Does a high basal requirement suggest insulin resistance??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly. But it can also be simply the amount you need.
I've heard children can have relatively high basal requirements without anything to suggest insulin resistance.

From your other thread I understand you need 10 to 15 units of basal, is that right? That is not a high dose for a T1 by any measurement, as far as I know it's lower than most.

May I ask why it matters? To my thinking the right dose is the one keeping you healthy. I don't really care if others need 2 units or 200 units of basal, as long as my 96 units work for me, I'm happy with my dose :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you

Hello again. Hopefully you managed to get some more insulin after you ran out the other day. I am so glad to see you posting. I was really worried about you.

Insulin resistance is a bit of a hard thing to define (how long is a piece of string?), as there's just so much variation on how much people need. So if you are on a couple of hundred units of insulin a day then you are presumably insulin resistant, while if you are on 15 you are not? As a slightly overweight T1 with a T2 dad and a bolus ration of 1 unit to 3g of carbs, I reckon I am insulin resistant, but my endocrinologist doesn't, and I'm only on 15 units of basal a day. But I still find that low carbing and exercise reduce my insulin requirements...

You are probably/possibly still producing some of your own insulin, so it would be very hard to say whether you are insulin resistant, anyway. (Though I realise you may not be asking about your own case, as your question was general.)

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as you can live life and have good control on your diabetes it doesn't matter your requirements of insulin. 1 unit of insulin basal/bolus can make me hypo or hyper.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It seems to be common practise to treat type 2s with basal, if they NEED insulin. Although I too need a bolus occasionally which could be when my c-peptide result is in the 700s. Lately in 1000+ I feel is because I've allowed my liver free reign. No early intervention from liver dumps.
The liver processes sugars and fats. Good fats are the livers best friend but sugars aren't. Well for type2s.
So if you need a long lasting backbone of insulin (basal) make sure it's with metformin or natural blocks from your liver dumping throughout the day, and night.
Insulin resistance is worst at breakfast time. Why? Because the liver, if impeded, it can slow your whole digestive process and intail your whole metabolism. Many of us eat some sort of breakfast. Or should. But many find fasting can restart their metabolism too.
Basal insulin is helping me and no I haven't given up on Metformin as my saving grace but it just wasn't enough and with horrendous side effects on my most common measure over 20+ yrs. I've been forced to reduce it once again but now finding it's most likely from sludge in gallbladder neck. So once pain and gallbladder no more in the future I will concentrate more on my liver's needs to stay healthy. A healthier metabolism. :) :) :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My basal is about 32 units a day I say about as my pump will give more if needed

When I first started insulin within a month I was on 28 units basal so in 10 years my needs have not really changed so I assume that is just what I need.. if that was to start increasing along with larger amounts of bolus I would consider insulin resistance

For comparison my dad who is insulin resistant has over 100 units a day and his bolus is also very large

Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's a high basal?
There are so many things that affect our insulin needs that high to one person could be low to another. For example, high for a very athletic, slim child would be lower than the basal for a tall slightly overweight adult with a sedentary job. That doesn't mean either have insulin resistance.
It has been said many times that the right amount of insulin for you is the amount that keeps your blood sugars in range most of the time. There is no point comparing. For that reason, I rarely mention my dose.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The basal is what it is. When it's right during fasting it may deviate slightly through the day due to liver dumps, changes in insulin sensitivity, injection site chosen & wot not.
I tend not to need much to treat a basal low if it occurs. 5/ maybe 10g? Same with a correction dose of novorapid the odd single unit does it.

@Grumpy Porridge , get the basal within acceptable reason for you. Then look at how you dose for your meals.
Or you will be chasing your tail, nailing jelly to a wall?

Best wishes..