New diagnosis

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah definitely, think the Vit D is more or less in hand now.. next time I speak with GP/Nurse I'm gonna run the lack of fasting past them and request a second test.

They aren't keen on them though as they have to transport the sample straight to the hospital. Last time the nurse who took the blood had to leave straight away with it...
But it's to your benefit to get an accurate diagnosis.
Maybe remind them of that small fact...

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can usually go & get bloods done at the hospital. You could check if that’s an option. I did a urine c-peptide which I was advised to eat 2hrs before hand. Came back at 1.6ug so def T1

Reactions: Carl40

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
But it's to your benefit to get an accurate diagnosis.
Maybe remind them of that small fact...

Definitely. Don't mind if the result is the same - think the certainty will make a difference to how things are going forwards.

Thanks..

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I can usually go & get bloods done at the hospital. You could check if that’s an option. I did a urine c-peptide which I was advised to eat 2hrs before hand. Came back at 1.6ug so def T1

Thanks.. never had that option but am waiting a call back from the nurse on an unrelated matter.. will see what she says when she calls. Hospital would be fine for me.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you and that sounds amazing - great effort!

This forum is great and its nice to be able to discuss all issues with such a wide range of people... couldn't agree more.

Not sure I've quite got my head around what the long-term negatives are of using insulin vs low carb though!
Yes, it is a great forum.
For me the long term negative was that as a T2 I was insulin resistant so injecting more insulin was actually making the insulin resistance worse and it became harder to control blood sugars. On top of that, even with all the insulin I was injecting, I began to get neuropathy in my right foot. Mild at first and then it gradually became more and more numb. So from low risk of amputation to medium risk and then well on the way to high risk.

Eyes went from absolutely fine at the beginning of the 4 years on insulin to not very fine and needing injections into my eyes to save my sight. I was actually in a very bad place when I found this forum.

Moving onto low carb and being able to ditch the insulin has resulted in a right foot again becoming low risk and eyes not at risk anymore.

Cutting the carbs was hard for me at the beginning but I watched the Panorama programme which really scared me as I had no idea that so many T2s had foot amputations. I would queue up to get my coffee at Costa Coffee, next to the rows and rows of sweet treats, and would repeat a mantra in my head. I would ask myself what do I want - eat the carbs or keep my eyes and feet. Eyes and feet always won. I think I brainwashed myself because I look at carbs now and think Yuk Yuk Yuk.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I've read a few similar stories. Cards on the table though - I like my carbs and would be ok with continuing with my meds providing its not going to do me more harm than good.

My blood sugar levels are great at the moment, very much under control but need to understand this much better to form a decision as to whether to try low carb. Did cut them back a lot but not sure i'd want to reduce them so much for little reward, if that makes sense!

Assuming you are type 2 and producing high levels of your own insulin

The extra injected insulin is currently getting your bgl down. However you will have extra high circulating insulin as a result of this and your own production.

Hyperinsulemia in and of itself is a problem, even when it is controlling bgl. In fact it’s how most type 2 begins. The body needs more and more insulin to successfully regulate normal bgl. Insulin resistance increases (in part at least to the cells being bathed in insulin) and more is needed etc until eventually it no longer achieves its goal and bgl begin to rise despite you pumping out all that insulin. Adding more insulin by injection controls the bgl but adds to the insulin resistance and the problems potentially caused by hyperinsulemia.
  • Higher triglyceride levels.
  • High uric acid.
  • Hardening of the arteries (artherosclerosis)
  • Weight gain and obesity
  • Hypertension
  • Coronary heart disease
  • Cardiovascular

There are studies about how medication whilst apparently maintaining adequate bgl does not prevent the complications of type 2 diabetes. In part at least due to increasing insulin resistance over time for the above reasons and also partly unambitious targets.

Obviously it’s entirely your own (informed) decision but this is why I chose to manage it by addressing the underlying problems of hyperinsulemia and insulin resistance first and foremost and only using medication if or when this fails in addition to lifestyle choices - not instead of them.

My parting shot is many that now happily and successfully low carb believed they’d never give them up or be miserable doing so and have been very pleasantly surprised. Once you step off that glucose rollercoaster and feel the benefits of better bgl, better weight management, improved bp, better sleep, more mental clarity, lack of hunger pangs etc etc it can be quite a powerful motivator. Then you have the excitement of learning about new foods and ways of preparing them that many that did little more than nuke a ready meal find they actually really enjoy. Have a look in the success stories thread and you’ll see what I mean.

SallyJess

Hi , I’m exactly the same as you... I’ve had the call to tell my blood test has shown I’m “ on the cusp” of type 2... nurse them left it there and I’m seeing her Friday..... I really don’t know what I’m going to be told from there ....