It worked

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thank you to everyone who offered advice on my drinks situation and the adding of pink salt. It came in my shopping yesterday.
Today I have drank almost 3 litres of water that had pinch of salt, slice of lemon and some cucumber.
No I’ll effects and no headaches.
It is a blooming miracle.
Now it was stupidly hot (29 degrees) and by lunchtime (I started at 7.30am) I did feel completely done in and could easily have laid down for a kip. But 1 jelly baby later and I perked up. it was still a struggle and was harder than a normal day energy wise etc but I’m so happy I could drink all that and not feel rubbish. To drive home I felt very tired again so just had another jelly baby to make sure I got home ok.
I’m still thirsty and could happily have drank more but it was certainly better than previous when I couldn’t drink as much as I needed and still felt rough.
Now just a quickie, am I right in thinking a lump of cucumber because I’m not actually eating it, it’s just diffusing, that I don’t need to count carbs?

Reactions: LaoDan

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now just a quickie, am I right in thinking a lump of cucumber because I’m not actually eating it, it’s just diffusing, that I don’t need to count carbs?

I wouldn’t bother!

Glad the salt worked.

Reactions: woollygal

Beating-My-Betes

Having not read the original thread, I'm just guessing that this is about making one's own electrolyte drinks, for the benefits of greater hydration.

Not sure if you have a juicer, but what I do is juice a batch of ginger, lemon, celery and beetroot (Could easily add cucumber to that mix). From there, pour the juice into ice-cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to freezer-bags and freeze more of the juice (presumes you made a larger quantity. Then any time you have water, just grab one or two cubes.

Not sure how this would fit into low-carb macros, but I could probably calculate how it works out, next time I make a batch.

Reactions: KK123

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@woollygal I'm glad you have found something that is helping you drink more and definitely think the salt will have helped- I think it really stuck in my doctors craw to recommend I have more salt.

@Beating-My-Betes _ what advantages does your suggestion have over what the op has actually had-what electrolytes are there in it? what evidence is there to suggest that option? I'd also be interested in the amount of carbs and whether you have tested before and after. Do you drink it as is or dilute it? that may make a huge difference to the nutritional content.

I am very low carb- less than 20 grams a day and usually much less- my doctor had to tell me to up my salt intake which I have done. I personally could probably not tolerate your suggestion and wouldn't even give it a try without something to inform me as to why it may be a good option. So if there is something I would love to read it. If you could do the calculations also that would be great!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Having not read the original thread, I'm just guessing that this is about making one's own electrolyte drinks, for the benefits of greater hydration.

Not sure if you have a juicer, but what I do is juice a batch of ginger, lemon, celery and beetroot (Could easily add cucumber to that mix). From there, pour the juice into ice-cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to freezer-bags and freeze more of the juice (presumes you made a larger quantity. Then any time you have water, just grab one or two cubes.

Not sure how this would fit into low-carb macros, but I could probably calculate how it works out, next time I make a batch.
Like the beetroot, I’ve been using beetroot powder, supposedly the nitric oxide is beneficial

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I recently saw a "no hunger" electrolyte drink recipe which was the following:

In 32oz of water, add 1000mg sodium, 200mg potassium, and 50mg magnesium. Sip/drink through the day to avoid fasting shakiness, hunger pains etc. Keep making more/drinking as needed. More during heat, sweating etc.

I am still looking for the optimal method to get the minerals into the water though....something easier to do "on the fly".

The sodium is easy - I just add some good quality Himalayan pink salt. For potassium, I am using a pinch of "no salt" seasoning though, and for magnesium, I found some capsules of magnesium citrate (200mg), so I break them open and "guess" at 1/4 the amount.

Beating-My-Betes

[what advantages does your suggestion have over what the op has actually had-what electrolytes are there in it? what evidence is there to suggest that option? I'd also be interested in the amount of carbs and whether you have tested before and after. Do you drink it as is or dilute it? that may make a huge difference to the nutritional content.

I am very low carb- less than 20 grams a day and usually much less- my doctor had to tell me to up my salt intake which I have done. I personally could probably not tolerate your suggestion and wouldn't even give it a try without something to inform me as to why it may be a good option. So if there is something I would love to read it. If you could do the calculations also that would be great!

The benefit of juicing the mixture I'm suggesting is a much wider range and quantity of vitamins and minerals. Also, both beetroot and ginger are considered to be very anti-inflammatory. More than that, there is a lot of research into beetroot and it's effects on blood flow, respiratory function, especially as pertains to sports science.

These are my cubes :)

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 16.36.42.png

I still have a few bags like this, and not much freezer space, so I won't be making any more until some time next week. However, it should be quite easy to work out a general nutritional profile and carb reading. For you and anyone else on such a low level of carbs, however, I think the beets are going to be the sticking-point i.e You might not think the carb-load justifies being among your '20'. I'll try to do it in a way that the quantity could be scaled back to suit your macros. Even without the beets, I think that ginger, celery and lemon would be a good little tonic and help in boosting hydration.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The benefit of juicing the mixture I'm suggesting is a much wider range and quantity of vitamins and minerals.

But they’re not electrolytes, which was the subject of the original thread, which you admit to not having read.

Beating-My-Betes

But they’re not electrolytes, which was the subject of the original thread, which you admit to not having read.

Electrolytes are just minerals that hold electric charge. They include sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium, and are generally present in the food we eat. I've just whipped up a quick example:

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 18.21.36.png

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 18.21.46.png

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The benefit of juicing the mixture I'm suggesting is a much wider range and quantity of vitamins and minerals. Also, both beetroot and ginger are considered to be very anti-inflammatory. More than that, there is a lot of research into beetroot and it's effects on blood flow, respiratory function, especially as pertains to sports science.

These are my cubes :)

View attachment 50018

I still have a few bags like this, and not much freezer space, so I won't be making any more until some time next week. However, it should be quite easy to work out a general nutritional profile and carb reading. For you and anyone else on such a low level of carbs, however, I think the beets are going to be the sticking-point i.e You might not think the carb-load justifies being among your '20'. I'll try to do it in a way that the quantity could be scaled back to suit your macros. Even without the beets, I think that ginger, celery and lemon would be a good little tonic and help in boosting hydration.
I don’t think beetroot would work for me.
Think it would be too many carbs. Given it’s just a drink it would feel a waste to use carbs in a drink