Standalone watch for Libre 2?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
That’s good to know @JaneC, I was getting a tad concerned that Libre 1 would be discontinued sooner rather than later, especially as it seems to have become more accurate.

Reactions: JaneC

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep, Diabox is a great app. Lol, I've used it in tandem with Xdrip on my phone.

I just have no wish to ditch the watch? It was gift from my wife..

Sorry was replying a little off topic and not being very helpful about any watches! Looks as though libre 1 will be around for bit longer and still as an option for prescriptions so hopefully that gives a bit more time for a watch upgrade to be made available (I think someone mentioned firmware, I'm not sure what that is!). I've never had a smart watch or wanted extra bulk on my sensors so just use my phone when I can. I can't have my phone out at work so a small watch would be great, I find most watches irritatingly large and too bulky unfortunately!

I've not got my head around xDrip yet but need to keep using libre link at least once every 8 hrs so my clinic has access to the results and I can continue having the libre on prescription. I use libre link to log notes too, and the libre view reports are useful. Other than that I love diabox just for the easy minute updates of your readings without scanning and better alarm options. Not sure I have reason for a third app too...

Thanks. So i just managed to install testflight app. And then the Diabox app. But no clue what to do next as the app doesnt seem to see the sensor. If anyone here knows how to set up the diabox app, it would be appreciated. If not, i’ll wait for the fb group to accept me as a member.
Btw i havent bought a ‘bubble’ device or what they call it, but an just using the libre 2.
Would be interesting to have continous values on my phone or even on a apple watch. Theyve been promising for like 15 years something like that would come out.

Hi, sounds like my set up, just on android rather than apple. Has your sensor been activated by the libre link app? You need to turn off the permission for libre link to access your location on your phone, so that the sensor can't make a bluetooth connection with the libre link app. The sensor can only make a bluetooth connection with one app at a time. This needs to be with Diabox for the alarms and syncing to work. Libre link will still be able to read the sensor via an NFC scan.

How long ago did you activate it? I've heard the first 12 hrs the sensor gives erratic readings which libre link has tough mechanisms to read, but diabox will struggle to process, and so often not connect during those first few hours.
What I've done is apply my sensor 24hrs before activating. Then activate with libre link. I keep diabox connected to my old sensor for the next 12 hrs and have an overlap with 2 sensors on, the old still connection to diabox, the new available to be scanned with libre link (alarms only on the old sensor initially). When the readings on the two sensors start to align I then connect diabox to the next sensor. Diabox can continue reading an old sensor 12hrs after libre link says the 14 day time limit has gone. This means I don't have a gap in alarms or cgm availability.

I'm in the Facebook group on Diabox, and I get completely overwhelmed with all the technical stuff when I try to understand what I need to do to get that working. Do you use android or apple? If android, would you mind helping me out step by step in about 3 weeks when I start my first Libre2?

Hi, yes sure no problem! @Fairygodmother I use android, Samsung S10. There were some good guides linked on threads on here which I found which helped me set up. From what I've read on the FB page there are always glitches when updates get released, so I've always waited a few days before updating especially if the version I'm using has been working well.

Do you use libre link or need to use it to share your results with your diabetes team?

Diabox has an option to read your values out loud, so I'm currently experimenting with how I can get these on my car audio when I'm driving (changing the syncing to every 5 mins so it isn't too irritating!)

Another brilliant bonus with diabox is that it will continue reading after the 14 day limit! You seem to get 12hrs extra as standard, great over the activation hour of the next sensor. Also great if you're self funding.

Happy to answer more questions when you have them!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yes sure no problem!
Thank you!
I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks, if I can't make it work myself without getting completely overwhelmed and ending up in a miserable crying heap on the floor :)
Do you use libre link or need to use it to share your results with your diabetes team?
I use LibreLink on my Huawei but I do not wish to share with my team so I'm not obliged to use it. However, I do need the 'notes' function to log my insulin doses, as I often track back a day or two to help decide on my doses.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!
I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks, if I can't make it work myself without getting completely overwhelmed and ending up in a miserable crying heap on the floor :)

I use LibreLink on my Huawei but I do not wish to share with my team so I'm not obliged to use it. However, I do need the 'notes' function to log my insulin doses, as I often track back a day or two to help decide on my doses.
No problem! I use libre link for the notes too, you just have to manually scan via nfc when you use libre link. Don't let it establish a bluetooth connection with the sensor otherwise it will 'compete' with diabox causing multiple signal losses every hour. To turn off the ability for the libre link app to connect to diabox you need to go in your phone's settings and disable libre link's permission to access your location. This is via my phones settings rather than the settings in the libre link app.

Sorry for more slight derailing!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. So i just managed to install testflight app. And then the Diabox app. But no clue what to do next as the app doesnt seem to see the sensor. If anyone here knows how to set up the diabox app, it would be appreciated. If not, i’ll wait for the fb group to accept me as a member.
Btw i havent bought a ‘bubble’ device or what they call it, but an just using the libre 2.
Would be interesting to have continous values on my phone or even on a apple watch. Theyve been promising for like 15 years something like that would come out.
I think its @nutribolt who is a bit of a tech guru.... hoping I've tagged the right person!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I'm puzzled. What has my location to do with bluetooth?
I'm not entirely sure, but I gather bluetooth can only work if the app has access to your location. When I changed this permission feature so my bluetooth was still able to be on for other things on my phone, but it was just libre link which didn't have permission to access my location, I got a notice on libre link to say alarms wouldn't work. This is exactly how I wanted it as I only wanted Diabox to be able to give me alarms.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its @nutribolt who is a bit of a tech guru.... hoping I've tagged the right person!
Thanks for the tag.
@TimLibre :
I don't have any apple products but like @Antje77 mentioned Diabox dev has a fb group and telegram group... it works brilliantly without any bridge with Libre 2.

I have not been using MM for almost a month now as Diabox does the job.

Before you try scanning libre 2 with Diabox you must have it activated using official libre app and the official libre app must not have bluetooth permissions on your phone. That is important so that libre 2 blutooth pairing can be initiated only using the Diabox app. Now stripping an app of Bluetooth permissions on Android is done by revoking access to location on an Android device. I am not sure how that is done on iphone but a quick google search gets the following link with some guidance which may be of help:

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-block-apps-bluetooth-access

Hope this is helpful.:)

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m following the tech help as well as I can in case it becomes a necessity for a Libre 2. Thank you @nutribolt and @TimLibre. I have an Apple phone, with fairly straightforward Bluetooth yay or nay requests on apps, and I’ll have another look when my brain’s had a dose of caffeine o power it up. The watlaa-Miaomiao-Libre1 connection for a new sensor is just soooo easy as it does it all without any external intervention. And yes, the extra 12 hours on a sensor’s great. I’m lucky enough to have sensors prescribed so it saves the NHS a few pennies. I do have to scan with LibreLink to activate the programme, not the sensor, and in the current pandemic a consultant accessing the data makes their life better too, especially if, like the one I see or speak with, they’re working on a Covid Ward.
Diabox’s messages about levels when driving are a step forward. The only way I can get alerts while driving is the vibration on the watlaa, which doesn’t tell me the actual reading. Lots to ponder.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fairygodmother ,

I've just this minute ordered a "Bubble mini" from the site.. (& an armband guardian for it on ebay.)

I'll be able to give you some news in a few days when it shows up.. Bit of a "sport out" to save my watch. however still cheaper than... Another watch. :banghead:
& i'm still impressed with the Watlaa one battery life. (Plus the fact it is a stand alone reader.)

Kind of odd when i came to the checkout after giving my details The price was 35 euros cheaper. Then they added 25 for shipping. & promised 3 days. So in all 10 euros cheaper than the initial stated price on the site.

Reactions: Antje77

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Fairygodmother ,

I've just this minute ordered a "Bubble mini" from the site.. (& an armband guardian for it on ebay.)

I'll be able to give you some news in a few days when it shows up.. Bit of a "sport out" to save my watch. however still cheaper than... Another watch. :banghead:
& i'm still impressed with the Watlaa one battery life. (Plus the fact it is a stand alone reader.)

Kind of odd when i came to the checkout after giving my details The price was 35 euros cheaper. Then they added 25 for shipping. & promised 3 days. So in all 10 euros cheaper than the initial stated price on the site.
From what you and Antje say I think the bubble will be the answer if there’s no alternative to Libre 2. I look forward to hearing how you get on when you receive it.

Reactions: porl69