MDI bleeders

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)
For MDI users how often do you get a bleeder after injecting ? For me it seems to happen at least once a day and I have around 6-8 injections ( novopen) a day most days. Sometimes there’s a lump after as well and sometimes there’s not. I find lately I’m holding a tissue at the site for a few minutes to stop the post injection bleeding. I use 4mm pen needle tips….. just curious how often this happens to others

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
just curious how often this happens to others

Everyone is different and it does happen to me sometimes, but not that often. Have you tried talking to your diabetic nurse/team to see if they think that is normal or there is something wrong with your technique? 4mm pen tips as well, and a similar no of jabs. Does it happen when you inject your basal?

Mind you, I have a lot of padding so suspect that might make it less likely. :)

Reactions: Sharrryn

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For MDI users how often do you get a bleeder after injecting ? For me it seems to happen at least once a day and I have around 6-8 injections ( novopen) a day most days. Sometimes there’s a lump after as well and sometimes there’s not. I find lately I’m holding a tissue at the site for a few minutes to stop the post injection bleeding. I use 4mm pen needle tips….. just curious how often this happens to others

Hi there, do you change your needle every time? This issue was posed by a person on a course I was on and the answer was to ensure you used a different needle for each injection. The needles blunt very quickly and although some people can get away with using the same needle for a couple of days or more, some people cannot.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sharrryn do you pinch when you inject?
It seemed to go out of vogue but I think those of us with less padding find it better to pinch so the needle (even if it is only 4mm) doesn't got in so far.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone is different and it does happen to me sometimes, but not that often. Have you tried talking to your diabetic nurse/team to see if they think that is normal or there is something wrong with your technique? 4mm pen tips as well, and a similar no of jabs. Does it happen when you inject your basal?

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Seems to happen mostly with basal but not always. I’m a 38 year veteran of this disease so I think my technique is ok ;) …. But I will mention to my endo at next appointment

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, do you change your needle every time? This issue was posed by a person on a course I was on and the answer was to ensure you used a different needle for each injection. The needles blunt very quickly and although some people can get away with using the same needle for a couple of days or more, some people cannot.
I do change pen tip every time. Yes they do get blunt if we don’t.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sharrryn do you pinch when you inject?
It seemed to go out of vogue but I think those of us with less padding find it better to pinch so the needle (even if it is only 4mm) doesn't got in so far.
Yep I’m very thin and I still always pinch .. was taught that many many years ago and still follow that.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’m a 38 year veteran of this disease so I think my technique is ok ;) …. But I will mention to my endo at next appointment

You'd think your technique would be ok after 38 years. Is this a new phenomenon? (Maybe you are just a bleeder, and it's nothing to worry about.)

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'd think your technique would be ok after 38 years. Is this a new phenomenon? (Maybe you are just a bleeder, and it's nothing to worry about.)
Yep I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about but just seems to happen more often these days. Might need to rotate more diligently as well.

That's a lot of injections per day. You may want to consider 6mm needles for your pens. I had similar after years of injecting. Thing was my absorption rates were affected hence high blood sugars. If you have been injecting for a long time and your sugars are all over the place you may need a pump.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get bleeders quite a lot, usually once a day but don’t often need a tissue. If a site feels painful I also abort the attempt & try elsewhere.

I’ve only been injecting a year & have plenty of fat but it doesn’t seem to matter. My basal can sting, that’s also hit & miss, when it does there’s a lump that goes away after a few minutes.

I recently spread out my injection sites & started putting my basal in my leg, which seems to work out better. Body temp seems to affect things as well. Either too hot or too cold & im extra sensitive.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a lot of injections per day. You may want to consider 6mm needles for your pens. I had similar after years of injecting. Thing was my absorption rates were affected hence high blood sugars. If you have been injecting for a long time and your sugars are all over the place you may need a pump.
I was on a pump for 9 years and started having such problems with the pump and scar tissue and adsorption I went back to injections 4 years ago.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get bleeders quite a lot, usually once a day but don’t often need a tissue. If a site feels painful I also abort the attempt & try elsewhere.

I’ve only been injecting a year & have plenty of fat but it doesn’t seem to matter. My basal can sting, that’s also hit & miss, when it does there’s a lump that goes away after a few minutes.

I recently spread out my injection sites & started putting my basal in my leg, which seems to work out better. Body temp seems to affect things as well. Either too hot or too cold & im extra sensitive.
I’m the same when a site feels painful when I put the needle in I stop before actually injecting the dose and I start again and inject elsewhere ;)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Only time it ever happened to me is when I wear either a white or light coloured shirt

TypeZero.

If you get a lump it’s usually because the needle isn’t going into deep enough and you’re injecting insulin right under your skin. Make sure all of the syringe is inside you and if you’re still getting lumps then perhaps talk to doctor to get it changed to a longer needle.

I basically bleed 75% of the time I do injections. Maybe I’m biased but when I was on NovoRapid I never bled but with Fiasp I seem to bleed most of the time