Really struggling with low carb

Sad21+

Hello I'm 29 and prediabetic. I'm also suffering from peripual neuropathy.I've been doing low carb since January. And I'm struggling with the food. It got so bad I just stopped eating. I don't like low carb food but I have no choice. I'm not a fan of red meat. I've eaten so many salads. I constantly eat fish, eggs,cheese and nuts. I cannot stand the taste of almond and coconut flour. I try and force myself to eat it. But I'm so tired and hungry all the time. I suffer from ibs so I cannot have gluten. I'm overwhelmed and anxious because I cannot have gluten,sugar and carbs. I'm paranoid when it comes to food now. I just don't know what to do anymore. I think what depresses me the most is I have to eat like this for the rest of my life. Any help would be great.

Buzzer81

Chicken is a good meat? I eat loads of it! Have you tried cauliflower rice? I mean for me cauliflower is awesome (before diagnosis I NEVER ate it at all.... now I love it.

You can roast cauliflower, or chop it up as a rice substitute?

Greek yoghurt is a good one? Maybe a cheeky square of dark chocolate on top?

Check out threads in here and you tend to pick up good advice so stick around and you’ll get there. Good luck

Reactions: Sad21+ and Rach612

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I'm 29 and prediabetic. I'm also suffering from peripual neuropathy.I've been doing low carb since January. And I'm struggling with the food. It got so bad I just stopped eating. I don't like low carb food but I have no choice. I'm not a fan of red meat. I've eaten so many salads. I constantly eat fish, eggs,cheese and nuts. I cannot stand the taste of almond and coconut flour. I try and force myself to eat it. But I'm so tired and hungry all the time. I suffer from ibs so I cannot have gluten. I'm overwhelmed and anxious because I cannot have gluten,sugar and carbs. I'm paranoid when it comes to food now. I just don't know what to do anymore. I think what depresses me the most is I have to eat like this for the rest of my life. Any help would be great.
I am sorry you are finding it difficult and are tired and anxious. Until you can lay down foundations and habits it can be tricky but it is worth it, Have a look at the thread on this forum called “What have you eaten today” for ideas. I am a regular and my meals won’t win any prizes but I often get ideas from others and the contributors are super friendly. Best wishes.

Reactions: jjraak and Sad21+

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Buzzer81. Full fat Greek yogurt, maybe grated dark chocolate on it or a few berries and some chia seeds. You may tolerate that. I do it with a few berries some chia seeds and tea with no added sugars almond milk. ;)

I’m sorry to hear you are struggling. I struggle with anxiety/depression too. Do you like avocado or spinach?

Reactions: Sad21+

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a BG meter to test your reaction to foods as you may find that you can eat more carbs than you think?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried tofu as a food. Also dont forget the use of herbs and spices ,they can tart up lots of foods and add a new dimension to them.Takes time to discover new alternatives ,but there are plenty of them waiting to be discovered.

Reactions: jjraak and Sad21+

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would absolutely not try and force yourself to eat anything, that will just put you off for life. There is no requirement to eat almond flour if you don’t like it.

Try and find a handful of safe foods (use your meter) and then expand from there. If you don’t enjoy food in one form, maybe a slightly different presentation might help, for example mince instead of a slab of meat. You can try minced pork, turkey or chicken as a change from beef. How about some good sausages or some cold meat or salami. Or you could try some varieties of cheese that perhaps you haven’t eaten before - just pick one and give it a go!

I find salads dull - but that was before I realised that actually it was lettuce I was bored by. I grow (in the summer, which is pretty much the only time I fancy salad anyway) all sorts of spicy leaves which are much tastier, and make a dressing I enjoy or use Cardini’s Caesar Salad dressing which is pretty low-carb. But I mostly make chopped salads from tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, chillis and no leaves at all. A tomato, sweet onion and mozzarella salad with a sharp, mustardy dressing is pretty good too.

Again, lots of varieties of fish to play with - I like plain salmon cooked in the oven (well, air fryer, but this bit of kit is not essential) with roasted veggies or courgette, aubergine and swede ‘chips’. Also fried fillets of cod, plaice or tuna. Or cheap white frozen fish bricks (coley) in a fish stew is good.

You can make veggie currys or chillis or stews and/or add some chicken thighs if you like. Or Paneer. Or just the veg, although I do add a tin of chickpeas or a few red lentils to my mine, I find I tolerate them ok since a batch makes multiple meals.

Maybe suggest a few things you do like and we can see if we can help you build a low-carb meal around them.

Sad21+

Chicken is a good meat? I eat loads of it! Have you tried cauliflower rice? I mean for me cauliflower is awesome (before diagnosis I NEVER ate it at all.... now I love it.

You can roast cauliflower, or chop it up as a rice substitute?

Greek yoghurt is a good one? Maybe a cheeky square of dark chocolate on top?

Check out threads in here and you tend to pick up good advice so stick around and you’ll get there. Good luck
Hello thank you for your advice and kindness. I've tried cauliflower rice it will take time for me to get use to it. I appreciate your help. And try your tips. Thank you.

Sad21+

I am sorry you are finding it difficult and are tired and anxious. Until you can lay down foundations and habits it can be tricky but it is worth it, Have a look at the thread on this forum called “What have you eaten today” for ideas. I am a regular and my meals won’t win any prizes but I often get ideas from others and the contributors are super friendly. Best wishes.
Thank you very much I will do that. Thank you for your advice.

Sad21+

I agree with @Buzzer81. Full fat Greek yogurt, maybe grated dark chocolate on it or a few berries and some chia seeds. You may tolerate that. I do it with a few berries some chia seeds and tea with no added sugars almond milk. ;)

I’m sorry to hear you are struggling. I struggle with anxiety/depression too. Do you like avocado or spinach?
Hello thank you for your advice and tips. I hope your depression and anxiety gets better. Its so draining and overwhelming. I appreciate your help. Yeah I try spinach and avocado. I think the issue is my taste buds. I just have to get over it. Thank you.

Sad21+

I've never tried tofu. My nan says I should. They sell them in Sainsbury's so I might get some. I know I was gluten free before this it took forever for me to adjust. And when I finally did now I have to start all over again. I think I'm just overwhelmed. I appreciate your advice and help. Very grateful.
Have you tried tofu as a food. Also dont forget the use of herbs and spices ,they can tart up lots of foods and add a new dimension to them.Takes time to discover new alternatives ,but there are plenty of them waiting to be discovered.

Sad21+

I would absolutely not try and force yourself to eat anything, that will just put you off for life. There is no requirement to eat almond flour if you don’t like it.

Try and find a handful of safe foods (use your meter) and then expand from there. If you don’t enjoy food in one form, maybe a slightly different presentation might help, for example mince instead of a slab of meat. You can try minced pork, turkey or chicken as a change from beef. How about some good sausages or some cold meat or salami. Or you could try some varieties of cheese that perhaps you haven’t eaten before - just pick one and give it a go!

I find salads dull - but that was before I realised that actually it was lettuce I was bored by. I grow (in the summer, which is pretty much the only time I fancy salad anyway) all sorts of spicy leaves which are much tastier, and make a dressing I enjoy or use Cardini’s Caesar Salad dressing which is pretty low-carb. But I mostly make chopped salads from tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, chillis and no leaves at all. A tomato, sweet onion and mozzarella salad with a sharp, mustardy dressing is pretty good too.

Again, lots of varieties of fish to play with - I like plain salmon cooked in the oven (well, air fryer, but this bit of kit is not essential) with roasted veggies or courgette, aubergine and swede ‘chips’. Also fried fillets of cod, plaice or tuna. Or cheap white frozen fish bricks (coley) in a fish stew is good.

You can make veggie currys or chillis or stews and/or add some chicken thighs if you like. Or Paneer. Or just the veg, although I do add a tin of chickpeas or a few red lentils to my mine, I find I tolerate them ok since a batch makes multiple meals.

Maybe suggest a few things you do like and we can see if we can help you build a low-carb meal around them.
Hello that's brilliant advice thank you. I'm a fussy eater. All the food I like I cannot eat so i think I'm frustrated. I do jazz up my salads and I bought minced chicken which was nice. You are right I need to expand my options. But I'm so overwhelmed. You are right I will not force myself foods I cannot eat. Thank you so much. Tbh my favourite foods are cereal, grapes, apples,sweetcorn and rice I know not good. Ivecut them all out.At the moment I do not have foods that I like.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that’s a start :)

Minced chicken it is. You could make a chilli, as spicy or not as you like, with or without a few kidney beans depending on how they affect you. Or a bolognese sauce, I like to put it over courgettes and bake in the oven with cheese on top, like a lasagne. Or you could make meatballs or a burger. Or stuff cabbage leaves. You could even make these chinese-dumpling style with garlic and ginger and perhaps a few peanuts, maybe be add a few minced prawns too.

Not minced, but how about chicken skewers with satay sauce made with unsweetened peanut butter? Or a tandoori coating of yoghurt and tandoori spice or just a bit of curry powder is really simple and tasty.

Anyway, the point is, (I think there’s a point to my ramblings!) concentrate on one or two things you quite like and see if you can work them into a couple of easy meals that you can knock out and know you’ll enjoy. Try not to focus on the ‘can’t haves’ too much. There really is a whole world of delicious food out there, you just need to try a few new things now and then, see how it goes. You might surprise yourself!

Reactions: Sad21+ and Pasha

Sad21+

Well that’s a start :)

Minced chicken it is. You could make a chilli, as spicy or not as you like, with or without a few kidney beans depending on how they affect you. Or a bolognese sauce, I like to put it over courgettes and bake in the oven with cheese on top, like a lasagne. Or you could make meatballs or a burger. Or stuff cabbage leaves. You could even make these chinese-dumpling style with garlic and ginger and perhaps a few peanuts, maybe be add a few minced prawns too.

Not minced, but how about chicken skewers with satay sauce made with unsweetened peanut butter? Or a tandoori coating of yoghurt and tandoori spice or just a bit of curry powder is really simple and tasty.

Anyway, the point is, (I think there’s a point to my ramblings!) concentrate on one or two things you quite like and see if you can work them into a couple of easy meals that you can knock out and know you’ll enjoy. Try not to focus on the ‘can’t haves’ too much. There really is a whole world of delicious food out there, you just need to try a few new things now and then, see how it goes. You might surprise yourself!
Thank you so much. You are so lovely. I will take your advice and try and implement it. I know it's a journey so hopefully with time things will get better. Thank you. Please take care.

Reactions: EllieM

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have one but I might get one to test. That's a good idea thank you.
It might allow you to increase your options re what you can and should not eat. By testing I have found that I can eat more ‘carby’ foods than many of the members here so average about 130g carbs per day.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello that's brilliant advice thank you. I'm a fussy eater. All the food I like I cannot eat so i think I'm frustrated. I do jazz up my salads and I bought minced chicken which was nice. You are right I need to expand my options. But I'm so overwhelmed. You are right I will not force myself foods I cannot eat. Thank you so much. Tbh my favourite foods are cereal, grapes, apples,sweetcorn and rice I know not good. Ivecut them all out.At the moment I do not have foods that I like.
Have you tried cauliflower rice? I don’t bother to do my own but buy the individual frozen packets from Tesco - think ASDA do it as well, microwave as instructed and then add to cooked peppers, mushrooms, onion, chicken or pork etc and make stir fried rice - even put an egg in it! It’s also not too bad with chilli or curry.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My way of eating is moderate carbs low carb does not suit me so I eat most things I like in small portions. I don't eat sweet stuff though have never had a sweet tooth .It works for me and my blood tests are fine and I don't take any diabetes medication What suits one person does not necessarily suit another Especially as you have other problems you must find what suits you it is all trial and error

Sad21+

Have you tried cauliflower rice? I don’t bother to do my own but buy the individual frozen packets from Tesco - think ASDA do it as well, microwave as instructed and then add to cooked peppers, mushrooms, onion, chicken or pork etc and make stir fried rice - even put an egg in it! It’s also not too bad with chilli or curry.
I'm so sorry I didn't see this. Yes I've tried cauliflower rice both me and my mum and we don't like it. We tend to have curries with veggies. I'm thinking of buying a food processor and making my own cauliflower rice. Thank you. Sorry for delay

Sad21+

It might allow you to increase your options re what you can and should not eat. By testing I have found that I can eat more ‘carby’ foods than many of the members here so average about 130g carbs per day.
Yes I'm going to get one soon. I'm happy you have found what works for you. Thank you. Sorry for delay didnt see message