Fybogel

• Thread starter Deleted member 538891
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all

I went to see the gastroenterologist yesterday about my ibs and she gave me fybogel twice a day but its making my blood sugar go up what can i do about this
When i tested it was 19 earlier.

Any ideas.

Sparklebright62.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find 1-3 tablespoons of milled seeds (flax, linseed or chia) have the same effect. I mix them with plain yoghurt the night before and flavour with 1 or 2 strawberries, or 6 blueberries, or a teaspoon of coffee or cocoa . It thickens up overnight.

My ibs has totally gone since going seriously low carb

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use powdered psyllium husk stirred into water and chugged as fast as possible because it’s nasty. It’s the same stuff, but minus whatever they use to make it palatable. I also include it in some cooked food, it gives chaffles a nice texture and retains its ‘helpful’ effects!

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's just a fibre supplement, gentle laxative. Try something else like senna.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Senna tea is great for constipation. Charcoal capsules great for bloating.

sorchao

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Trying to get my Libre unstuck after 14 days
That's just a fibre supplement, gentle laxative. Try something else like senna.
Laxatives tend to be contraindicated in IBS, depending on whether you’re D, C or A, so I would check with your doctor before trying any.
I used to use Fybogel and ended up asking for an alternative because it was just so messy, especially when out and about, so have been using Normacol instead for several years (NOT Normacol Plus, which is a laxative!) It’s like small pieces of stericula ‘gravel’ that you swallow with water. It’s gluten-free and the packet says it does have sugar in it, too, although I haven’t been able to find out how much, to compare to Fybogel, sorry.
The flax/linseed/chia might be a better alternative, though, as you know you’re not getting any added stuff to stabilise it in the packet.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Talk to Pharmacist - I'm pretty sure they do a sugarless version. May be check packet and box and read ingredients?
Currently Fybogel is classed as a bowel regulator rather then a laxative. This means it's good for some diarrhoea conditions.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took it for a while after my diverticula diagnosis, I was diagnosed with T2 at the same time, they do a sugar free one which I used. Since going very low carb I don’t take it any more