Gutted

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I’ve been so strict since new year (bar 1 blip at start of jan) for last 6-7 weeks I’ve been on less than 10g a day.
And my hba1c has decreased to 53 from 58.
To say I’m annoyed is an understatement and why oh why can’t we swear on here. It really deserves a swear word.
I am gutted

all that hard work for nowt.
I was really hoping for the 40s if not in range.

apparently dr wants to speak to me though so heaven knows what’s that about

and I have Easter egg upstairs so I may just eat it. Clearly my sugars don’t care either way!! Feeling mightily peed off

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
53 is not a bad number, in the great scheme of things, and the best that you have managed so far judging by your signature.
Be nice if you knew if you were insulin resistant or under producing insulin.
Perhaps ask cor a c-peptide test?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
53 is not a bad number, in the great scheme of things, and the best that you have managed so far judging by your signature.
Be nice if you knew if you were insulin resistant or under producing insulin.
Perhaps ask cor a c-peptide test?
It may be worth asking. Being that strict and to drop just 5 points is the galling bit. I have hit 53 before and that was without this much effort. I wasn’t restricting carbs as strictly as this time.
Doesn’t really seem worth trying so hard. Sorry I am feeling very sorry for myself.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @woollygal, what are your numbers like on a day to day basis? You'd think eating 10 carbs a day would hardly raise them at all BUT we all know that diabetes does not always follow any rule book. Have you gone into ketosis? x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Time to ask for a c peptide to make sure you are actually producing enough insulin and aren’t a LADA. It might confirm type 2 but at least you’d know, particularly if the dr wants to add more medications

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi @woollygal, what are your numbers like on a day to day basis? You'd think eating 10 carbs a day would hardly raise them at all BUT we all know that diabetes does not always follow any rule book. Have you gone into ketosis? x
My numbers haven’t gone higher than 7. Very off times to an 8 but usually 6 or 7.
My true machine averaged it at 45 over a 90 day period but I’m assuming I’m missing some high figures.
I have a bit gone into ketosis I’ve had the odd 1.4 but usually I was O.4-0.7. ive list about 3-4 pounds in 3 months.
My body seems to be doing what it wants and not following anything
I’m completely cheesed off. No point in trying so hard if it’s not going to make any difference.
And that’s with meds. Can you imagine what it would be like without

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I’ve been so strict since new year (bar 1 blip at start of jan) for last 6-7 weeks I’ve been on less than 10g a day.

And my hba1c has decreased to 53 from 58.
A 5 mmol/mol decrease is better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick, I would be very happy with that result.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I agree. Time to ask for a c peptide to make sure you are actually producing enough insulin and aren’t a LADA. It might confirm type 2 but at least you’d know, particularly if the dr wants to add more medications
And Lada would be a definite for insulin wouldn’t it?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Either that or a foreign car. (Sorry).

If your insulin supply is failing and you are not very insulin resistant then LADA and T1 rules may be the way this is heading.
There are intermediate steps such as giving your Beta cells a good old chemical kicking.

As I've said before, I struggle with the LADA label and the assumption it is mis-diagnosed T1.
Given that I am struggling more each year, a honeymoon period of over 13 years seems a long time to wait.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My numbers haven’t gone higher than 7. Very off times to an 8 but usually 6 or 7.
My true machine averaged it at 45 over a 90 day period but I’m assuming I’m missing some high figures.
I have a bit gone into ketosis I’ve had the odd 1.4 but usually I was O.4-0.7. ive list about 3-4 pounds in 3 months.
My body seems to be doing what it wants and not following anything
I’m completely cheesed off. No point in trying so hard if it’s not going to make any difference.
And that’s with meds. Can you imagine what it would be like without

Don’t mean to sound horrible here, but are you sure your never going above 6/7 like you say? Are you tracking with a Libre or any sort of CGM so you can see what your BG is doing at the times your not doing a blood test?

An average reading of 6 is an estimated a1c of 35, with an average of 7 an estimated A1c of 42. Your a1c of 53 indicates an average of 8.6mmol. So realistically there’s not much difference in average Mmol levels to see a difference between in your a1c.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Either that or a foreign car. (Sorry).

If your insulin supply is failing and you are not very insulin resistant then LADA and T1 rules may be the way this is heading.
There are intermediate steps such as giving your Beta cells a good old chemical kicking.

As I've said before, I struggle with the LADA label and the assumption it is mis-diagnosed T1.
Given that I am struggling more each year, a honeymoon period of over 13 years seems a long time to wait.
I can only go on what I’ve read, as it’s not my experience, but many seem to think giving the beta cells a kicking in this situation is counterproductive, whereas preserving them with low carb/early insulin beneficial to prolonging the honeymoon. Like many things there are differing opinions and, on this, I don’t have one.

I personally don’t see LADA as a misdiagnosed type 1, more a slow onset, adult, version of type 1 that occurs within a few years of diagnosis. Perhaps others see it differently or I’m wrong.

Type 2 can still lose insulin supply over prolonged time without becoming LADA afaik. Though I can see how the two become blurred in the mid term, but I assume the type 2 retains an insulin resistance most type 1/LADA don’t have. I guess the difference can become somewhat moot as to the cause of loss of pancreatic function (assuming it’s permanent) given the treatment is much the same - insulin.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re LADA then yes at some point.

are you missing any highs? Overnight, more than 3hrs post meals for example? Do you have any blood or other issues that could be effecting hb1ac accuracy? (Fructosamine instead maybe if so)

just throwing out ideas here.

Reactions: Maco

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Don’t mean to sound horrible here, but are you sure your never going above 6/7 like you say? Are you tracking with a Libre or any sort of CGM so you can see what your BG is doing at the times your not doing a blood test?

An average reading of 6 is an estimated a1c of 35, with an average of 7 an estimated A1c of 42. Your a1c of 53 indicates an average of 8.6mmol. So realistically there’s not much difference in average Mmol levels to see a difference between in your a1c.
Well unless it’s happening when I’m sleeping I don’t know. I’m sleeping better than I have since diagnosis during this lockdown and so I don’t think so.
I can’t really afford a libre to be honest.,

even so given how low I’ve been with carbs I don’t know how I would go higher.

my diet was

(if I had breakfast) bacon and egg fried in butter (I’d removed the tomato so zero carbs
For last 6 weeks I’d done intermittent fasting so didn’t have breakfast and so I might have gulp of cream
lunch chicken Keto soup at the most 2 carbs and that’s me pushing that as it’s probably less but I didn’t weigh onion

diet doctor keto fudge (maybe 1 g)

pork chop/steak/gammon fried eggs and big mushroom stuffed with cheese. Occasionally I’d have couple of sausages with it if I was hungry but they are only 1.6 for the two

of I had them 1 or 2 hot choc which are 3.9 each

that was it for 2 months

For jan I had same but one meal would be higher so I’d have my jar of butter chicken or stir fry and they would take me up to 40 at the very highest

So for the last 2 months I have no idea how I could have higher sugars.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

are you missing any highs? Overnight, more than 3hrs post meals for example? Do you have any blood or other issues that could be effecting hb1ac accuracy? (Fructosamine instead maybe if so)

Not that I know of.
But I’m guessing I’ve never been tested. No idea what the fructosamine is.
I can’t lose weight which i guess is something but then why can’t I lose weight either!
Again, why can’t we swear

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Would the c peptide and type 1 tests be blood tests?
I’m asking for a call From dr tomorrow so what exact tests do I need to ask for?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive me if I've missed this or if it's not even a thing.
What has your weight done over this period, in that, do you have any reserves of "carbs" that are been utilised?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Forgive me if I've missed this or if it's not even a thing.
What has your weight done over this period, in that, do you have any reserves of "carbs" that are been utilised?
I’ve lost about 4 pounds (well my Easter egg out on a pound last night )
It doesn’t really move much to be honest,

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m asking for a call From dr tomorrow so what exact tests do I need to ask for?
The c peptide is a blood test that measures a substance produced alongside insulin (which is why it can be done on those who inject insulin and still identify natural production levels as opposed to injected ones). You could measure insulin instead but the cpeptide seems more common. It’s worth asking for the full blood panel including iron and specifically ferritin (iron stores rather than the iron floating around) to eliminate the issues that mess up hb1ac such as anemia. The fructosamine test is an alternative to hb1ac that doesn’t rely on estimating red blood cell lifespan/quantity/quality so avoids inaccuracy if those issues are relevant. I think it’s a shorter average, a few weeks, and is used more often in pregnant women (I’m guessing because iron is a common issue in pregnancy). Re the lack of weight loss, a thyroid check if it’s not been done before or recently is something I’d ask for just in case.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The C-Peptide can be either a blood or urine test. Both need some rules for what you eat or not a few hours before and each lab uses a different set of rules. I've yet to find anything that says one is better than the other but my consultant has just used both. The first blood test got lost into the ether so he's ordered a urine text this time (why?) and I await the result.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The c peptide is a blood test that measures a substance produced alongside insulin (which is why it can be done on those who inject insulin and still identify natural production levels as opposed to injected ones). You could measure insulin instead but the cpeptide seems more common. It’s worth asking for the full blood panel including iron and specifically ferritin (iron stores rather than the iron floating around) to eliminate the issues that mess up hb1ac such as anemia. The fructosamine test is an alternative to hb1ac that doesn’t rely on estimating red blood cell lifespan/quantity/quality so avoids inaccuracy if those issues are relevant. I think it’s a shorter average, a few weeks, and is used more often in pregnant women (I’m guessing because iron is a common issue in pregnancy). Re the lack of weight loss, a thyroid check if it’s not been done before or recently is something I’d ask for just in case.
I think from memory the dr did a thyroid check last year but I can’t remember, I’ll defo ask for the c peptide. I must have a strong case, for that level of restriction and barely a response can’t be normal even for type 2. I know everyone’s diabetes is different but keto is supposed to be the wonder cure. (Well wonder for sugars dropping)

Would be interesting to know if keto had failed for other type 2s as well. You only hear of it always being an huge success.