pancreas would be awake this time... and it struggled a bit, didn't it?

Before the last OGTT I did about a year and a half ago, I don't think I had quite had enough carbs and my one hour was 12 or 13mmol but back down to the 6s by the 2 hours, and so this whole time I'd been hoping it was just the lack of carbs the day before each time I tried to have a few carbs that was pushing it up a bit. But I think I am genuinely at least prediabetic, or have impaired glucose tolerance. At least the first phase response seems to be slow. When I would test after a small amount of carbs - like half a cup of cooked rice, I'd see the spike at 30 mins and not the hour. I come back to normal (6s) by the two hour mark if I stick to half cup portions of carbs with only one meal a day, so that's what I plan to do. I'll probably have to have them at night because if I do make it into to ketosis, I find it hard to sleep.

I'm just grateful I found this forum and already know about low carbing. This test of carbs had to be done so I could accept that I probably do have an issue now and that it's probably not due to low carbing unfortunately. I wish it was.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pizza is my kryptonite. Sometimes I get away with it sometimes not. I've been stuck at 7 @ 2 hours one day and test the same meal a week later and be in the 5s. I believe even non-diabetics can spike long and hard with such a mixture of carbs and fats.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As someone with Type 1 diabetes, I have no trouble with pizza although I do practice about once a month.
The “problem” is the combination of high carbs and high fat which means the absorption of the carbs can take a long time. If I get my insulin dose wrong, it can affect my blood sugars for over 5 hours.

Until I mastered my insulin dosing, the “worst” experience I have had with a pizza was a “Lo” because I dosed all my insulin upfront and my blood sugars dropped before the carbs took affect.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Pizza bases do have a lot carbs so will always spike your blood sugar so it's best to go for the thin bases unless of course you are happy to increase your insulin dose quite a bit but be of course be careful .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I feel it's a little like comparing apples & Windows when it comes to the difference in diet & insulin managed.

Now, the odd time I've done pizza was after a gig. I will have eaten nothing for maybe 13 hours & for some reason feel a little "rock & roll" with the only thing on offer at 2am?
I'm already 3hours late for my basal but my bloods are still in the zone after the evening's activities..
So, I do my basal, then jack in for the carb content. Have a couple of scoops of voddy & Diet Coke with the pizza.

Some decent numbers happen. (Confirmed by the advent of using a sensor.)
I may wake late morning in the fives but I don't wake hypo inbetween.
I can only surmise the bolus covers a dead spot till the Lantus kicks in..

Don't try this at home.. (Actually I do, it hotel rooms I'm more cautious in.)

Doireallyneedanams

If you’ve had GD you should be having annual hba1c’s. Have you? If so; what were they? After my baby I spiked to 9.5 one hour after a bowl of Pho including rice noodles & rice paper veg spring rolls, but when I re tested 1 min later I was already at 7.2 - it started coming down very fast. Not much fat in that meal. I also ate low carb for months before that.

Non diabetics can spike high too.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't be too worried. My boyfriend hits 10 mmol/l when he has things like big bowl of pasta + candy, fast food, or beer, and he's definitely not diabetic. He comes back into range within 3 hours though. I'm a little bit envious :)

Doireallyneedanams

I wouldn't be too worried. My boyfriend hits 10 mmol/l when he has things like big bowl of pasta + candy, fast food, or beer, and he's definitely not diabetic. He comes back into range within 3 hours though. I'm a little bit envious :)

That’s interesting. Has he ever had bloods done to rule out prediabetes etc?