Gutted

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@woollygal, I wouldn’t get wound up about not hearing back from the Dr as in my personal experience they are useless anyway! Let’s be honest though, what are you really wanting her to say to you? Your already doing probably exactly what she would tell you to do & again being honest it had worked because your A1C has lowered.

Like i & a few others have said, without a Libre or some sort of CGM your not going to be able to see what your BG is doing at all times. You could be spiking straight after meals or during the night but coming down to normal range by the time you check again.

I’d give your self a break, your doing well.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@woollygal apologies if you’ve already mentioned this but have you thought about trying the free Libre2 two week trial to see if you can find a trend?

Reactions: oldgreymare

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks everyone and sorry for my diva fit last night.
I really just had reached the end of me tether.

i know this is all for my benefit and it’s me that will suffer but unless I get to speak to dr and persuade her to give me the tests for lada I could possibly be doing more damage.
And yes that’s very hypocritical given I’ve been eating chocolate the past couple days (which could also explain the mood swing).
I’ll get back in it. I don’t feel overly well so at some point in next couple of days I’ll start again.
I’ve applied for the libre2 free trial so I’ll see if I get that. I guess getting the call from dr isn’t overly urgent as sugars haven’t behaved with keto but have still dropped.
I’m very angry with dr though. I never ask for help and when I do she shuts me down without even bothering to find out why I’m calling. So probably need to get that out of my system before I do speak to her.
I’m also very aware it’s Easter next week and if the kids are off school she tends not to work. I think that’s where my issue is.

but yes sorry for the diva ness last night

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@woollygal, I wouldn’t get wound up about not hearing back from the Dr as in my personal experience they are useless anyway! Let’s be honest though, what are you really wanting her to say to you? Your already doing probably exactly what she would tell you to do & again being honest it had worked because your A1C has lowered.

Like i & a few others have said, without a Libre or some sort of CGM your not going to be able to see what your BG is doing at all times. You could be spiking straight after meals or during the night but coming down to normal range by the time you check again.

I’d give your self a break, your doing well.
I need the dr if I want tests done though. She can’t help with the dust I agree but sadly I don’t have a choice if I want the lada test done

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@woollygal
I know you are frustrated with an apparent lack of progress through low carbing, and thee doctor's response has added to that, but were you aware how much effect stress can have on bg?
That fact really hit home to me last week. I am using a libre constant bg monitor and had a day where I ate moderately at 12 noon, then not again until 12 noon the next day so no food would have been affecting my bg. However an external stressful situation arose at 4pm, got steadily worse, peaking at 3 am then resolving. Let's just say several emergency agencies were involved. My bg graph shows those event so clearly.
Now that was an extreme example but really proved to me that even a moderate amount of underlying stress may have an effect on bg levels.

I do wonder if this is so in your case? Not prying, and not saying you can stop it overnight but anything you can be doing to reduce stress levels will help your bg. And eating low carb, of course

In the past I have used everything from yoga to meditation , counselling to chocolate! Diabetes-wise I have more or less given up on NHS, and have decided I have to do it for myself. Please don't fall off the low carb wagon just yet, or not for very long if you do really need a break. Imho you are much better being on lowcarb than off it.
I haven’t been overly stressed other than the usual since I started this time because I’ve been in lockdown. I’m not working so anxiety has been there but that’s nothing new.
The only thing possibly is that even if I exercise the majority of the time I’m sitting.
As a driving instructor I sit all day but still using slot of energy teaching etc. So maybe that but who knows.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks for the tag @Daphne917

@woollygal I don’t think there’s a definitive answer. For me, keto (and now carnivore) absolutely has been a way to non-diabetic numbers. However, it may not work for everyone. Having read the thread again, I’d agree with those who’ve suggested it’s a bit early to give up on it - you may not have the results you want, but are moving in the right direction. The links I posted above explain that HbA1c is affected by many things and for some people is out of sync with their own records.

I’d also say that if you don’t feel that the way you’ve been eating the last couple of months is sustainable, then I’d be looking for something that can be maintained, whether or not that involves medication.
Well even in my diva behaviour I still managed to order my shopping. Some naughty bits but mainly good Keto stuff.
Trying to be a bit more adventurous while still being Keto. Maybe I’ll aim for 20g rather than 10 so I can wander slightly from meat and dairy but still be strict but maybe not so arduous. Although if under 10g didn’t work I’m not convinced under 20 will

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@woollygal apologies if you’ve already mentioned this but have you thought about trying the free Libre2 two week trial to see if you can find a trend?
I’ve just applied thank you. Hopefully I’ll get one. At least if I do this I can go in armed to the dr (if I can get her to call me back). At least I’ll have some proof.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It worked. They refused the first time but I changed email and it worked.
Thank you

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It worked. They refused the first time but I changed email and it worked.
Thank you
Thanks for that. Having been refused I tried this and got accepted too having given up. Finally got my hb1ac this morning. Stuck the same as last time (and forever close to) 43. So not a bad reading by any means but stubbornly won’t go down either and neither will weight. I’m now 6kg heavier than my best post diagnosis and ketosis and I can’t get it back down.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks for that. Having been refused I tried this and got accepted too having given up. Finally got my hb1ac this morning. Stuck the same as last time (and forever close to) 43. So not a bad reading by any means but stubbornly won’t go down either and neither will weight. I’m now 6kg heavier than my best post diagnosis and ketosis and I can’t get it back down.
Really frustrating isn’t it.
Have you ever been lower than 43.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you get someone to drop off a letter to the GP and Practice Manager with specific bullet points and asking for a call back that way? Including saying how its making you feel. Hope you get listened to.

Reactions: HSSS

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Woolygal, I know how frustrated you are as I think lots of us have at sometime felt like that. Just wanted to ask how long you have had diabetes and to say that I was diagnosed in January 2018 and went low carb immediately after finding this forum. It is only since January this year 2021 that my numbers are stabilising and touch wood still o.k. My last A1C was 47 which although still isn't pre-diabetic number, it is going in the right direction. I have been really strict with myself too, so just want to say it can take a few years for some people and for some lucky ones only a few months. I don't know if you need to lose any weight but for myself I didn't need to so maybe that's why it's taken longer for me to achieve a reasonable A1c result. Anyway, don't give up and just keep plodding along and I'm sure you'll get there. Also, not sure if this is correct but I think some people say eating a few more carbs ( healthy ones) can help keep their blood sugars better, Maybe that might help, but don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Can you get someone to drop off a letter to the GP and Practice Manager with specific bullet points and asking for a call back that way? Including saying how its making you feel. Hope you get listened to.
Usually she’s good at calling back but I’m assuming she just thought I was asking about sugars.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Oh my lord even if my diabetes doesn’t respond to Keto i don’t think I have a choice. A few days of being off (ok so way off as been eating chocolate etc) and I feel rotten through to the core.
Everything I bought is going in the bin and my plan is to go back and go Keto. I may do 20g not 10 just to give me a bit more choice.
I feel like I’ve been drinking non stop for days.