Type 2 Coffee & blood sugar levels

Torrhun

Hi

I'm not a coffee drinker as I gave it up 20+ years ago as I was consuming too much sugar in it & I hated it without sugar. This was very much in the pre diabetes days.

From what I've read my understanding is that black coffee is fine but to avoid it with milk/cream etc.

Today I was given an iced Latte by mistake and decided to be adventurous but decided to test BSL before and after the drink just to see what the effect would be.

Pre drink I tested at 6.6 & 45 minutes later I tested a 5.6. I've just retested 1hr & 45 mins later and I'm still sitting at 5.6.

I have to say this has surprised me as if fully expected to see a raised BSL.

Can anyone explain the reduction after drinking what I think was a Costa full fat iced latte?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
milk is ok... but it does have a very small amount of carbs in it.. so you just have to allow for that.

and to be fair you don't have much in coffee.. if you drinking it by the glass it may be different

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I'm not a coffee drinker as I gave it up 20+ years ago as I was consuming too much sugar in it & I hated it without sugar. This was very much in the pre diabetes days.

From what I've read my understanding is that black coffee is fine but to avoid it with milk/cream etc.

Today I was given an iced Latte by mistake and decided to be adventurous but decided to test BSL before and after the drink just to see what the effect would be.

Pre drink I tested at 6.6 & 45 minutes later I tested a 5.6. I've just retested 1hr & 45 mins later and I'm still sitting at 5.6.

I have to say this has surprised me as if fully expected to see a raised BSL.

Can anyone explain the reduction after drinking what I think was a Costa full fat iced latte?

hi and welcome :)

What type of diabetes do you have? And what medication are you on?

One of those commercial lattes would probably raise my (non medicated) blood glucose around 1.5mmol/l for around an hour and a half, but be down again at 2 hours. The sugars in milk always seem to affect me more than other carbs of the same amount.

I am wondering whether your blood glucose was dropping before you had the latte? A brisk walk to the coffeeshop? Getting peckish? A flight of stairs or 3?

Torrhun

hi and welcome :)

What type of diabetes do you have? And what medication are you on?

One of those commercial lattes would probably raise my (non medicated) blood glucose around 1.5mmol/l for around an hour and a half, but be down again at 2 hours. The sugars in milk always seem to affect me more than other carbs of the same amount.

I am wondering whether your blood glucose was dropping before you had the latte? A brisk walk to the coffeeshop? Getting peckish? A flight of stairs or 3?
Thanks for the reply.

I’m type 2 diet and exercise controlled so no meds.

TBF over the last few weeks I’ve been averaging 6.6’s and anything I eat generally raises BSL a couple of points for a couple of hours and I was expecting a rise slightly higher than this but was shocked at the reading.

In the hours leading up to the coffee level had been stable most of the day and I can’t put the reduction down to any exercise I’d been sitting on my ass for the proceeding hours, I wasn’t feeling hungry and other than a 100m walk from the car to pick up a coffee for the wicked fairy that was the extent of my days exercise.

I’ve never found anything that I can eat/drink that actually reduces bsl and I’m curious as to whether or not there is a possibility that coffee has magic properties

I didn’t really enjoy the coffee but I’ll certainly repeat the exercise to see if it provides a similar resultant fall in BSL.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Caffeine usually raises my BG a bit. I think it’s due to cortisol.

OCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
raises mine a bit & when I have it with a spoon of soy cream not so much. stops me eating between meals so don't mind the bump. Commercial ones vary I had a Starbucks soy and had to pour it down the drain it was so sweet! skimmed milk probably ok anywhere though