Anyone tried the Slimfast Keto diet plan?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this on my travels, and wonder if it might make low carb keto diets any easier
https://slimfast.com/how-it-works

Note that Slimfast does not make any major claims for their products as regards diabetes blood sugar control except that it may help. They do not recommend its use by diabetics unless under medical supervision. But there may be some adventurous souls here.....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently, there has been reporting of reversal of Type 2 diabetes using the Cambridge 1:1 plan
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ms-diet-treatment-lower-blood-sugar-remission

However, DUK seems to dismiss this claim. But then they would - they funded the Newcastle Diet that used Optifast shakes. Now Optifast (Aus) does not make any claims for diabetes control for their products so the circle is broken at the moment.

I am still trying to find a meal replacement diet plan that makes substantiated claims for this approach independent of the Newcastle study, which I consider to be overhyped.

Just to muddy the waters, Newcastle AC latest study DIRECT is using the Cambridge 1:1 shakes, but have prevented them from making any claims for their product, and ND is careful not to make the mistake of naming what shakes they use. Seems to suggest a commercial tie-up between them.

Edit to add: I am not aware of any connection between ND, DUK with Slimfast, which will allow for an indepedent source of info to compare. There are other meal replacement shake providers too.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this on my travels, and wonder if it might make low carb keto diets any easier

Note that Slimfast does not make any major claims for their products as regards diabetes blood sugar control except that it may help. They do not recommend its use by diabetics unless under medical supervision. But there may be some adventurous souls here.....
Looking at that link, it appears that you are constantly grazing. So not really a fast, which I would regard as limiting food intake, not just calorie reduction. For me the advantage of using just shakes was that it was a simple drink 3 times a day. A sort of reset of mind set, too. With too much choice of drinks, meals and addition of snack I doubt I would have stuck with the programme. It seems to be very undisciplined. Also the follow on of two meals and a slimfast product each day looks as if the company wants to retain your custom. Which I guess it does. So it isn’t the short duration of 8 to 12 weeks using meal replacement products, as designated by the ND team. Got you forever.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at that link, it appears that you are constantly grazing. So not really a fast, which I would regard as limiting food intake, not just calorie reduction. For me the advantage of using just shakes was that it was a simple drink 3 times a day. A sort of reset of mind set, too. With too much choice of drinks, meals and addition of snack I doubt I would have stuck with the programme. It seems to be very undisciplined. Also the follow on of two meals and a slimfast product each day looks as if the company wants to retain your custom. Which I guess it does. So it isn’t the short duration of 8 to 12 weeks using meal replacement products, as designated by the ND team. Got you forever.
Yes, it does seem to be unstructured. It used to be simple 3 shakes a day, but I suppose they lost ground to other plans like Atkins that have all the added bells and whistles and nutribars. I was mainly interested in the keto range, which is why I posted in the Low Carb section, but I also see they do a Diabetics weight loss and bgl control range too. I suppose they are relying on this being something that dieticians and nutritionists would supervise, so they just supply products. This would explain why they make no claims.

But many people feel a need to graze. The NICE guidelines say to eat often on Eatwell. My NHS dietician was worried my low-carb diet was harmful because I was not planning on doing that, and she was urging me to use protein bars from H&B to prevent hypo's. Luckily the H&B manager gave me a big NO NO to that.

There was a rumour that the NHS was offering weight loss diet plans on scrip. Maybe that is more structured, but I have not found out what they are using. So far it seems that it is only the exercise component that the NHS funds. The GP relies on local weight loss support groups with no financial assistance, so WW is one you would have to pay for yourself.

OK getting warmer
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/uk/fitness/fat-loss/a33545164/nhs-weight-loss-plan/
It does not work on my PC so I cannot access it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK. This article changes what I said earlier. Cambridge Diet is now able to claim success using the ND DIRECT study results.
https://www.one2onediet.com/blog/health-wellbeing-great-research-published/20932/
Of course, this is not the independent validation I seek, but we may see the others taking big steps to match this, The big question will they use the 'by similarity' ploy, or do their own analysis far away from Newcastle?

Does prove my assertion that they supplied the shakes used in DIRECT.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not aware of any connection between ND, DUK with Slimfast, which will allow for an indepedent source of info to compare. There are other meal replacement shake providers too.

These guys claim that they were connected to DiRECT and 2 or 3 of the dieticians mentioned in the DiRECT study are shareholders..

https://www.counterweight.org

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I looked at the ingredients of the Keto slimfast shakes. It uses MCF - or something like that. They dont state if this is coconut oil or palm oil.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I presume you meant these guys, not Slimfast
https://www.cambridgeweightplan.co.nz/anthony-leeds

No I meant the link I gave you..
Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 17.53.49.png

Some of the names here might sound familiar to anyone familiar with DiRECT

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/...050c99ef68cd2f4f1587116a24aeb2bb7d87dffe03495

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked at the ingredients of the Keto slimfast shakes. It uses MCF - or something like that. They dont state if this is coconut oil or palm oil.
I presume it wasn't this lot, but there is a still hidden connection that is.
https://mcfcapitalmanagement.com/the-fragreport/keto

Serendipity or what?

To answer your question the keto produxt has this
"SlimFast Keto MCT Oil is a non-GMO, high-quality, 100% pure coconut oil providing C8 Caprylic Acid. It is free from gluten, lactose, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, and colors. Most commonly added to hot beverages, it can also be used for cooking or as an ingredient in salad dressings, sauces, and more."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I meant the link I gave you..View attachment 49100

Some of the names here might sound familiar to anyone familiar with DiRECT

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/GQVYfbtEWGWfPvOEbsdzkhepSVyblt9FnTC9zSld_bY/application-pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAWRGBDBV3BFDQ2U3V/20210425/eu-west-2/s3/aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210425T165453Z&X-Amz-Expires=60&X-Amz-Security-Token=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&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&response-content-disposition=inline;filename="companies_house_document.pdf"&X-Amz-Signature=7302b4835caf2125be8050c99ef68cd2f4f1587116a24aeb2bb7d87dffe03495
My virus checker refused this link.

Counterpoint sells shakes for ND, but who supplies them? The DIRECT study certainly seems to have used Cambridge Diet shakes, and there does seem to be a commercial tie-in or at least an NDA in place with them, Counterpoint is obviously set up to market ND, but they are unlikely to manufacture the products themselves.. I think what they sell is rebranded

I would be surprised if it was Slimfast which is the company I was talking about in the post you responded to. It is more likely to be Cambridge Diet. Is counterpoint the USA arm?

Who are Counterpoint.org. My browser just says it is forbidden. I get a popup that says it is blocked but gives no reason.
Edit- OOPs it should be Counterweight.org of course Counterpoin was an ND study.

Last edited:

Newly diagnosed

I’m not sure the keto slimfast is the same as normal slimfast. I have the slimfast keto shake sometimes as a breakfast if I’m getting bored of my usual breakfast choice. Looking at the tub, it doesn’t say anything regarding the normal slimfast meal plan, I think it’s just a drink to support a keto lifestyle? I may be wrong, but that’s how I read it. Hope this is helpful.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My virus checker refused this link.

Counterpoint sells shakes for ND, but who supplies them? The DIRECT study certiaunly seem to have used Cambridge Diet shakes, and there does seem to be a commercial tie in ir at least an NDA in place with them, Counterpoint is obviously set up to market ND, but they are unlikely to manufacture the products themselves.. I think what they sell is rebranded

I would be surprised if it was Slimfast which is the company I was talking about in the post you responded to. It is more likely to be Cambridge Diet. Is counterpoint the USA arm?

Who are Counterpoint.org. My browser just says it is forbidden. I get a popup that says it is blocked but gives no reason.

There is a tortuous route between what used to be the Cambridge Diet plan and Counterweight but they do have a least one person in common.

The link I posted is to Companies House which if you search for "counterweight" will give you the info you need.

Counterweight.org is UK based.. no idea why your brower doesn't like it.. maybe search for Counterweight?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not sure the keto slimfast is the same as normal slimfast. I have the slimfast keto shake sometimes as a breakfast if I’m getting bored of my usual breakfast choice. Looking at the tub, it doesn’t say anything regarding the normal slimfast meal plan, I think it’s just a drink to support a keto lifestyle? I may be wrong, but that’s how I read it. Hope this is helpful.
I suspect they will be very similar, and that keto may just be a rebranding marketing exercise since as has been discussed in another thread, these vlcal diets are in effect almost keto anyway. Although I don't use them myself, I can see the attraction to having one or two of these products as a standby since they keep quite well in the larder. I did just post an article giving someone's experience of using them and it seems that there are taste issues that may need supplementation, but it is not a showstopper it seems. It ain't gonna harm with the occasional sidestep to use one, its convenient, and pricey which in my circumstance is a limiting factor,

Reactions: Newly diagnosed

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a tortuous route between what used to be the Cambridge Diet plan and Counterweight but they do have a least one person in common.

The link I posted is to Companies House which if you search for "counterweight" will give you the info you need.

Counterweight.org is UK based.. no idea why your brower doesn't like it.. maybe search for Counterweight?
I searched Company House records. only 4 or 5 Counterweight's in it, and none seemed to be viable, Not sure where you got that link from, but it does not have anything mentioning companies house in it, Seems to end up at a Swiss internet address. Please check the link in the post and verify it works for you.

Slimfast is an American company based in Tucson Arizona and that is their only manufacturing site, so I cannot see how you can connect them to ND, There is a health company listed in Cardiff that does white label manufacturing of health products, but I can access a Counterpoint online sales site but it gives no information on what is in the products, only the prices. So I suspect this may be what Prof Lean left the ND group to set up since there are strong hints that it is connected to West Lothian Health Authority (i,e, Glasgow Uni is close to this area)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

OK found them on Linkedin. London based, 10 employees, 8 listed in Linkedin. Unlikely to be manufacturing themselves, so rebranding someone else's product range This is the NHS facing marketing organization at a guess and online sales. Wonder why they are not declaring the nutritional values - is that legal, I wonder? No vegetarian declaration either from what I could see.

Edit to add: Taken from a press release from the ND DIRECT trial
"Today, Cambridge Weight Plan Ltd manufactures its own products as well as for Counterweight Ltd." Sussed it at last. I deserve a sugar lump for that!

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by my DN to eat three small meals a day plus 3 snacks to keep my blood sugar levels stready.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you provide a link to this, please?
Yup you caught me out there. NICE used to define the diet in their guidelines, now they have referred out to dedicated dieticians to establish a lifestyle management plan. This is new to me since I was DX'ed some 30 years ago. Even 7 years ago I was referred to an NHS dietician because my GP was against me doing Low Carb, and I was introduced back to Eatwell, and that was where the mantra of regular eating and snacking was discussed as being required for a T2D, along with the 5-a-day message. I think the snax recommended to me at that session were nuts and fruit rather than biscuits and cakes, along with protein bars.

This is what the NHS is advocating as the recommended diet nowadays.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/

Last edited: