Libre for Dummies

MVSmith

Hello everyone,

It's been well over a year since I've last been on here as I'm sure we've all been overwhelmed with other things. I have today had my first diabetes check up consultation in over a year and we have been discussing a bit about the possibility of me having a Libre Sensor. I feel like the best place to ask is on here as I have no idea about it really, I guess what I'm asking is for a "Libre for Dummies" guide and just a heads up about it all. I would be so grateful for any advice and experiences you all have! Thank you and happy Friday

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MVSmith ,

Welcome back. My experience has been a positive one.
Though, I don't see them as a complete replacment fo my meter. More like a "dash cam" view of the day to day journey as opposed to the od spot check with the speedo whilst driving.?

If you could let us know what you already know about them, we could help you out..?

Reactions: MVSmith

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was provided with online training when I was prescribed the Libre. If you are getting yours from your consultant, they should have Idiots guides" for you. It is not of any interest to them to prescribe something to someone who does not know how to use it.

If you want to learn beforehand, Abbott have some useful, basic videos on https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/help/tutorials.html

MVSmith

Hi @Jaylee thank you

I don't know a great deal about them if I'm being totally honest, she just said I can use it as a better tool to better monitor my BG levels

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jaylee thank you

I don't know a great deal about them if I'm being totally honest, she just said I can use it as a better tool to better monitor my BG levels

To be quite frank, it probably depends on your consultant..
Spoke to mine last Monday he asked me if I still use a Libre. (I self fund.)
I asked why, he informed me my A1c was great. I enquired if there was any chance of getting them on script.
He's instructing my GP to amend the repeat prescription.

I've had no "formal training."

I feel "monitoring" is only one aspect. Finger prick records can be looked at by a DSN in the same way as Libre graphs.

It a great tool for personal BG management, in my view?
I mentioned earlier the Libre is like a "dash cam."
It's probably closer to a "sat nav" for me when used as a CGM set up.. Heed the "traffic updates" & avoid any "hold ups."

It's not needed to know where you've been. Using it to know where you are going is more helpful.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

It's been well over a year since I've last been on here as I'm sure we've all been overwhelmed with other things. I have today had my first diabetes check up consultation in over a year and we have been discussing a bit about the possibility of me having a Libre Sensor. I feel like the best place to ask is on here as I have no idea about it really, I guess what I'm asking is for a "Libre for Dummies" guide and just a heads up about it all. I would be so grateful for any advice and experiences you all have! Thank you and happy Friday

Good afternoon MV,

Thank you for your post. I have been Type 2 now for nearly 30 years and used to get Hpos in the night quite regularly and sometimes during the day. My blood Sugar levels, in my opinion, were a mess and at best fasting around 10 in the morning.

I was put on Insulin Humulin M3 about 10 years ago but was still getting some night time Hppos.

I bought the Libre (cost about £100) to try and find out what was happening to my Blood Sugar levels - it does NOT measure the Blood Sugar but rather the fluid beneath your skin (cannot remember what it is called) - but it did give me an overall pattern of what was happening hourly, or even minute by minute if I wanted it, and when I had a "spike" or a "low" I could check it against my meter to see what my Blood Sugar level was.

AS A WARNING DEVICE IT WAS EXCELLENT. It also taught me about "Liver Dumps" in the night which was causing high fasting Blood Sugar readings in the morning. "Liver Dumps" happen when your Blood Sugars drop to around 4 on your meter to prevent a Hypo. When "Liver Dumps" are ignored you could also go into HYPO about 30 minutes later.

The same thing used to happen during the day if I was out shopping or walking - The LIBRE "spike" of "dip" would warn me.

If you are getting it for FREE - use it. Personally, I found it too expensive but through it I learned to "read" my body and especially my "brain" so that Hypos are a thing of the past. I now manage to keep my fasting Blood Sugars roughly between 4.5 and 6. So, I don't use the LIBRE any more.

Have a nice day.

MVSmith

Thank you so much for the info

There's no way I'd be able to self fund so feel so fortunate (how lucky we are to have our NHS) that they are willing to let me try the Libre. It takes a while for me to get my head around new things I suppose mainly because I get anxious so you sharing your experiences has been so helpful

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There's no way I'd be able to self fund so feel so fortunate (how lucky we are to have our NHS) that they are willing to let me try the Libre. It takes a while for me to get my head around new things I suppose mainly because I get anxious so you sharing your experiences has been so helpful

Appreciate the apprehension. You have the possibility with a sensor to learn a little more regarding how your meds & diatary choice compliment your condition?

Best wishes..

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello again MV.

Thank you for your reply - you are most welcome. Our great NHS has been a life saver to me and I think that they deserve a good bonus for their dedication over this Covid 19.

I would also recommend that you take a good look at the Low Carb High Fat programme from Diabetes UK.

Have a nice day.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Good morning Nutribolt,
That link that you gave is excellent - but for someone like me (80 this year) it is way over my head. My phone makes phone calls and text messages and for me that is VERY SMART - nobody can "hack" into it and I don't have to pay for data.

Libre type 1was as far as I needed to go at the time and now I am content with morning fasting blood sugar testing - it costs me nothing. My Doctor also said that "too much information" can only cause you to worry - so why worry? Relax and get to understand what your "body" is telling you.

For those who are a bit younger, and need these new gagets, and can afford them, enjoy your gagets. For me, as long as my FBS are kept within the reasonable range of 4.3 and 6.9 I will content myself with spending my few remaining years doing things which I enjoy and let the rest of the world give themselves stomach ulcers worrying over things which they cannot control - I will still of course offer my advice when I think that I can contribute something.

Enjoy your day.

Reactions: nutribolt