Medtronic 780G, new pump user!

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Quick update after completing training today.

1. 780G is very easy to navigate, easy set up. Simple enough to enter your settings & the quick basal option is fast + simple like it says really.

2. Accu check guide link isn’t the fastest at sending over your readings to the pump & you do have to confirm the reading on your pump. Anyone that complains is just nitpicking though as the process is really simple.

3. Minimed mobile app can be a nightmare, it easily pairs with your pump. After that my app kept saying ‘reconnecting with pump’ then I would get a message saying it couldn’t pair. I found if you close all your other apps that are running in the back ground it seems to pair & connect. Also you can’t close the app AT ALL, soon as you close it from running in the background it’ll completely restart the app back to first start up and delete the pairing with the pump. So leave it running at all times.

4. This one only really applies to people in the UK as that’s where I’m based so unsure of other protocols. If when your training is due the worlds still a mess & you have to do it via zoom then maybe request a 1-1 training session. My group consisted of me & 3 others, one my age (26) one In his 40’s and another probably mid 60’s. Unfortunately the man in his 60’s wasn’t up to speed with technology at all so setting up the pump via a zoom call wasn’t easy for him. What would of been at the most a 1hr chat turned into the full 3hrs scheduled & became a bit of a drag.

Due to it taking so long we had to schedule in another appointment in a weeks time to go through fitting & setting up the CGM so for now I’m stuck with finger testing. Just my luck my last Libre sensor ran out today and my prescription is delayed. I was due to go into automode next Thursday, but now next week is CGM set up and 2 weeks today automode.

All in all I’m really happy, today’s control has been pretty good since I fitted the pump & im expecting impressive results when I’m automode. I’ll keep you all updated when I’ve been using it longer.

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very sweet! I won't be getting my 770 for a few more months. When Health Canada approves the 780 I will get updated automatically.It is so nice to be able to talk to other people to see how it works. Thankyou!

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you have got started on the 780g, just a quick question can you not use contour next 2.4 glucose meter or does that no longer connect directly to the pump, hope it all goes well for you, by the way not all over 60s are not good with technology, let us know how you get on in auto mode.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glad you have got started on the 780g, just a quick question can you not use contour next 2.4 glucose meter or does that no longer connect directly to the pump, hope it all goes well for you, by the way not all over 60s are not good with technology, let us know how you get on in auto mode.

You can still use the contour but you’d need to manually enter your Blood sugar, it doesn’t connect with the pump.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a shame, it is one thing I have always liked about the 640g and the veo that you could do a blood test and it would automatically send it to the pump. As I will shortly be going on to enlite sensors instead of the libre sensors I hope the 640g will still allow reading automatically from the contour link, still I suppose it is a small price to pay to have a 780g pump with auto mode and I beleive medtronic will be having a new sensor soon that will only need one blood test to start the sensor and will not need all the recalibrations, it is all so much better than when I became a diabetic and the needles were 3+centimetre long and you kept them soaking in industrial spirit and I was told to sharpen the needles if they become blunt and then there was the urine tests and that was in the UK

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's a shame, it is one thing I have always liked about the 640g and the veo that you could do a blood test and it would automatically send it to the pump. As I will shortly be going on to enlite sensors instead of the libre sensors I hope the 640g will still allow reading automatically from the contour link, still I suppose it is a small price to pay to have a 780g pump with auto mode and I beleive medtronic will be having a new sensor soon that will only need one blood test to start the sensor and will not need all the recalibrations, it is all so much better than when I became a diabetic and the needles were 3+centimetre long and you kept them soaking in industrial spirit and I was told to sharpen the needles if they become blunt and then there was the urine tests and that was in the UK

The 780g comes with a Accu check guide link, it still sends your results over automatically or if you prefer a different meter you can just add the results manually. Can I ask why you'll be using the enlite sensor & not the guardian 3 sensor? Ive got funding for the guardian 3 cgm, that needs a calibration every 12 hrs. The zeus cgm will only need 1 on start up I believe & I'm sure its expected to be released in Europe this year.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No such luck here thats what they are offering me, we will have to wait a while here before we all get the 780g plus the cgmg,s I dont mind waiting, don't get me wrong I think it is great that everybody is getting the 780g with cgm it is certainly a great improvement from when I was in the UK and only a few got pumps with cgm,s, I am sure all diabetics in the UK will be pleased

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 780g comes with a Accu check guide link, it still sends your results over automatically or if you prefer a different meter you can just add the results manually. Can I ask why you'll be using the enlite sensor & not the guardian 3 sensor? Ive got funding for the guardian 3 cgm, that needs a calibration every 12 hrs. The zeus cgm will only need 1 on start up I believe & I'm sure its expected to be released in Europe this year.
YES, managing diabetes is so much easier now. I have been a type 1 for 35 years and when I got my first glucometer it took 2 minutes. You had to wipe the blood off of the strip and put it in the meter. The blood didn't spread on the strip like it does now. Insulins have gotten better. Cgms make diabetes a real gamechanger!

Reactions: JudyLee

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No such luck here thats what they are offering me, we will have to wait a while here before we all get the 780g plus the cgmg,s I dont mind waiting, don't get me wrong I think it is great that everybody is getting the 780g with cgm it is certainly a great improvement from when I was in the UK and only a few got pumps with cgm,s, I am sure all diabetics in the UK will be pleased
I'm in the uk, and when I asked last year very few people at my clinic get cgm's. Can't remember the numbers, but certainly not many. A friend has been self funding Dexcom for a number of years, and was recently refused funding yet again, as her control was too good.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm in the uk, and when I asked last year very few people at my clinic get cgm's. Can't remember the numbers, but certainly not many. A friend has been self funding Dexcom for a number of years, and was recently refused funding yet again, as her control was too good.

That’s a shame. County Durham & Darlington CCG have always been on the ball with CGM. From what I can remember they where one of the first clinics to have Libre trials.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It does seem if you work very hard and control your diabetes and we all know it can be hard work, you are less likely to get the best equipment to help you, still its nice at least some get the help they need,

Last edited:

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It does seem if you work very hard and control your diabetes and we all know it can be hard work, you are less likely to get the best equipment to help you, still its nice at least some get the help they need,

Yep, unfortunately I’ve got to agree there.

james555

Hi maco just wondering could you say after 3 months what's your overall view on your 780g medtronic pump is it the best pump you ever had many thanks

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi maco just wondering could you say after 3 months what's your overall view on your 780g medtronic pump is it the best pump you ever had many thanks

Personally, it’s the best diabetic technology out there at the minute. My time in range is nearly always 100%, if it’s not at 100% it’s atleast 90/95% but that’s only for a small time. A1c has come down to 45 from 83 which speaks for itself really

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,would like to ask for advice/ guidance on the Medtronic780G pump plus the additional sensors .
I’ve been a Type 1 for just on 60 yrs now at 82 yrs I’ve been told I may be offered a 780G pump ,but informed that I would have to pay about £1000+ for additional beneficial sensors ,so ,Help , So is it worth all the Effort and do the extra ,beneficial sensors help in my control ,are they worth the extra cost ? Is there any reading that I should look at ?
Many thanks ,I’m quite nervous about it all ,
Thanks Wjo

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ,would like to ask for advice/ guidance on the Medtronic780G pump plus the additional sensors .
I’ve been a Type 1 for just on 60 yrs now at 82 yrs I’ve been told I may be offered a 780G pump ,but informed that I would have to pay about £1000+ for additional beneficial sensors ,so ,Help , So is it worth all the Effort and do the extra ,beneficial sensors help in my control ,are they worth the extra cost ? Is there any reading that I should look at ?
Many thanks ,I’m quite nervous about it all ,
Thanks Wjo

Hi Wjo,

If I’m brutally honest the 780G without the sensors is a complete waste of time. So to answer your question if they won’t fund the sensors & your only option is to pay for them then yeah 100% pay for them.

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Wjo,

If I’m brutally honest the 780G without the sensors is a complete waste of time. So to answer your question if they won’t fund the sensors & your only option is to pay for them then yeah 100% pay for them.