Thread for screen shots of LibreLink readings?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
We discuss the results of using Freestyle Libre quite a bit, but I don't think that there is one place where there are loads of annotated screen shots showing LibreLink (or other) traces.

Does the forum think that this might be a good idea?
On the lines of the "what did you eat" and "fasting BG" threads.

I would find it useful to see how others react over 24 hours, especially overnight for other T2s on diet and exercise.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We discuss the results of using Freestyle Libre quite a bit, but I don't think that there is one place where there are loads of annotated screen shots showing LibreLink (or other) traces.

I would find it useful to see how others react over 24 hours, especially overnight for other T2s on diet and exercise.
Good idea. I am also interested to see overnight and post meal readings. Its hard for me to catch my peaks even after burning so many strips a day, so unpredictable!

Reactions: Trio1

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not so sure. I've only been using one for 10 days now and every days graph is so different. Theres no way anyone could glean anything from mine. Even I can't see any pattern, and I know what I've eaten and what exercise, but you couldn't deduce that from my graph

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is very different each day. As for patterns, I do learn how much certain types of food affect the graph when your getting in to a routine. So it is useful for that. Are you all hitting your targets & if not which ones you struggle on? Mines the 3-3.9% at the moment. Hard to keep that under 4%

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not so sure. I've only been using one for 10 days now and every days graph is so different. Theres no way anyone could glean anything from mine. Even I can't see any pattern, and I know what I've eaten and what exercise, but you couldn't deduce that from my graph
Have you downloaded the LibreView app? That has some useful presentation of the data.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

People (including myself) have, over the years posted many screenshots of their Libre readers here on the forum, but the Librelink is a fairly new thing in comparison.

My concern would be that people would do what they always do, which is immediately compare themselves with everyone else, and feel that they came up short. This would be made worse by the fact that it is a very human tendency to only show the screenshots that are 'good', which would then increase other people's feelings of inadequacy. This is why I never post on the FBG threads, because I feel that people with higher readings are put off (my own FBG tests are usually the highest readings I get during the day, which frustrates me). And it is why I happily post on the Low Carb What Did You Eat Thread, because numbers are rarely mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanderer89

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

Agreed.

Here is mine after having weetabix for breakfast. Four units of insulin as a starter :)

Considering my average is 6.1mmol it's quite noticeable. Slight headache, feeling hot and tired. It'll pass but jeez!

Mind you, being diagnosed late Jan my levels were 25mmol (and way above judging by the symptoms before I started treatment).

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed.

Here is mine after having weetabix for breakfast. Four units of insulin as a starter :)

Considering my average is 6.1mmol it's quite noticeable. Slight headache, feeling hot and tired. It'll pass but jeez!

Mind you, being diagnosed late Jan my levels were 25mmol (and way above judging by the symptoms before I started treatment).

So you had your weetabix at 8am??, and at 9 it had gone up to 10, seems normal? I think the problem with showing this info as the OP mentioned, is that we'd need the rest of it, ie, how long it took to come down and what was it's peak, etc. Otherwise all we are seeing is that weetabix et al, sends the levels up after an hour. I guess it might be more interesting for type 2s not on medication but for insulin users the results would be all about the amount of insulin used.

Reactions: Carl40

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
So you had your weetabix at 8am??, and at 9 it had gone up to 10, seems normal? I think the problem with showing this info as the OP mentioned, is that we'd need the rest of it, ie, how long it took to come down and what was it's peak, etc. Otherwise all we are seeing is that weetabix et al, sends the levels up after an hour. I guess it might be more interesting for type 2s not on medication but for insulin users the results would be all about the amount of insulin used.

Thanks KK.

Problem for me is being new to this is knowing what normal looks like and adjusting my regime accordingly.

As it happens its now peaked and down to 7.2 which is ok after two hours.

For me though that is way more than I get when I have wholemeal toast for breakfast so I know the difference. Finger prick regime would not have shown me that.

I've got some training sessions coming up on this but I'd have thought that taking an extra couple of units when having weetabix as opposed to toast will prevent it going as high but I'm not sure if that's the right play given it returning to more or less average after two hours.

All stuff to learn but it gives, in my view, a dataset from which to work - either here or when I'm in the training sessions or talking with my nurse or GP.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks KK.

Problem for me is being new to this is knowing what normal looks like and adjusting my regime accordingly.

For me though that is way more than I get when I have wholemeal toast for breakfast so I know the difference. Finger prick regime would not have shown me that.

I've got some training sessions coming up on this but I'd have thought that taking an extra couple of units when having weetabix as opposed to toast will prevent it going as high but I'm not sure if that's the right play given it returning to more or less average after two hours.

All stuff to learn but it gives, in my view, a dataset from which to work - either here or when I'm in the training sessions or talking with my nurse or GP.

Hi Carl, yes, I absolutely agree the libre is great, especially when showing us what each food group does to our levels, ie how quickly they rise and how fast (or not) they come down, etc. It helps us decide how much insulin we might need to take when we have it again for example. When exercise comes into the equation it can be all bets off as (for me) it has me plummeting. You are so right, a finger prick test tells us NOTHING apart from what our levels are right at that time. Again, it's trial and error and your weetabix v insulin was spot on! You could have extra insulin to avoid a food peaking too high (not that 10 is too high anyway) but for us, the 2 hour measurement is not an absolute must as our insulin works over a period of 4/5 hours so is still working AFTER the 2 hours, if you use more insulin at the start the peak may be less but be careful of hypos around hours 3,4,5 etc. x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Agreed.

This perhaps helps to illustrate my point, at least from my personal perspective.
I often have a very similar profile over night, except the climb is often before I've even had my morning (coffee+butter+cream).
It would be very helpful to me personally to see how others react over night.

Reactions: Carl40

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This perhaps helps to illustrate my point, at least from my personal perspective.
I often have a very similar profile over night, except the climb is often before I've even had my morning (coffee+butter+cream).
Is this any use? I have set the times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't have anything to eat or drink before breakfast. I don't know what the median goal is for.
Libre Summary.png

Reactions: Ronancastled

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Carl, yes, I absolutely agree the libre is great, especially when showing us what each food group does to our levels, ie how quickly they rise and how fast (or not) they come down, etc. It helps us decide how much insulin we might need to take when we have it again for example. When exercise comes into the equation it can be all bets off as (for me) it has me plummeting. You are so right, a finger prick test tells us NOTHING apart from what our levels are right at that time. Again, it's trial and error and your weetabix v insulin was spot on! You could have extra insulin to avoid a food peaking too high (not that 10 is too high anyway) but for us, the 2 hour measurement is not an absolute must as our insulin works over a period of 4/5 hours so is still working AFTER the 2 hours, if you use more insulin at the start the peak may be less but be careful of hypos around hours 3,4,5 etc. x

I know they expensive but am thinking that the NHS should be providing these to more people. They give such a great understanding of our individual circumstances that it can do nothing but save money in the long run - as well as improving our quality of life.

Returned to an average level after that time only to rinse and repeat for lunch :) I think sharing these is a great conversation starter and helps people learn how others are dealing with their condition...

Reactions: KK123

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

I sometimes get that too, not to the same level as having eaten but a very pronounced rise on some days.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks KK.

Hi, if you've returned to the premeal level without extra insulin/exercise etc then I'd suggest the timing of your insulin would be the thing to play with to avoid the spike. Having said that, it is ridiculously hard to avoid any spikes! If you add extra insulin then it might make you hypo 2 hrs later, rather than returning to your premeal levels. Many of us find we need to inject a bit earlier ahead of eating on certain days (eg if I haven't been active) or with certain meals, so maybe chat to your diabetes team about this. I just didn't want you to risk having a hypo if you're returning to premeal levels ok on your current dose.

Reactions: JustLucky

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you downloaded the LibreView app? That has some useful presentation of the data.
I have an app called librelink. I cantt find an app called Librevew. I'm on libre 2 and use samsung/android.
My free trial ends in 2 days, and don't think I'll continue.
Invaluable for t1s but too expensive and flaky for continually use for me a t2

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an app called librelink. I cantt find an app called Librevew. I'm on libre 2 and use samsung/android.
My free trial ends in 2 days, and don't think I'll continue.
Invaluable for t1s but too expensive and flaky for continually use for me a t2
https://www.libreview.com
You have to sign in with same email and password as LibreLink and the data will automatically be transferred. There are 2 square icons at the top left hand corner of the screen, select the right hand one and you will be able to get several views of your data.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's another view of data that Libreview provides. This shows my AGP - Ambulatory Glucose Profile for 14 days. It shows that I tend to go low in the early morning before I get up and I also tend to go a bit high after my tea as well as having a short spike after breakfast.. I've been reducing my long acting insulin and am improving on the night time lowish trend.
Mr_Pot is doing much better than I am as his graph is much flatter!
upload_2021-3-24_20-54-29.png

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's another view of data that Libreview provides. This shows my AGP - Ambulatory Glucose Profile for 14 days. It shows that I tend to go low in the early morning before I get up and I also tend to go a bit high after my tea as well as having a short spike after breakfast.. I've been reducing my long acting insulin and am improving on the night time lowish trend.
Mr_Pot is doing much better than I am as his graph is much flatter!
View attachment 48316
I don't have the complexity of insulin to contend with, I just need to keep an eye on my diet so it's not a fair comparison.