Standalone watch for Libre 2?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Has anyone discovered a standalone watch that can link with the Libre 2? It seems that those of us who use the Libre are gradually bing moved to the Libre 2 and having set up a system with the watlaa and a Libre 1 that works well I see not having a similar system in place with a Libre 2 as a retrograde step.
I wonder, too, if those of us who already have the ability to get alarms and calibrate with the Libre 1 will be able to choose to continue with Libre 1.
Does anyone one have any information they can share about this?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you use your Watlaa with MiaoMiao or with Bubble?
According to the Watlaa website it will work with Bubble but not MiaoMiao.
https://watlaa.com/w1/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use it with a misomiao so will look into bubble.
Please let us know what happens!
For now I've decided not to go with the Watlaa. It sounded perfect for my needs until I found out you can't swim with it. I'm also not too keen on having a device on top of my sensor, especially when it may need charging during the life of a sensor as this means a simple patch over both devices won't work.

I may eventually wrap my head around getting my numbers on a watch through smartphone, but at the moment all the technical parts for that sound like gibberish to me (patched apps, testflight, wut?), and that won't work while swimming either so at the moment I simply use my Libre as intended by the manufacturer. As soon as Watlaa comes out with a waterproof watch I'll have one though!

TimLibre

In the Netherlands the libre 1 has been conpletely replaced by Libre 2. You’ll be able to have high/low alarms on your phone by bluetooth, but not the actual bg level. The Libre 3 will have the function to also stream your bg level to a smartwatch or phone without scanning, but this makes it a continous bg meter instead of a flash glucose system. In the Netherlands the rules to get refunding for cgm’s are stricter than for fgm. Therefore I’ve been told that Abbott is not sure if it will release the libre 3 in the Netherlands or even in Europe:(

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the Netherlands the libre 1 has been conpletely replaced by Libre 2. You’ll be able to have high/low alarms on your phone by bluetooth, but not the actual bg level.
You can with 3rd party apps, as Fairygodmother has done with Libre 1 and MiaoMiao. :)
For Libre2 you don't need an add on like MM or Bubble to have your numbers continuously displayed on your phone, you can do so with an app (of which I don't know the exact details).

Reactions: TimLibre

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can with 3rd party apps, as Fairygodmother has done with Libre 1 and MiaoMiao. :)
For Libre2 you don't need an add on like MM or Bubble to have your numbers continuously displayed on your phone, you can do so with an app (of which I don't know the exact details).
Agreed, I'm not very techy, but have found DiaBox really easy to use, it will receive updated readings from my libre 2 sensor every minute without having to scan. You can choose to have these displayed on your phone as a widget, or on your lock screen (it's really discrete) and makes the Libre 2 act like a CGM in my opinion. Way better alarm options too. I use it with Libre View to be able to log notes on there as diabox doesn't have this option.

Reactions: TimLibre

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone discovered a standalone watch that can link with the Libre 2? It seems that those of us who use the Libre are gradually bing moved to the Libre 2 and having set up a system with the watlaa and a Libre 1 that works well I see not having a similar system in place with a Libre 2 as a retrograde step.
I wonder, too, if those of us who already have the ability to get alarms and calibrate with the Libre 1 will be able to choose to continue with Libre 1.
Does anyone one have any information they can share about this?

Hi FG,

I think you know I have the same dilema with the same setup as you. I've tried updating the firmware on the MM2 but to no avail. I'm still looking at a workaround & even Watlaa haven't caught up with their firmware.

The new firmware for the MM2 does however work with xDrip on my phone. So I don't see what the issue is.
The watch sees the Miaomiao. Just won't doe the data from the L2.

Agreed, I'm not very techy, but have found DiaBox really easy to use, it will receive updated readings from my libre 2 sensor every minute without having to scan. You can choose to have these displayed on your phone as a widget, or on your lock screen (it's really discrete) and makes the Libre 2 act like a CGM in my opinion. Way better alarm options too. I use it with Libre View to be able to log notes on there as diabox doesn't have this option.

Hi,

Yep, Diabox is a great app. Lol, I've used it in tandem with Xdrip on my phone.

I just have no wish to ditch the watch? It was gift from my wife..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed, I'm not very techy, but have found DiaBox really easy to use
I'm in the Facebook group on Diabox, and I get completely overwhelmed with all the technical stuff when I try to understand what I need to do to get that working. Do you use android or apple? If android, would you mind helping me out step by step in about 3 weeks when I start my first Libre2?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone, lots of information. I’m not very tech with all the apps and I really don’t want to have to cart my phone around all the time so I’ll probably try to keep going with Libre 1 for as long as I can.
It would be great @Antje77 if watlaa brought out a waterproof version soon.
The data’s essential @Jaylee. Watlaa say they’re in development stage for working with Libre 2.
I think Apple have a phone that will work with Libre2, and that’s waterproof, but it needs charging more often that the watlaa and it’s a fair bit more expensive.
Have you installed Diabox on your phone @UK T1? Which phone? If you use an Apple then maybe it’d work on anAppke phone too. Maybe it’d work on other smart phones. I’ll have to do a google.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve just had a google and it looks to my swift gaze as though the only way to link a Libre 2 with a watlaa is through a bubble. Maybe I’d better order one now. @Antje77, you may have given the solution in your first post. Thank you.

TimLibre

Thanks. So i just managed to install testflight app. And then the Diabox app. But no clue what to do next as the app doesnt seem to see the sensor. If anyone here knows how to set up the diabox app, it would be appreciated. If not, i’ll wait for the fb group to accept me as a member.
Btw i havent bought a ‘bubble’ device or what they call it, but an just using the libre 2.
Would be interesting to have continous values on my phone or even on a apple watch. Theyve been promising for like 15 years something like that would come out.

Reactions: Antje77

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Glad to have been of help, especially in light of all my derailing afterwards :)
Sorry about that!
What derailing? It was all relevant to my skipetty-hopping brain.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just had a google and it looks to my swift gaze as though the only way to link a Libre 2 with a watlaa is through a bubble. Maybe I’d better order one now. @Antje77, you may have given the solution in your first post. Thank you.

That's basically the route I'm looking at with the Bubble & the Watlaa.
I don't wear the watch to work, I have a history of wrecking watches. But I do on the days off. Oh, & gigs.

So slipping a Bluetooth bridge on an arm band too is fine by me..
I'm wearing an L2 now. But have been reverting back to the L1s same difference with the MM. Only they work with the watch.

But I've recently been granted NHS funding.. (Litterally ordered the first two on script last Sunday.)
Apparently, all you need to tell your endo regarding job description & how inapropriate it is to "lett blood," is mention you are up to yer elbows in grease, swarf, mud or chicken carcasses & it's a thumbs up.?

What derailing? It was all relevant to my skipetty-hopping brain.

I see a friendly supportive chat sorting the tech side of diabetes managment.

If the CGM monitor isn't technically broke. (In this case a Watlaa one.) let's find a workaround. :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the risk of taking this away from discussion of Libre2 and watches, does anyone know how much longer Abbott plan to continue the manufacture of Libre 1? I hate the thought of dumping a system that works really well and isn’t broken (yet - have to add that yet as a small homage to a fear of overconfidence in tech lifespan).

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the risk of taking this away from discussion of Libre2 and watches, does anyone know how much longer Abbott plan to continue the manufacture of Libre 1? I hate the thought of dumping a system that works really well and isn’t broken (yet - have to add that yet as a small homage to a fear of overconfidence in tech lifespan).
Like you I have a system that works and for me a Libre 2 would be a retrograde step so I asked my GP to change me back to Libre 1for the time being. I’d heard that it'll be made for quite a while yet but of course getting confirmation isn’t easy. I can see myself changing when Libre 3 with its CGM capabilities is available but would think realistically that won’t be until sometime in 2022.

Reactions: Fairygodmother