Fiber to help with hunger between meals

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I eat vegies every day, but I am still having hunger feelings, even ravenous, between meals last few days. I'm reading/hearing that more water and fiber with meals helps with hunger between meals. I'm never hungry like this after dinner in the evening but that's when I have the best balanced meal. A meat, vegetable, and usually like cottage cheese as a side dish. My vegies may not provide enough fiber though. I saw where a cup of kale has only 2.6 grams of fiber, and our daily intake, supposedly should be 25-30 grams of fiber.

So I'm looking at psyllium supplement. Any direction you can give me on this? I try the water but no sooner do I drink a glass, I'm still hungry ;( With my meat, fats, and carbs I'm getting usually around 1400 calories a day, I shouldn't be hungry. I've been on Keto/low-carbs for 3 months now.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Coffee with a dash of cream stops me from being hungry while I'm fasting or between meals.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coffee with a dash of cream stops me from being hungry while I'm fasting or between meals.
leaded @ert ? I have half decaf/half leaded right now, trying to trim that down as I have a tremor that gets a bit worse with my morning 2 cups of leaded. I could try it out though. Especially after Breakfast and lunch with is why I had to go back to eating a lunch which is almost daily, 6 ounces of Two Good Yogurt, 2 ounces of blackberries or rasberries, and 1/4 cup of walnuts chopped up. I love it, but it isn't getting me through til dinner.

My breakfast is sausage or bacon, sausage at 2 ounces, 3 slices of thick bacon. Then two large eggs, and top it with mozzarella Cheese grated, and an avocado smooshed up (about a 2 ounce once dig it out and discard the seed). That breakfast should last me atleast 4 hours but it doesn't.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
either your body is telling you it is hungry, or its thirsty.
I was surprised how much I can identify true hunger now. Previously what I thought was hunger was actually carb cravings. I think you might be through that stage now, so try increasing meals a bit, or having more drinks in between

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
leaded @ert ? I have half decaf/half leaded right now, trying to trim that down as I have a tremor that gets a bit worse with my morning 2 cups of leaded. I could try it out though. Especially after Breakfast and lunch with is why I had to go back to eating a lunch which is almost daily, 6 ounces of Two Good Yogurt, 2 ounces of blackberries or rasberries, and 1/4 cup of walnuts chopped up. I love it, but it isn't getting me through til dinner.

My breakfast is sausage or bacon, sausage at 2 ounces, 3 slices of thick bacon. Then two large eggs, and top it with mozzarella Cheese grated, and an avocado smooshed up (about a 2 ounce once dig it out and discard the seed). That breakfast should last me atleast 4 hours but it doesn't.
soya cream full-fat https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/cream-variation/cream-variation/soya-cuisine-single-uht/

Reactions: Speedbird

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
either your body is telling you it is hungry, or its thirsty.
I was surprised how much I can identify true hunger now. Previously what I thought was hunger was actually carb cravings. I think you might be through that stage now, so try increasing meals a bit, or having more drinks in between
I wasn't trying the intermittent fasting, well, I call going 4 to 5 hours without a snack IF but realized when I started trying it I was getting ravenous.

I will try the water, and a bit larger portions in my meals. I was sort of brain-washed into a habit of portions being like the size of my palm. I have sort of dinky hands :meh: but it was always enough because I had my snacks. Honestly my whole life was built around eating though and I don't want it to be that way anymore. Feeling like I have to eat all the time interferes a lot with my day. I'm also thinking of working in some sort of meat with every meal, oh, and more fiber, I think that will help.

Read about getting more fiber in vegies, and recipes for drinking blended vegies. I don't know about doing those with a meal though. I don't want to much liquid with my foods for digestion right? Just thinking outloud now. Thanks @MrsA2

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think upping your portions may help.

A trick I use is diet jelly as that has basically no calories and I gather you don't want to increase your calories? I have it with cream and find it really does help with hunger- I think because it isn't a complete liquid. I also freeze it from time to time- It takes me a lot longer to eat and satisfies something in me and I feel a lot less hungry- just a thought as it works for me.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @VashtiB, I agree on trying the larger portions. Well, I got in the habit of counting calories but now I am more into just watching carbs. I hope to get a lot more nutrition through food now, rather than have a bunch of supplements. I was wondering when you have the jelly and cream, between meals like a snack, or with meals?

It sound yummy! What do they use for sweetener in it and the brand name? I might find it on Amazon. I used to use Simple Fruit but that's false advertising because it is 10 grams of carbs, and the worst part is 9 grams of added sugars (Fruit Syrup)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the diet jelly packets and make them up. I normally have them after dinner for a dessert but occasionally as a snack when hungry between meals. I make up a packet at a time and have them in the fridge- it avoids temptation when I want something. the brand is Aeroplane Jelly.

Disappointing when false advertising- 10 grams is too much to waste.- That statement alone shows that my taste buds or thoughts have changed.

once at work we had Minties and I thought to myself- I could just have one- how many grams could it have- I went to check. From memory about 6 grams of carbs for one Mintie- that's sometimes my entire carb intake for the day- I just couldn't waste it on a Mintie.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I get the diet jelly packets and make them up. I normally have them after dinner for a dessert but occasionally as a snack when hungry between meals. I make up a packet at a time and have them in the fridge- it avoids temptation when I want something. the brand is Aeroplane Jelly.

Disappointing when false advertising- 10 grams is too much to waste.- That statement alone shows that my taste buds or thoughts have changed.

once at work we had Minties and I thought to myself- I could just have one- how many grams could it have- I went to check. From memory about 6 grams of carbs for one Mintie- that's sometimes my entire carb intake for the day- I just couldn't waste it on a Mintie.

Thanks for the info, I will look around and see if I can find some. I like the single-serving packets. I also ran across some things they call Fat-bombs. I don't think I could make a tray full of those though, not yet ;) They could turn into gut-bombs ;)

Gonna go relax with my little dog now. I did a me-time walk for 30 min. Then I came and got her and we went out while she read her p-mail and I cooled down from my walk ;) Have nice evening, it must be pretty late across the pond by now, Thank you again @VashtiB

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Aeroplane jelly (many flavours) are only made in Australia

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read about getting more fiber in vegies, and recipes for drinking blended vegies

If it’s the fibre you’re after, blending and drinking veggies won’t provide it. You’re far better off eating them whole.

You may also want to look at increasing protein to improve satiety.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If it’s the fibre you’re after, blending and drinking veggies won’t provide it. You’re far better off eating them whole.

You may also want to look at increasing protein to improve satiety.

I agree whole would be best, but I think you still get fiber when you blend the spinach and kale, for instance, with a little water. I'll look into it though. I want to make sure before I start doing it on occasion. Thanks for your input though @Goonergal

Looks like typical one article says yes, it's fine, and the one that says only if you don't blend it too fine is it effective. But the latter also says, on 2 articles, they don't know much about it. I usually eat roasted or steamed vegies at dinner, but want to add smoothies into other times of day just to get more fiber. Some say it helps with hunger between meals if you consume enough. 25-30 grams of fiber a day is pretty hard to get unless you really enjoy Kale, spinach etc., but I'll try it out for filling me up. I'd like to get to 4 even 5 hours between meals.

I really thing my body is still adjusting, I am guessing several months to a year. Who knows ;)

Well, I can't find any actual studies done on blending fiber, but some interesting opinions, of course ;) I noticed my smoothie yesterday was pretty grainy and I have an inexpensive blender so I think I'm getting some of the fiber. I'll have to just see how I feel. I have added to my meat "portion" but I think I already mentioned not getting ravenous after dinner so easy not to snack like I used to.

It's only after breakfast that I get the worst hunger pangs, and I do eat sausage or bacon which should hold me over I would think. I toss in spinach or avocado, sometimes leftover brocolli with my omelette.

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes, I'm not seeing it even on Amazon ;)

What Australians call "jelly" is jello for you in the US. What we call "jam" in Australia (and England) is what you call jelly. Huge distinction between the two based on language.

So you might not be outta luck @G0ldengirl68

Last edited:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Thanks @Riva_Roxaban . I can even sing the song "I love Aeroplane Jelly ....."

@G0ldengirl68 I use a psyllium husk supplement ongoing in capsule form to keep everything regular though usually when I am eating a lot of meat. Not sure if it affects my appetite though.