Unofficially official?

Doireallyneedanams

Why would he?, it's common enough.

Well, I guess because you said he’s definitely not diabetic I thought he may have already had tests. Many medics argue that a non prediabetic/diabetic would never see a number as high as 10 although I don’t believe it at all.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s interesting. Has he ever had bloods done to rule out prediabetes etc?
He hasn't, but I tested him a lot and he's pretty much always in the high 4's and doesn't spike after meals unless he has a mountain of carbs. Beer is especially bad, I've tested several of my friends (I'm great fun in the pub:)) and they also spike but quickly fall back into range. There's a study done on cereal and non-diabetics, it's been posted here a few times, and it shows similar spikes even in young people. I think it's safe to say that eating masses of carbs every day isn't brilliant for your blood sugar, but unless you're on a carb-restrictive diet everyone spikes from time to time.

Doireallyneedanams

He hasn't, but I tested him a lot and he's pretty much always in the high 4's and doesn't spike after meals unless he has a mountain of carbs. Beer is especially bad, I've tested several of my friends (I'm great fun in the pub:)) and they also spike but quickly fall back into range. There's a study done on cereal and non-diabetics, it's been posted here a few times, and it shows similar spikes even in young people. I think it's safe to say that eating masses of carbs every day isn't brilliant for your blood sugar, but unless you're on a carb-restrictive diet everyone spikes from time to time.

I thought as much. I tested my boyfriend after a Red Bull and he hit 8.3. It seems there’s still a lot of unknowns when it comes to non diabetic glucose.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
There are some high numbers people are accepting of.

Above 7.8 is said to cause micro vascular damage. Then there's the insulin required to get back to normal, and with a crash usually increased hunger. Higher variance between the starting bg and spike is said to also be dangerous.

I am convinced that decision making is relational to the complications diabetes has inflicted on the individual, as shop bought pizza I couldn't risk.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Blimey, how the heck did you test that??? My meter goes up to 32mmol, then would just say 'hi' (and I don't mean hello)! My Mums, when she had been admitted to hospital in a hyperglycemic episode went up to the high 60s but they only knew that from some hospital equipment.
A guy I met on holiday a few years ago told me he went to his Drs for a blood test as he wasn't feeling good , That evening he was sitting watching the tv when he noticed some blue lights flashing through the curtains and a knock on the door from an ambulance crew who rushed him to hospital as his blood sugar was in the 60s and his Dr had called for an ambulance , He was diagnosed as type 1 and said he now felt great !

Reactions: oldgreymare