John.Mck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lockdown
Hi All.
Just joined Have been T2 for 10 years on oral.
I have now been told i have to go onto insulin & tablets & am waiting to hook up with Nurse as i have seen my consultant.
I have concerns & am at the point of saying no if i can't also get the Libra 2 system as i feel this would be such a help.
I am also told it depends if I meet the criteria & no one ever tells you what the criteria is in advance so you can prepare.
I know you can pay for this but that would not be an option for me.
Is their anyone who has had experience of this & knows the best way to approach this situation.
I would be very grateful for any advice.
Thanking you in advance.
Stay Safe All.
John.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All.
I have now been told i have to go onto insulin & tablets & am waiting to hook up with Nurse as i have seen my consultant.
I have concerns & am at the point of saying no if i can't also get the Libra 2 system as i feel this would be such a help.
I am also told it depends if I meet the criteria & no one ever tells you what the criteria is in advance so you can prepare.
Is their anyone who has had experience of this & knows the best way to approach this situation.
Thanking you in advance.
Stay Safe All.
John.

Hi John, the criteria can be found on the nhs 'NICE' site if you are in the UK. I would be most surprised if they gave it to you straight away as there seems to be a lot of hoops to jump through. The tendency seems to be for them to 'see how you go' for a year or three, and then take it from there! Why have they decided to put you on insulin if you don't mind me asking?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All.
Thanking you in advance.
Stay Safe All.
John.
Hi John,

I don't know about the CGM requirements in your area, but just wanted to check whether insulin really is the only option for you. What medication are you currently on, have you changed your diet to low carb at any point, and are you still producing your own insulin? T2 mainly is a problem of making so much insulin you become insensitive to it, so putting more in then is kind of counter productive... You'd need ever increasing amounts. If, however, your pancreas is just giving up the ghost after 10 years, insulin would indeed be required. Any idea whether you've been checked for that? Do you check your own bloods (just a finger prick, not a CGM), and can you let us know what your numbers are? or your HbA1c? Should you not have tried a change in diet towards low carb yet, you might want to have a read here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Good luck eh!
Jo

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All.
Thanking you in advance.
Stay Safe All.
John.

Provision of the Libre depends greatly on the instructions and guidance issued by your local Care Commissioning Group to your GP.
I was told that my blood glucose was too well controlled to get Libre on prescripton. I pointed out it was well controlled 'because' I was self funding the Libre but all I got was a 'sorry - can't do anything unless the guidance changes'.
Just ask and see what happens.

John.Mck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lockdown
Hi John, the criteria can be found on the nhs 'NICE' site if you are in the UK. I would be most surprised if they gave it to you straight away as there seems to be a lot of hoops to jump through. The tendency seems to be for them to 'see how you go' for a year or three, and then take it from there! Why have they decided to put you on insulin if you don't mind me asking?
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me Been on tablets for 9 years + G.P sent me to consultant did usual stuff spoke to my G.P Consultant had a graph chart of me on screen said once he had blood results which he arranged for immediate with same day back to him.
He told me it would either be insulin once a day + tablets or insulin twice a day.
3 days later letter arrived insulin + tablets now waiting for appointment.
I don't know the name for this one i have got he did tell me but it was in Latin .Right last night i went to bed checked just prior reading 17.9 3.55 am did early check 9.7 6.30am got up reading 15.9 only thing i had between that time was a sip of water.

John.Mck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lockdown
Provision of the Libre depends greatly on the instructions and guidance issued by your local Care Commissioning Group to your GP.
I was told that my blood glucose was too well controlled to get Libre on prescripton. I pointed out it was well controlled 'because' I was self funding the Libre but all I got was a 'sorry - can't do anything unless the guidance changes'.
Just ask and see what happens.
Hi Urbrancer.
Hope u r ok Thanks for getting back to me.
I have spoken to age concern & they spoke to my MP.
I have been told after checks i should fit the criteria any problems go straight back to them.
So we will see fingers crossed.

Reactions: urbanracer