albuminaria ?

fendertele

One of my big signs something was wrong or getting worse was that I was bloating up all over face,stomach and my legs/angles were like tree trunks... i still have signs of broken blood vessels now because of it.

This led me to go to the Doc and was diagnosed with type 2 but along with that i mentioned the frequent urination issue and they tested my urine as told me they found protein in it. I knew something had been wrong with my urine for a little while as it was always dark almost orange looking.

I've now been on my LCHF diet for 2 months but despite the weight loss i still get those water retention symptoms and constantly urinating and its still dark orange i'm due to give my next urine sample this week.

If there is still protein found does this mean there is possibly a bigger issue at play ? Is this normal with all diabetics to have this in their urine ?

Is it serious ?

fendertele

Focus your diet on slow-carb, low-protein, and low-sugar foods. Damaged kidneys cannot process proteins normally, so give your kidneys time to rest by reducing your protein intake. You should eat foods that compromise of slow carbohydrates (where your glucose levels don't spike), low amounts of protein, fat, sodium and sugar. Here are some healthy options:
  • Slow carbohydrate foods: porridge oats, beans, brown rice, pasta, lentils, carrots, sweet potatoes, and asparagus.[3]
  • Low protein food: bread and cereals, pasta, lettuce, celery, sprouts, cucumber, parsley, tofu, fish and lean meats.[4]
  • Low fat and low sodium foods: eat nothing fried (use olive oil if need be) and skip the salt. Avoid canned products such as soup, vegetable, and pasta sauces.[5]
  • Low sugar foods: eggs, kidney beans, tofu, walnuts, cottage cheese, olives, spinach, turnips, asparagus, barley,
    • Also, avoid binge eating instead eat small frequent meals. These will help your kidney not to overwork and strain itself from filtering all the waste products.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
above advice for controlling this kinda messes with my diet for controlling my diabetes though ?

I'm sure some expert T2s will be along soon but I'd still be watching the overall carbs as well as the proteins. I guess it will allow you to lose some more weight if you limit protein as well.

Have you got a blood testing meter? An initial hba1c of 52 is relatively low on the T2 scale so you can possibly up your carbs slightly and use the meter to tell whether you've overdone it, but you have to be careful because if your blood sugar goes too high (above 10) then sugar passes into your urine and that damages your kidneys. Personally, I'd still go very light on the grains, pasta, rice, potatoes. Looks like there are still plenty of non carby items on that list.

Albuminaria can be a sign of early kidney disease which is why they will be repeating the test. But I've had quite a few positive ones just caused by a urinary tract infection, so it does not necessarily mean that you have kidney disease.

Good luck. I hope your doctor gets to the bottom of your symptoms.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
One of my big signs something was wrong or getting worse was that I was bloating up all over face,stomach and my legs/angles were like tree trunks... i still have signs of broken blood vessels now because of it.

This led me to go to the Doc and was diagnosed with type 2 but along with that i mentioned the frequent urination issue and they tested my urine as told me they found protein in it. I knew something had been wrong with my urine for a little while as it was always dark almost orange looking.

I've now been on my LCHF diet for 2 months but despite the weight loss i still get those water retention symptoms and constantly urinating and its still dark orange i'm due to give my next urine sample this week.

If there is still protein found does this mean there is possibly a bigger issue at play ? Is this normal with all diabetics to have this in their urine ?

Is it serious ?
Just to allay your very understandable fears - I first showed signs of proteinurea in 1973. 40 years later I had a kidney transplant. Treatment for slowing kidney disease has improved considerably since then, and likewise for diabetes. There is some very wise advice above, but be careful even with fish. This site might help: https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/56112Pphosphate.pdf
But before you start punishing yourself, see whether you are at such a stage. I went for 27 years without going on a low protein (especially phosphate) diet. Good blood sugar control plays a key part as well. I wish you the best of luck