Type 2 What do your numbers look like?

rickydoo

my doctor explained what my blood sugar levels should be, in the morning, before meals, but how should my numbers look throughout the day? How much should each meal bring me up on average, and what’s your guys’ peak blood sugar levels look like throughout the day? Thanks! :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try and stay below 6.0 mmol/l at all times, usually 5. something on getting up and between 4.5 and 6.0 after meals.

What range did your doctor give you?

Many of us would not eat a meal that increases blood glucose by more than 2 mmol/l after 2 hours.

Reactions: rickydoo

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
my doctor explained what my blood sugar levels should be, in the morning, before meals, but how should my numbers look throughout the day? How much should each meal bring me up on average, and what’s your guys’ peak blood sugar levels look like throughout the day? Thanks! :)
This is on the basis of about 20g carb/day, with about half of this in my evening meal. I expect to see the highest reading first thing in the morning, which then steadily drops across the rest of the day. So I might be 5.6 at 0700 and 5.1 by noon. Normally in 4s by afternoon. Up by maybe 0.5-1.0 after evening meal and normally finish the day around high 4s low 5s. Readings can drop into the low 4s overnight. BUT - with any sniffle or similar my readings increase. I often know I'm about to have a cold because the BG goes up before the cold symptoms arrive. Really strenuous exercise (heavy digging, for example) will lower my BG, as will alcohol. This is only my current pattern, it wasn't like this last year - yours is unlikely to be the same as mine and you really shouldn't worry if it's different.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to set your own targets as we all have different aspirations. You should test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. It is preferable to keep any rise below 2mmol, and under 7.8mmol. Once you get the hang of things you can reduce your targets, and remember that most people spike after eating before the 2 hours - that depends on the food eaten and how your own pancreas works. At the 2 hour time, you ought to be on your way down, and hopefully back where you started before 3 hours.

These are the NICE recommended levels, but are a bit generous. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What type of diabetes do you have?

rickydoo

I try and stay below 6.0 mmol/l at all times, usually 5. something on getting up and between 4.5 and 6.0 after meals.

What range did your doctor give you?

Many of us would not eat a meal that increases blood glucose by more than 2 mmol/l after 2 hours.

She said to keep it between 90mg/dL - 120mg/dL. Apologies for the American numbers. Will be looking into the conversion soon!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She said to keep it between 90mg/dL - 120mg/dL. Apologies for the American numbers. Will be looking into the conversion soon!
Divide by 18 ... so yours are 5 mmol/l and 6.6 mmol/l
Not a bad range but you can go lower if unmedicated perfectly safely.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New I try and stay below 6.0 mmol/l at all times, usually 5. something on getting up and between 4.5 and 6.0 after meals.
While these numbers are excellent, you should also mention that you are on a very restricted diet to achieve them. They are probably not realistic targets for most people, even some non diabetics.

Reactions: KK123