Encouraging results I think ?

Keano100

So my diagnosis was March 23rd with Hba1c of 101

test yesterday was 52. I decided not to take medication so this is just with exercise mainly walking and diet. I’ve lost 9kg as well. I realise this is still above range. But should I be happy with these results? Also the tests were only 10 weeks apart. So if I’d gone another 2 weeks would probably been even lower.

On another note my Urea serum was slightly high at 7.2 range said 7.1 ? But I understand this can be dehydration and was very hot. Just wanna say thanks for great advice on this forum.

Reactions: Jo123

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I second what @Goonergal says, brilliant result after less than the usual 3 months!

Keano100

Cool thanks I was hoping for anything below 60 so pretty pleased. Although that does equate to average bloods of about 8. And my readings rarely been above 8. So was possibly hoping below 50 but I’ll take 52. Any advice on the urea result ?

Keano100

Just wanted to get an idea if there’s an accurate marker for how far the Hbac test goes back in terms of time. My tests were only 10 weeks apart with my reading at 52. Is it likely I had a slight overlap. So like maybe 2 weeks before I started altering diet and exercising and therefore the 52 is slightly inaccurate ?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Just wanted to get an idea if there’s an accurate marker for how far the Hbac test goes back in terms of time. My tests were only 10 weeks apart with my reading at 52. Is it likely I had a slight overlap. So like maybe 2 weeks before I started altering diet and exercising and therefore the 52 is slightly inaccurate ?
Hba1c covers 3 months with a slight bias towards the current month

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the previous posters- great result and I am sure the next one will be even better- well done.

Reactions: Keano100

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great result @Keano100 after such a short time. If you continue with your new regime you will be likely non diabetic next A1c. Keep tuning in to the forum, I am still discovering things after nearly four years. Best wishes, well done.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Really outstanding progress! Also, the HbA1c reading is based on an average 3 months turnover of red blood cells. Some people have a slower complete turnover and some faster. Your next HbA1c may well put you into the non-diabetic range. A great result so far!

Keano100

Thanks for the best wishes. Seriously this place saved me. Was in so much shock when got diagnosed and would have gone straight on to medication without this place. Just out of curiosity people saying I might get into non diabetic range. Is that something I could realistically maintain? I won’t be able to keep up level of walking I’ve been doing just on a time basis. But Is it like I might have switched something on in my body and kind of cured myself or really I’m still diabetic and just controlling it with diet and exercise?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the best wishes. Seriously this place saved me. Was in so much shock when got diagnosed and would have gone straight on to medication without this place. Just out of curiosity people saying I might get into non diabetic range. Is that something I could realistically maintain? I won’t be able to keep up level of walking I’ve been doing just on a time basis. But Is it like I might have switched something on in my body and kind of cured myself or really I’m still diabetic and just controlling it with diet and exercise?
In my view you will always be diabetic because you are controlling the disease with how you eat. If you return to esting freely, esp carbs, you will dip into diabetic numbers again. If you continue to follow LC way of eating you have the chance to reduce BG further or maintain current levels. I would just add there are exceptions to this but in the main it works. I am almost 4 years following LC and the A1cs after dx were 41, 36, 36, 36. However I have had to reduce my daily levels of carbs lately due to increased BG readings. Exercise is good on so many levels but IMO what you eat (or dont eat) is more effective. Best wishes.

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
Just wanted to also add my congrats. It makes all the hard work worth it in the end.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity people saying I might get into non diabetic range. Is that something I could realistically maintain?
Many of us have and do .. some for extended periods so yes it is possible..

But Is it like I might have switched something on in my body and kind of cured myself or really I’m still diabetic and just controlling it with diet and exercise?

Depends.. and depends what you go back to doing.. restarting what made you sick before is never a great idea.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats, that's remarkable results within 10 weeks. I reduced my a1c in 3 months from 78 to 34, but i was on really VLC diet and partly it improved after i improved my insulin resistance. I was outside UK so was able to test my fasting insulin levels to understand my resistance and the number was 3 which is fairly good. In my experience a1c results even from lab still have a few % margin of error, so i will trust my own BG readings and come to a mean than my a1c. And yes, once a diabetic, always a diabetic so the disease is there but with low-carb we can put it in remission. The day we start going back to high carb food, things will start getting worse again. I still feel the diabetics who can control their BGs with just diet are lucky and they should always appreciate this and not indulge themselves in high-carb food ever.