insulin weight gain

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all I'm on insulin and my sugars are still unstable but the problem i have is i cant loose weight so I'm thinking of changing my diet but unsure as to what. my stomach lately balloons after eating a couple of slices of wholemeal bread i haven't had any today and its not so bad i was thinking of going on a vegetarian diet but reading into it it has increased carbs. i have raised my concerns with my DN and she is looking into something to help me loose weight which will probably mean more drugs. can anyone help me please

Reactions: Duncan Lord

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome to the viscous circle.

May I ask have you ever tried a low carb diet, or very low carb diet? It’s normally great for weight loss?

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome to the viscous circle.

May I ask have you ever tried a low carb diet, or very low carb diet? It’s normally great for weight loss?
thanks

no i havent tried those as they scare me

Beating-My-Betes

hi all I'm on insulin and my sugars are still unstable but the problem i have is i cant loose weight so I'm thinking of changing my diet but unsure as to what. my stomach lately balloons after eating a couple of slices of wholemeal bread i haven't had any today and its not so bad i was thinking of going on a vegetarian diet but reading into it it has increased carbs. i have raised my concerns with my DN and she is looking into something to help me loose weight which will probably mean more drugs. can anyone help me please

I've noticed a few different things when it comes to bread and bloating:

- General hydration levels. If I am dehydrated I tend to bloat easily with grains, especially bread.

- Not chewing properly. Carbs/starches start being digested in the mouth, with amylase starting to break things apart. This results in a semi-fluid mass, called chyme. Of course, chewing thoroughly is good practice for all foods. No specific amount of chews, but as close to liquid as one can 'stomach'.

- Swallowing air. This is related to the above point, in the sense that it can be the result of eating too quickly. And as with the above, slowing down, and generally being more mindful when eating, can make a great difference.

optimist1

thanks

i have raised my concerns with my DN and she is looking into something to help me loose weight which will probably mean more drugs.
I don't know of a med that works better for an insulin resistant T2, than a low carb diet. It may be worth doing more reading in the low carb forum here.
Both SGLT2 and GLP-1 are 2 meds that can help with BG and weight loss and may be what the DN is considering. I'm on a GLP-1. For me it works with a low carb diet.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
they have given me SGLT2 but im not to take it till she has had a consult with the diabetic specalists at the hospital on the 21st june

Reactions: optimist1

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks

There is no need to fear it, I treated it as a game, I downloaded an app called myfitnesspal (this was several years ago so this may not exist but I’m sure there would be similar) I recorded what I ate on the app, at the end of each day I would look at the highest carb item for that day and not eat that tomorrow, then the next highest and so on. At first I looked at 30g a day of carbs as a ridiculous target but soon realized it was very achievable, without hunger or feeling deprived. (Except bread- never got over bread cravings). Give it a try! What have you got to loose? Best of luck with whatever you decide.